Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting L134

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting L134
    Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 8:40am
I have come across a slightly different L134 for sale. Looking to get some info on it.

It has a block casting number of 908756. According to my research this was a later L134 block made between 1954 and 1964 (approximately), and supplied to DJ3As, CJ3As or some of the military variants. Possibly supplied as factory replacement engines, or as an industrial engine. 

The seller says that the serial number starts with 3JXXXXXX, so this would suggest it come out of a CJ3A, right? The front mounting plate tabs point in opposing directions, so this would tally with the 3A idea.

It turns over freely, and the seller says the internals look good and clean. Pistons are marked 020, so plenty of meat left for a clean up or rebore if necessary.

My questions: will the block bolt straight up to a CJ2A bellhousing or does it need a matching CJ3A bellhousing?
Any other mods required to get this to work in a CJ2A, other than changing out the engine mounting plate? I'm thinking of buying it as a spare, to be cleaned up and used or rebuilt as required. 

I've never seen the square "cut-outs" on the manifold mounting face of the block before. What are those for?

Cheers - Mike

1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
Floater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 11:27am
Interesting that the valve cover has no PCV valve - it has an old-style downdraft ventilation tube instead. Does this imply that the engine was installed in something that moved (to generate a downdraft)? Is the valve cover installed upside down?
"More time under it than in it..."

M201 Super Jeep
Plattsburgh, NY
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 11:48am
Interesting find. Someone with the block casting number info. should nail it for you. It has the extra webbing at the rear of the block which partially covers the 2a timing hole. Most buy the bolt on timing front cover scale and move timing up to the front. Pay attention to flywheel tooth count and whether it has tapered or straight shank large crankshaft to flywheel bolts. Now you need a supersonic head.Wink

Dual carburator intake also. Header, and you are all set to race. LOL LOL Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 12:10pm
The 908756 blocks were made at least to 1968 and possibly into the 70's overseas.  Any go devil bell should work, with the appropriate starter and ring gear.  The block and all moving internals are generic L134 fare, the bonus is factory hardened valve seats.  You'll want to sort out whether it was an industrial setup regardingthe intake (smaller bore), and the dizzy (no need for advance on a curve). The head may be an industrial as well, but the CR is probably still 6.48... I'd google the casting number just to see (plenty of folks run ind heads in jeeps to little effect.)

I have a 1968 908756 block on a stand right now provided under contract to hobart welders, it has a tag denoting it as a cj2a model  (it has an "RJ3xxxxxx" ESN, which I'm pretty sure means "replacement"), and a second 908756 that was pulled from a 3a though i doubt it started there

Edited by mbullism - 11 Dec. 2019 at 12:21pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 12:14pm
.... all set to race LOL

Edited by JeepSaffer - 11 Dec. 2019 at 12:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

The 908756 blocks were made at least to 1968 and possibly into the 70's overseas.  Any go devil bell should work, with the appropriate starter and ring gear.  The block and all moving internals are generic L134 fare, the bonus is factory hardened valve seats.  You'll want to sort out whether it was an industrial setup regardingthe intake (smaller bore), and the dizzy (no need for advance on a curve). The head may be an industrial as well, but the CR is probably still 6.48... I'd google the casting number just to see (plenty of folks run ind heads in jeeps to little effect.)

Good info. Thanks!

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

I have a 1968 908756 block on a stand right now provided under contract to hobart welders, it has a tag denoting it as a cj2a model.....

I'm not sure I understand this.... how can a CJ2A model engine be dated 1968? Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 12:26pm
...and what's the deal with the two square cutouts in the manifold attaching face?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

I'm not sure I understand this.... how can a CJ2A model engine be dated 1968? Confused

Entirely my point...it can't.  The hobart welder was on a navy tagged trailer and all the numbers "matched"...aka the ESN stamped in the block matches the esn on the Kaiser jeep riveted tag which also says model "CJ2a", the Kaiser tag info is on the USN trailer tag that which has a DOD 1968 and on the hobart tag.  I assume the cj2a model tag refers to the engine mount plate configuration because 2A's obviously weren't 1968, and an ESN of "RJ3" wouldn't fit if they were  
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

...and what's the deal with the two square cutouts in the manifold attaching face?

To be honest I've never specifically taken note of them on either of mine... I'll have to look, but even if there I don't know of any "purpose"... maybe just guide pins in a casting mold?  beyond my pay grade LOL
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 2:10pm
That's a Rockford clutch pressure plate.
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 3:54pm
The 90XXXX series numbers do not occur before 1959.
It's a late L-134 block casting.
The flywheel is only set up to accept an  8-12" clutch so I would estimate it to be 1959-1961.
Later flywheels will normally be set up to accept 2 clutch sizes.

The downdraft tube is correctly located at the rear of block however the tube should be mounted vertically and not diagonal.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 4:01pm
This is the next generation of block from the one I have in CHUG which also has a 3J serial number and most likely came in a DJ-3A from 58-59 It came with a down draft tube and mine had a Vacuum advance distributor but that may have been one of dads modifications. The Head which looks the same as this one had 6.48-1 compression ratio (well before I got a hold of it LOL now 7.2-1).

OH and I would say the two square recesses were to give a mechanic and easy place to tap up on the head to help get it to release.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 7:23pm
Down draft tube, but also PCV valve on the manifold.
BOULDER 48 2A
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Good catch Thumbs Up

The thermostat housing shown also appears to be for a center feed radiator.... fwiw
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2019 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

Making an assumption these come from the same engine originally. Same with the Head which with the Block retaining so much of its RED replacement engine color the Head is completely devoid of color save one tiny chip of Orange that looks to match the Manifolds but not the Block.

After 70 years I assume an engine is going to have mismatched parts more likely then be as sold.

Edited by Mark W. - 11 Dec. 2019 at 8:02pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2019 at 3:39pm
2x Mark. I think the square cut outs are to assist in head removal.... I would have paid to have those cut outs and a brass drift on occasion. I too, have never seen such a block.

Nice find, and all the way in South Africa! Were Jeeps built under license there or were they all imports?
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
jsashley2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsashley2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2021 at 5:49am
i recently picked up a 1949 CJ2A that had a similar motor.  the casting number is 908756 and stamped # of 1MB42632.  i find casting mark on driver side of  K 6 11.  not sure what date that is.    the  head only has Jeep casted on it no Willys.  Glad to hear these have harden valve seats.
Jerry Ashley
1949 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply