Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the Jeep Wrangler in the lineage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2016 at 8:29pm
F1 to minivan. Man must have winked at the bosses wife.Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2016 at 9:39pm
Or the boss's boyfriend.
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2016 at 10:44pm
Mini vans saved a company, thats pretty good. Iococca may have made the mustang but he saved chrysler until he left.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2016 at 3:08am
Didn't mean to disrespect minivans. I owned and and drove a Caravan from 1985 until 2012. Just seemed like a step back in prestige to go from the glamor of the F1 program to the work-a-day practicality of the minivan program.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2016 at 3:47am
I worked on the  launch of the minivans thru 98 and had several in the family. Spent time in the St louis and Windsor plants. Worst one had the Mitsubishi v6. Any other thread I would worry about drifting from the original topic, but since this post was meant to create controversy, so be it.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2016 at 3:48am
Hey Keith,

How much involved was the Army with the jeep prototype. Did they actually do any mechanical engineering or were they just "idea men".
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2016 at 4:50am
Bob Brown did much of the heavy lifting as I recall.
Interesting that he was not called into the FCC hearings even though he attended the first meetings with Bantam and was involved with Howie.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2016 at 5:03am
I was just wondering if it was one of those deals where the Quartemaster Corp says, "I have an idea, I want a tough and dependable 4x4 vehicle that can go anywhere, run on anything, is small, light weight, and doesn't cost anything." Bantam makes the "idea" into a reality, and the Army gets the patent because it was their "idea".

I work in engineering as do some of you and this a very irritating.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr. 2016 at 12:03pm
The minivan concept was originally a Ford idea. Iaccoca took it with him to Chrysler and beat his former employer to the punch. A major screw up on Ford's part to let that happen.

Bill
Holy Toledo! Jeep Calendars and the Dispatcher Jeep magazine

http://dispatchermagazine.com
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 10:39pm
I've got both a plastic fender 2009 unlimited rubicon JK and a flat fender CJ2a.

I get to look at them from above and underneath often enough. I gotta say they are unmistakably related and "in the lineage."

First of all, mine are both redish. 

Is the JK more cushy? yeah sure. but let me take the top off, take the doors off, fold down the windshield, shift the real transfer case lever in to 4 low and drive you up the mountain in the snow until your nuts freeze off. Just as "tough guy" wet and frozen as the flatty.  (Ok it does ride a lot nicer, and the heater works better, and the heated seats are nice for winter wheeling...)

Both have real frames, real live axles. 

Hold a picture of either one up to anyone in the world and they will all say, "Jeep."

(on the other hand, hold up a picture of an FJ25 or an FJ40 Land Cruiser and they'll still say "nice Jeep!" Drives the Land Cruiser guys crazy.)

Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by stude-a-willys stude-a-willys wrote:

I've got both a plastic fender 2009 unlimited rubicon JK and a flat fender CJ2a.

I get to look at them from above and underneath often enough. I gotta say they are unmistakably related and "in the lineage."

First of all, mine are both redish. 

Rudy always makes me smile.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 11:55pm
There's one D in Rudy but two in Reddish...

besides, yours isn't a Wrangler... It's a Rudycon! Or was that Rudicon?

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 10:47am
In comparison, I had to interject this: 1945 Willys MB 17 MPG, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, TJ 2.5 , 5 speed, 17 MPG. Nothings changed. LOL
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 1:50pm
Thanks for the spelling correction there, Joe Friday.

Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 3:16pm
Last August we were wheeling a mixed group of Jeeps ( 1 CJ2A, 1 Cj3B, 1 CJ7, 1 TJ modified, 2 TJ Rubicons).  A huge down pour came for about an hour.  All were stuck in the mud for hours - Nothing has changed.  Only note-able change was the winch technology.  The PTO Winches pulled over 3,500 feet of winch cable that day without overheating, and modern winches were of little use after they got hot.

Edited by Stev - 15 Mar. 2017 at 3:18pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2017 at 4:26pm
I guess that gives the Studewillys a few extra cool points due to it's 'unique' PTO winch!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 9:27pm
Last night we went by the local Jeep gathering at the Local Lube restaurant.  JKs - heavily modified riggs over 100 of them mostly 4 door, lifted.  Electric winches and automatic transmissions with minivan engines.  One guy described them as Mall Crawlers.  Huge tires, long arm extensions, LED lights, and so on.  One of the guys we talked to said he and another guy were the only ones with manual transmissions - he said when he gets his next Jeep it will be an automatic so he does not get "Clutch knee" - I did not even know that was a thing.  The guy was like 35 years old.

So at what point did they stop being Jeeps as we know them - might be the automatic transmissions or  the minivan engine or the point where  you can"t do the Jeep wave and need a sticker or an app on your phone to wave for you.

Edited by Stev - 15 June 2017 at 9:29pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 11:48pm
This has nothing to do with jeeps, but the minivan engine makes me laugh. I don't know what engine it is but it probably makes as much hp and torque as an old la 318 did, just not at the same rpms. Hell, I love old chrysler "look at my name on here", but some old engines are just that. I have 400 bb in my 80s ram and I think it's a huge 200 hp and 300 ft/lbs!!!!! Wow "sarcastically"!!!! One thing old engines will have and that's "sound", even small old jeep engines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567