Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It was a barn find in Maple Ridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2018 at 2:23am
I have been just itching to get the tires all mounted up so today was the day and what a difference new tires make.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 12:12am
So it has been a while since I have been able to work on the jeep , life gets busy and next thing you know a couple of months have gone by and just about every day I want to get out to the shop , and finally today I did.
so first things first start up the jeep and move it out side to get back at the body work only to find gas pouring out of the carb all around the top,
so off with the carb to find the float wasn't floating any more, I do have a spare Carter carb that I swapped the float out of and I will look at the non floating float later, now on to the body work and the drivers side fender and as Gill said use fine paper with a block , it felt good to get a little time in on the jeep today and with spring nearly here it time to get busy   
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 12:53am
Nice to see you’re back at it Andy.Its looking good.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2019 at 4:11am
Just a beautiful day here on the west coast to do some more body work, so I am at the point that I will start tearing it all down to begin painting                           
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2019 at 12:51am
Wow Andy your Jeep is coming together real nice .Keep up the good work and the pictures coming.Where you’re at now it should be painted in no time.Thumbs Up

1946 cj2a 59108
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 4:23am
Well it was very tough tearing apart the jeep being able to run it around the street as it was so close but it was time to start on paint with removing the tub , so with the tub off I decided to paint in two steps first with the bottom this way there are no missed spots and after the paint has dried and a little help from some strong lads( son and son-in-law's) we will flip it over and I can continue with my version of pasture green.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 4:35am
Looking amazing Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 4:47am
Andy,

I just went back and read all your posts here. It’s pretty amazing when you go back and look at what you started with. I think my tub is not quite as bad as the one you started with (lucky me).

I need you to come by soon and give me some direction on how to do the bodywork on mine.

That looks great.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Edited by 92889 - 26 Apr. 2019 at 7:43am
15 Field RCA
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 11:40am
Just reread your whole build. looks great! Any I love me some green!  Wink
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Just reread your whole build. looks great! Any I love me some green!  Wink

Now that's funny...X2!  I picked up a couple things along the read, too.  Great work Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 2:16pm
Shadow, did you cover two sides of your Eazy-Up 'paint booth' with the blue tarps and leave the other sides open during painting? Or did you enclose all 4 sides and use a fan for ventilation? Was controlling overspray an issue with this set up (with the neighbors)? I'm contemplating a similar 'spray booth' for painting my M100 trailer tub in the driveway, using an Eazy-Up.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 3:37pm
I used a tarp on one side only and painted in the morning when there is no wind and only a slight breeze if any, instead of using my old siphon feed paint gun I used my new old gravity feed Devilbs finish line paint gun and wow what a difference , with the old siphon feed I would get a lot of over spray and my little compressor had a hard time keeping up forcing me to paint small parts and then wait for the air to build, with the gravity feed I have lower air use and way less overspray with that more paint on the body and much less in the air, one of the things I like with the gravity feed gun is the paint container it has it uses a disposable cup that is sealed with a soft liner that collapses as the paint is used so there is no vent on the paint pot for paint to drip out on your work and you can hold the gun in any position and still spray, one of the other benefits is cleanup with the liner and light blue base is disposable leaving only the gun to clean and that is also easier too, as for the neighbours I painted on a weekday when nearly everyone is away at work so there are no cars close by and it helps with low VOC products, last year when I painted some small parts I used a small car tent with furnace filters and box fans and the siphon feed gun and it was all I could do with the overspray in the tent, it was like working in a cloud even with the big box fans running on hi speed that why I tried something different.

Edited by shadow - 26 Apr. 2019 at 4:08pm
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 3:50pm
Here are some images of the paint gun I used for a long time with great success and now my new favorite, you can see the soft liner and blue cap and it also has a filter/strainer in it too.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2019 at 5:49pm
Thanks, good info--you gave me confidence that I can paint my M100 in the driveway with minimal fallout--from both the paint and the neighbors! Good strategy of shooting during a weekday.
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2019 at 4:26am
So I was able to get a couple of strong body's and the tub is upright, now for some final sanding with 400 grit paper and touch up some spots I have noticed with the body out in the sunlight , in the past when I painted equipment and trucks way back I never sanded to 400 grit the most I would go is 220 or 320 but after seeing the results from 400 and guide coat to see the sanding marks that I would not have seen before and that's why I am going over the tub again.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 5:04am
So due to limited time this weekend I was only able to prime the body and prep for the final colour this comming weekendHad a chance to go visit Jon this weekend too and the progress he is making and see his body rotisserie, that will make it much easier for the body work
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Andy, thanks for posting your progress--very inspiring to those of us who've gotta be creative in painting their jeep parts in confined spaces (i.e., the driveway). You've given me some good ideas for my 2A and M100 projects.
ACM #124334
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:53pm
Andy,

Thanks for the visit, I appreciate the advice on where to start with the bodywork. Looking forward to see you rolling up to my shop in your newly painted jeep.

Your not far now.
Looks great.
15 Field RCA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 25>