Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

iol light flickers hot idle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draft_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iol light flickers hot idle
    Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 9:08pm
oil light starts to flicker once engine is warmed up and is idling cj3b
suggestions?
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 1:16am
Oil light??? Mine just has a gauge, do you also have a pressure gauge? If so what does it read when the light flickers?

Most oil pressure sending units for idiot lights are set a bit high for the lower pressures that these engines see at warm idle. My VW Baja's sending unit was set to light at 5 PSI. The Willys will idle all day long at 5 PSI, which is within the Willys specs. If I used the VW sending unit on an idiot light on my Willys, it would flicker at the 5.5 PSI & light up at 5 PSI. I suspect that this is your issue.
draft_man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draft_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 5:57am
Thanks I guess I will have to hook up a gage. The engine sounds fine
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 2:00pm
From Ohio there are no indication lights that came stock on these old ladies.

Welcome to the forum.
Brett

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 3:16pm
draftman,
Sounds like you have a late model 3B with the large cluster gauge that includes "idiot" lights.

Unfortunately, I have an early 3B with individual gauges but agree that a separate pressure gauge attached to confirm pressure is smart. 

Additionally, there will be a few later model 3B (and DJ) owner's on the 3B Bulletin Board you may want to tap into.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
draft_man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draft_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 7:26pm
Thanks
I have a cj2a and always used this forum. Have it in my favorites menu. I guess I should pull up my socks and go to the cj3b forum hahaha Just purchased the CJ3B
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2018 at 8:08pm
I think it was 57 when they went to the round gauge and kept it till late 70's. And yes, they have all that info on the 3B page. I too run a 53 with the 5 gauges.
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Post Reply Post Reply