Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Camping for Dummies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

. . .  Last year, I lived on pop tarts and engine heated Ravioli. You can even cook ravioli on the fire. .... right Wade

Originally posted by sonoblast77 sonoblast77 wrote:

Yes, apparently you have to crack the lid, other wise your campmates wear your dinner. They should put warnings on those cans. Lol.

OH . . I must have gotten the story wrong, Smile   I thought it was an engine-heated one that went kaboom. 

It is a wonder we are living with some of the crazy things that have exploded in campfires in my family. Ouch   

Edited by JeepFever - 14 June 2018 at 1:31pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 1:40pm
I’ve never had one explode on the engine, but I do have to hold the can away and facing outward before I open it.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by sonoblast77 sonoblast77 wrote:

Yes, apparently you have to crack the lid, other wise your campmates wear your dinner. They should put warnings on those cans. Lol.

When I was a Boy Scout leader once there was an "accident" when one of the patrols tried to heat a glass jar of spaghetti sauce in a fire.  The results would have been predictable to many of us.

One of the geniuses (he was 17 so I thought he should've known better) suggested that maybe I ought to give them a list of things they couldn't put in the fire.  I told them that instead I'd give them a list of things that the COULD put in the fire:
  1. wood

Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2018 at 6:22pm
Last year I took a a small marine cooler and carried cold water and Powerade/Gatorade with me.  It was good to have a little bit of electrolytes in addition to the water.  It was hot!  

Pop tarts and ravioli appealing as they are, I opted for something different for my el Dorado forest foray.  I ate scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast, seafood for lunch,  and cooked somewhat conventional dinners for the evening meals.  Granted breakfast and dinner were dehydrated packaged cuisine mostly, and lunch was sardines and octopus out of tin cans, but I rather enjoy eating.

There is plenty of water along the trail, especially if you have a filter, which I brought and used.  I will be bringing it again this year.

I took my cot and my tent last year and will do the same this year.  One night I slept on the cot under the stars and one night in the tent.  Both were very enjoyable. I packed all my camping and cooking gear in my 85L backpack, except the cot and tent.  Had lots of spare parts and other stuff and still had plenty of room in the jeep.

Don’t forget sunscreen, water shoes, and swim trunks.  

It’s going to be a blast!

Edited by Rick G - 14 June 2018 at 6:26pm
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2018 at 9:39pm
Just one fireside water bottle tale to tell! Once on a hunting trip we had a nice bed of burning coals and the kids wanted to see what happens to a water bottle in the coals, so I drilled a small hole in the cap and had them toss it in. In the past the water boils out and all is consumed shortly. This time it soon began to melt and shrink the bottle to the amount of water in the bottle sputtered and finally reached the super heated temp of 212 and the water bottle shot out like a rocket surprising all of us! Luckily the path was away from all of us and the big boys decided not to flay in the fire any more! So fire safety is a must even when liquid courage is present!

So post plenty of pics and videos for all us armchair jeep nuts stuck at home!

Edited by jeeper50 - 17 June 2018 at 9:42pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 1:20am
As m whole goal with CHUG is to be able to go on adventures I am planning on being away from the Grid for a 5 days at a time (even with a good camp shower the wife said we had to do a hotel or motel or B&B at least once every 5 days)

I am planning two coolers.

The first will be made to be 18" x 18" x 18" with 3" of insulation on all sides with a fit down in lid. This will be the freezer and be cooled with Dry Ice only opened once a day to remove the days meat. Spare ICE will also be kept in this one.

The second one will be the same size and insulation but with a Hinged lid and cooled with ICE this one will be used as a Fridge opened as needed

WE plan on having a tiny Retro style microwave in the little off road trailer as well as a 2 burner propane cook top and then a R-22 Refrigerant can made into a small wood stove that will also heat water. And a tiny BBq

Breakfasts will range from Jimmy Dean Sausage egg cheese muffin sandwiches (microwave) to full on Bacon and Egg fry ups to Pancakes.

Lunches will most likely be sandwiches and more snack type foods

Dinners will be very similar to at home grilled meat to spaghetti meat balls etc. with what ever trimmings fit.

We plan on leisurely enjoying ourselves. Trying not to set up camp a new every day. Choosing more to move to a location stay for a couple three days fishing exploring jeeping etc. and then move on.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
On Jeep About View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote On Jeep About Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 5:23pm
The Army has it figured out. MREs, no meal planning, no cooking, no dishes to clean up, and no cooler required. Some of them actually taste good. And I always felt like a 6 year old in school trading lunch items with my buddies when I ended up with a less favorable MRE.
They even have there own heaters now days so no camp stove required either. Or blowing stuff up on your engine, or camp fire incidents Big smileBig smile
Two a day will keep a man going strong but three will be more comfortable for most of us older guys with tummy to keep up.
On Jeep About 

Edited by On Jeep About - 19 June 2018 at 5:25pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 6:35pm
Lots of good ideas coming in.    Thanks guys!     

Concerning the last suggestion,   I had considered  MREs,   our Scout troop used to get those occasionally,  and they were handy.

I thought they might be too many calories for someone just setting in a seat all day,   UNTIL I thought about it a little more.   We will be climbing up and down trail sections at times,  AND wrestling a manual steering wheel the whole time !!!  Shocked     Probably will be burning a few calories.  LOL
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 4:16am
Not that many.  MRE's are intended for younger men running around burning the crap out of calories.  If you read up on them, they have over a full days worth of calories in just one.   Tried to pull that crap on the wife and got proven wrong REAL quick.  Her degree is Food Science/Nutritian (dietician) so I can't pull any fast ones.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 2:10pm
yep, that’s correct.  The MRE’s are 3500 calories each (or used to be).  This slightly overweight mature man only needs ~1600 calories per day😁.  I used to eat them while hunting, but I’ve found alternatives that better match my needs now.  They are handy because they have lots of “goodies” in them.  Matches, candy, condiments, and most importantly, TP!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 3:13pm
Bring river shoes
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 3:27pm
I like the idea of manifold cooking. Fix and leave it if you want something warm. You could basically pre-cook your meals and wrap them in foil while keeping cool in cooler. Pull out as needed.

A buddy and I did the Rubicon several years ago as a "bucket list" trip. Flew out and rented a TJ for a 3 day-2 night trip. We had a 12V frig cooler in each jeep, sleeping tent, roll and bag. We both packed light for our stay.

Trailguide had a JKU. It had carried extra food, drinks and tools, if needed. Camped near water both nights. Great time was had for all.

1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12