Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing new crank pulley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing new crank pulley
    Posted: 05 Feb. 2023 at 8:08pm
Fellas, how difficult should it be to install a crank pulley? I just went through the process of stripping down the front of the motor to replace my front timing seal, gasket plus rear main seal and pan gasket.

I was able to get the pulley onto the key but had to wollap it a few times to get threads to show, then used the nut to get it on the rest of the way.

If this sounds bad, I’d rather hear now than having something go wrong after the reassembly process.

I don’t want to find out after the fact that I boogered up the (new) seal in the process.

This was a new pulley and I had to use a jaw puller to get the old one off. When I was struggling, I tried the old one and it had similar resistance.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2023 at 10:29pm
You should be ok, where did you source the new pulley ?, I’ve ordered from 3 different places and all 3 were not made correctly and rubbed on the timing cover.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
vtsteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2023 at 10:31pm
This was from army jeep parts….USA made double groove for M38
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 6:37am
sorry i cannot help with the primary issue. but just in case of future need, wollap is spelt wallop Ouch

i love the use of that word. makes ya laugh.

Edited by bight - 06 Feb. 2023 at 6:38am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 7:50am
The resistance doesnt sound out of ordinary unless you had to wack it hard. A light skim of grease on the crankshaft, and outer pully hub where it meets the seal will ease the installation.   Some leave the timing chain cover loose as the pully is installed to help keep the pully centered in the seal.
Also, there shouldnt be any paint on the hub where it rides the seal.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 8:15am
I have gotten them with paint, or rust in the bore. When I get one that is a little tight, a quick polish with a brake hone and oil does wonders.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
vtsteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 9:58am
I had to whack it pretty hard. I used a dead blow hammer onto a piece of 3" PVC conduit. Once threads were showing, the impact pushed it back pretty easily.

Had I been on my top game, I would have test-fit the pulley before putting the timing cover on.

I'll take a look at things this evening and decide if its prudent to remove the timing cover, scrape off the gasket sealer and put on a new gasket. Fingers crossed it all looks OK. The end game here is to stop leaks, and I'll be darned if I wouldnt' be mad to put it all back together to find that I boogered up my new timing seal.
vtsteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 10:02am
Old pappy, the surface was clean on the pulley where it meets the seal. I'll upload a photo from my phone of the crank/threads. They admittedly look a bit painted/not-smooth.
vtsteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 10:04am
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 10:34am
If you heat the crank gear it will go on easier.....
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
vtsteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2023 at 6:55pm
UPDATE….

I took the pulley back off tonight with a 2 jaw puller. It’s a beast of a pulley, way stouter than the stock one.

The timing seal is just fine. I attempted to measure how centered the cover /seal is by sticking my finger in and using a feeler gauge to determine the gap difference when pushing my finger against against the slinger relative to the edge of my fingernail. Non scientific but it’s probably 0.005 to 0.007” out of center. I can’t see the seal being that sensitive….I waited to crank the timing cover tight yesterday until after cranking down the nut.

I also cleaned the crank tip behind the threads and the inside of the new pulley and it went back on much easier

All is well…..
 Post Reply Post Reply