Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Instruments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Instrument Restorations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instrument Restorations
    Posted: 14 Dec. 2006 at 8:19pm
These are from my 48 2A s/n 212561

Edited by AlaskaCJ2A - 14 July 2010 at 7:43pm
48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

missadventure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2007 at 1:21am
Your photos have been "put in the attic". In other words... we can't see them!
1946 CJ2A / 1942 GPW "FrankenJeep" - 66963 body, 25334 frame
1996 XJ lifted on 33's
2001 TJ lifted on 33's
AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 7:44pm
Photos restored - sorry for the delay!
48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

Holy Toledo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 10:59pm
Timely photo post.  I was wishing for your photos to help in my restoration.  I just finished cleaning, replacing broken glass lens, and repainting my '46 guages.  After putting them back together I had a few questions that remained.  Your guages appear to be exactly the same as mine.  I found that the steel cases on only the oil pressure and ammeter guages had an OD green ting to them.   It was not paint but more like the cases had been plated a dark non-reflective finish.   The other cases cleaned up to be either tinned or zinc-plated steel in color.   Can you confirm  this or do you have additional side-view or rear-view pictures of the above guages?
  On a side note, I have had the '46 long enough to be redoing a previous restoration on these guages.  Part of the clean up process was to remove a poor paint job and overspray which I did 35 years ago as an enthusiastic  teenager.  I keep blaming that PO for all the extra work I am doing today but it has fallen on deaf ears.   
  My second question is to ask if there are exploded diagrams of both the fuel and ammeter showing the correct order of how all the nuts, split-lockwashers and insullated washers go correctly back on the terminals?  I have looked at Vernco.com for fuel guage information but it too has some gaps to this question.  I have search all my other references and this site to no avail.  I surely do not trust the work of that teenager!
  What I am really thankful for is all the advances in technology and the wealth of knowlege this Forum brings to me versus what that poor and ignorant teenager had to work with 35 years ago!
Thanks in advance.
Joel
uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:21am
Joel,
Come to Big Rapids and we can look at the ones in my 47 parts jeep   Very good shape..Thumbs Up
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Holy Toledo Holy Toledo wrote:

... My second question is to ask if there are exploded diagrams of both the fuel and ammeter showing the correct order of how all the nuts, split-lockwashers and insullated washers go correctly back on the terminals? ...
Have never seen any such.  There are drawings of the fuel gauge, showing how it works, but not how it's made.

I have a fuel gauge disassembled, but not a full set of photos yet.  The terminals are insulated by 2 wide OD & 1 narrow OD fiber washers.  The inner wide washers are installed here:

Then the 2 narrow washers, insulating the studs from the case hole, then the other 2 wide washers on the outside, then nuts.

(ignore the arrow, photo was made to illustrate internal ground)

Don't have an ammeter disassembled, but it would probably use the same insulating scheme.
Sean
Holy Toledo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holy Toledo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 1:01am
Thanks Steve, 
  I bought '47 with a hard top a few years ago for what I thought was for parts too.  It turned out that after learning a few things here at the Forum, my parts Jeep was a great time capsule of originality!  I have since changed my mind to do a full restoration on it too.  I hope to leverage my time and talents by doing similar restorations of both '46 and '47 concurrently.  In other words, do not look for me getting the '47 back on the road too soon.   
  I remember all to well laying on my back reaching up under the '46's dash for hours removing gauges and wire connections.  I was hoping someone (Thank you Sean) would have a few good quality pictures at their finger tips to share with me.  I see another unrelated posting recently occured with good pictures.  The pictures show where the deck cowling of a tub was cut out to reveal shots of the backside of a fully instrumented dash.  I have been looking at these too.   These pictures seems to be very helpful on many levels now and into the future.  

Joel
uncle steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 2:30am
Joel,
I will be cutting the top off the cowl/dash as well. Makes it  very easy to remove  ALL the under dash parts and brackets. If you need any 47 parts  PM me and I'll see what I have .. Keep up the good work on TWO...  Pm me your location in TC.. I am in the area a lot..
Uncle Steve, and I hate it when people say   " boy are you lucky " WHEN in fact..The harder you work, the luckier you are
 Post Reply Post Reply