Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Installing an inexpensive 6 to 12 volt converter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing an inexpensive 6 to 12 volt converter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing an inexpensive 6 to 12 volt converter
    Posted: 31 Dec. 2021 at 3:53pm
My CJ2A still has the stock 6 volt system, and I'm fine with it. But I've wanted to be able to run a GPS or charge my cell phone. I found out about a simple 6 to 12 volt step up converter, so I got one. Here is a short video about it and the installation on my jeep. 

Some folks have had good luck wiring an outlet directly into the 6v system. I tried that last year, but my phone woudn't charge that way. This is a simple solution for me.

Edited by ndnchf - 01 Jan. 2022 at 5:41am
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2021 at 11:56pm
Did the same installation on my CJ2A
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2022 at 6:01am
FYI,  this is the converter I used.

6V to 12V Step Up Converter, DROK DC 5V-11V to 12V Boost Converter Voltage Regulator Module 3A 36W Volt Transformer Power Supply for Car Stereo Radio
by DROK
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2022 at 6:36pm
I like it!  The video is very nice too Steve.

I did the same thing a couple of years ago.  I decided to go with the 10 Amp version since I have a couple more things to power at 12V.

And then I added this for the added flexibility of using up to 150W at 120V as well.  (I've just used it for my wall charger for my phone so far.)  With the 120V AC option, the "Wall charger" will "Fast Charge" my phone.  The USB outlets alone will only "slow charge" unfortunately.

I also did what you did; 6V to 12V Converter >>> Double Lighter Outlet Plug >>> 150W Power Inverter with 120V AC and USB

The same 10 Amp 6V to 12V Converter powers a CB Radio and a GMRS Radio!  I installed a 7 Amp fuse for the input of the 6V to 12V Converter and a 5 Amp Fuse on the output.  Neither has ever blow.  It makes the jeep so much more user friendly and keeps the original 6V system intact.
Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
 Post Reply Post Reply