Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's Not a Jeep, but it's a Crawler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's Not a Jeep, but it's a Crawler
    Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 4:06am
Sorry, no Jeeps were driven today, but I thought some of you might enjoy these pictures. However, the Targhee National Forest has some great roads for touring around in old Jeeps. We've spent a lot of fine days doing just that.

This was my view for a part of the day today as we helped out at our daughter and son-in-law's farm about 5 miles east of Ashton, Idaho. He's the 4th generation on the farm and they're working hard to keep it going. We help out when we can. Today we moved some equipment around and helped preg check a bunch of cows. The cows never take kindly to that and always manage to make things interesting. 

That's the Fall River canyon out front of the right corner of the bucket. The farm is just a few miles outside the Yellowstone Park boundary. The barley is all cut and most of it is headed to one of your favorite breweries. Enjoy! 

The fall colors have started to fade but it was still a glorious day, despite a few snow flurries. This is the view looking east from the corral. The snow covered Teton Mountains are just below that heavy cloud cover.  The southern plateaus of YNP are to the left.

This old saw mill next to the corral where we worked the cows cut a lot of lumber for this and neighboring farms over the years.

Edited by jbjeeps - 06 Oct. 2018 at 4:31am
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2018 at 10:43pm
wow!  Beautiful!  I need to visit y’all.  Wink
  That is some of my favorite part of this country, the Tetons and Yellowstone.  
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Same here.  I should move.  Maybe.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 1:51pm

wow!  Beautiful!  I need to visit y’all.  Wink

C'mon up Rick!  Guests with old Jeeps always welcome!  Jack

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Same here.  I should move.  Maybe.

I lived over on the West Slope, Grand Junction, before moving here.  Really enjoyed the G.J. area, close to deserts, rivers, mountains, etc.  But I have no regrets moving to Idaho.  This is my forever place. Jack

dandjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2018 at 5:50pm
I had an aunt that lived in Paul. Visited there a couple times. Loved it! Beautiful area!

47 cj2a
Warn O/D
03 Rubicon

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 2:23am
Originally posted by dandjeep dandjeep wrote:

I had an aunt that lived in Paul. Visited there a couple times. Loved it! Beautiful area!

Yes, nice country down there. More open, desert and sage brush, very different from up here where we are.

City of Rocks isn't too far south of Paul. Cool place.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 6:24am
I spent the 2nd half of 1974 in Idaho Falls, Navy nuclear power school prototype training.  I went over to Yellowstone twice while I was there.  The drive from Idaho Falls was fantastic then.  Is it still the same?
Jerseyhawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseyhawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 7:12am
Now I know where the term  "God's country" comes from. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

Glenn
He who toils here, hath made his mark.
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 3:24pm

I spent the 2nd half of 1974 in Idaho Falls, Navy nuclear power school prototype training.  I went over to Yellowstone twice while I was there.  The drive from Idaho Falls was fantastic then.  Is it still the same?

All the drives to YNP are awesome IMO. Three ways to get there from Idaho Falls:

1. Hwy 26 from I.F. to Jackson Hole, past Palisades Reservoir, through Teton NP and into Yellowstone.
2. Hwy 20 from I.F. to West Yellowstone, through Island Park.
3. Hwy 20 from I.F. to Ashton, then take the dirt road called either "Grassy Lake Road", "Reclamation Road" or "Flagg Ranch Road" through the Targhee N.F. from Ashton to Flagg Ranch.  It's called a "4 wheel drive" road, but it's pretty mild, passenger cars do it as long as they're careful.  Follows the southern boundary of YNP. Only open during the summer. This is one of my favorite roads in the whole world. Several nice side roads off it, such as "The Jackass Loop". Shhh! Don't tell anyone I told you about this one. Wink

Edited by jbjeeps - 08 Oct. 2018 at 3:37pm

jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Jerseyhawg Jerseyhawg wrote:

Now I know where the term  "God's country" comes from. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

Glenn

Glenn, as I mentioned before, I grew up in Jersey, lived in several places, graduated h.s. up in Warren County. Development and high priced "gun clubs" locked us out of what little hunting ground we once had up there.

Here in Idaho we are blessed with public land.  Some think too much.  Not me! I can hunt, fish, hike, camp, and Jeep on all kinds of beautiful land without having to pay a ridiculous fee to some private "club". 

"God's Country"?  You bet!  

Edited by jbjeeps - 08 Oct. 2018 at 3:38pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 2:58am
I only took the second route to YNP.  Never had the time off to try any other one. 
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2018 at 8:27pm

I only took the second route to YNP.  Never had the time off to try any other one. 

Through Island Park, "The Longest Main Street in America".

Post Reply Post Reply