Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Google out of control?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Google out of control?
    Posted: 13 Sep. 2011 at 4:34pm
Why is a "search robot" attempting to write replies to threads?

At any time of day, Google has 20-30, sometimes more, "search robots" perusing the forum.  Not that I object to bots, they do serve a purpose, but IMO Google is way out of order here.

Quite often, Google bots outnumber real people!  Perhaps this might be related to the "search time-outs" we've been experiencing?  Google is just eating up too much bandwidth.  Even if not, Google has NO business trying to "write" replies!

Russ, is there any way to limit the number of simultaneous connections Google (or any bot) can make?

There are more "writes" than this photo shows, it's only what I could see on-screen w/out scrolling:

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2011 at 4:57pm
I've noticed the same thing.  My best guess is that Google's web crawlers are simply following every link on every page, so they are also hitting the reply link in threads and the result is what we see.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2011 at 5:06pm
None of the other bots do it (Bing, Yahoo, Baidu, plus a few others).  Google certainly has the ability to know what NOT to follow.

The other bots don't abuse the privilege either; have never seen more than 2 simultaneous connections from any of them.  If there's a way to limit Google, it should be so.

Sean
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2011 at 5:10pm

I agree that Google seems to be crawling more actively than the others.

When I have a moment or you do, we can troll around the Web Wiz site and forum to find out what options are out there, if any.  
Sam

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2011 at 6:06pm
Well, one solution is to begin banning batches of Google robot IP addresses from the site, but I think a better solution is suggested by this snippet I found in response to a question about how to limit Googles impact on bandwidth"

". . . . I do not believe the reader’s intention was to exclude all of his Web pages from Google search engine results pages (SERPs). He just wants Google not to request pages from his server so often.

"Google actually has a Web page with this information and an email address. This is a direct quote from Google’s Webmaster FAQs page:

" 'Please send an email to googlebot@google.com with the name of your site and a detailed description of the problem. Please also include a portion of the weblog that shows Google accesses, so we can track down the problem more quickly on our end.' "

Sam

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2011 at 6:22pm
I really don't think its a problem, google has been doing it all along just with this version the active users are separated in categories.

And as far as bandwidth goes we are not even at 40% of our monthly quotas.

And I am not aware of anyway to limit the connections of a single bot, but there might be a way.

One last thing are you still getting timeouts since the update?

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2011 at 6:41pm
Yes.
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2011 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

. . . . One last thing are you still getting timeouts since the update?
I still get some timeouts.  If I am searching all forums, then it is more likely, but I do not always get a timeout.   When I have limited my search to a single forum, I do not get timeouts.

Overall, it is much better since the upgrade, but there are still some issues.
Sam

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2011 at 9:21pm
looks like using the advanced search and selecting show results as topics causes a time out almost every time for me. Is that the case for the rest of you?

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2011 at 9:43pm
I think that I almost always choose the results as posts rather than topics.  In that case, I find that that the likelihood of the search timing out is strongly correlated with the sparseness of the results.  In other words, if the search must go through the entire database to find the results, then the timeout is most likely to occur.  If you pick an absolutely common term such as "Willys", it will find 100 results very quickly and not time out.   I doubt that you ever get a timeout if you are not using the Advanced Search because, in that case, you are search only within a single forum.

I'm pretty sure that, with the current size of the forum (number of posts) that any search that requires going through most or all of the database will time out with the default setting of 60 seconds.   If there is not an option to completely index the text of every post, I think that the only solution is to increase the length of the timeout period.  I doubt that choosing "topics" vs. "posts" as the output will have any impact because the search will require the same amount of time.

Sam

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2011 at 9:49pm
At the moment, I'm having a hard time making it time out even when I pick terms that don't exist in the posts! LOL

Edited by samcj2a - 15 Sep. 2011 at 10:07pm
Sam

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2011 at 2:15pm
I still get timeouts on 3-word "phrase" searches, but overall, it's working fairly well again.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2011 at 4:05pm
Dragging this back kicking and screaming.  Earlier I had said:
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

... other bots don't abuse the privilege either; have never seen more than 2 simultaneous connections from any of them ...
.. but the tables have turned now. "Baidu" and "Bing" now comprise 90-95% of the bots.

"Active user" stats from earlier this morning:
12 Member(s), 12 Guest(s), 40 Search Robot(s)
Nearly twice as many bots as real people!  Of the 40 bots,  split was about 70%/30% Baidu/Bing

And this:
Search Robot Baidu 	180.76.5.155  	Viewing Topic	 L134 Distributor
Search Robot Baidu  180.76.5.99    Viewing Topic  L134 Distributor
Search Robot Baidu  180.76.6.224   Viewing Topic  L134 Distributor
Search Robot Baidu  180.76.5.96    Viewing Topic  L134 Distributor
Search Robot Baidu  180.76.5.100   Viewing Topic  L134 Distributor
5 different Baidu bots on the same topic?  plus others

"Baidu" is a Chinese language search engine (aka the "Chinese" google), and is getting lots of bad press from other sites, even ignoring "robots.txt" rules.

Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

... as far as bandwidth goes we are not even at 40% of our monthly quotas ...
Russ, this is not about monthly data quotas, but impacts server responsiveness.  The more of these bots there are slamming the site, the slower the server is to "serve up" pages to real users.

What happened w/Google?  Were you able to limit the connections?  Can the same be done w/Baidu & Bing?

Sean
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2011 at 5:00pm
I can see blocking the Chinese spider, since we have no members from china that I am aware of, besides spammers.

But really overall we are not even close to putting a strain on the servers with the amount of users that come to the forum. As you can see the most in the last there months was 95 users on at the same time, this software/server setup is designed to handle users in the hundreds.

I can block the crawlers but I would not expect to see any difference in speed of the forum, it has more to do with who else is on the server and how efficiently the host manages the spikes in traffic that come along.

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2011 at 3:22pm
Russ:
Quote ... But really overall we are not even close to putting a strain on the servers with the amount of users that come to the forum. As you can see the most in the last there months was 95 users on at the same time, this software/server setup is designed to handle users in the hundreds....
I don't know how many servers webwiz has, but they certainly host many other forums besides us.  If the bots are hitting those as hard as they're hitting us, it all adds up.

I have no way to gauge the impact these bots cause.  But every connection requires CPU time, the more connections, the slower the response, to greater or lesser degree.

In the past, "page generated" times were typically under .100 seconds.  They are now typically over .300 seconds, sometimes more.

I won't belabor the point.  Just my personal pet peeve with these obnoxious search engines.

Sean
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2012 at 3:09pm
BAIDU is gone! Thumbs Up Hurrah! Clap
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2012 at 3:28pm
I agree that it seemed like it was overdoing its welcome and it did not seem that much good for mankind was being done by having a Chinese language search engine index the forum exhaustively.  Thumbs Up
Sam

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2012 at 3:40pm
I just tried several searches and think things are much improved except that it would be nice if Russ would lift the 100 result limit again. The searches where there are many positive results are returned in just a few seconds. Those with several words, not all of which are satisfied, are returned in fairly short order too. The longest search that I did was where there were three words, but at least one was obscure but present with the others at least a few times.  Even that one did not time out.  I have to attribute it to the absence of Baidu, although we'll have to see what happens over time.
Sam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>