Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep earned its keep today - plowing snow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep earned its keep today - plowing snow
    Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 3:45pm
We got about six inches of heavy snow here in Mt. Airy, Maryland and it was a perfect amount for me to test out my new(old) Meyers plow and T-6 pump setup on the '46.  Overall it worked well but I may need to get some chains for the CJ2A.  I ended up plowing both of our driveways and some of the front private road - approx total 400ft. 

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 4:23pm
dluber - Wow this is awesome.  What are the odds people would still be plowing snow with 73 year old Jeeps.  Post a picture over on doing actual work with your Jeep thread.  I just put one on that thread of my 1946 plowing this morning.

Edited by Stev - 13 Jan. 2019 at 4:25pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 4:56pm
Dave,
That’s pretty awesome.
My experience living in Maryland was if it snowed that much, the whole state would be shut down and all the bread, milk and toilet paper would be sold out at the Giant store.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 5:00pm
Stan,

That is still true!  I had to stop by Tractor Supply yesterday to pickup some grade 8 bolts and I thought I would stop by the local market to pickup a pizza.  Needles to say once I saw the parking lot and panic going on, I decided on another meal at home.

Take care,
Dave
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2019 at 8:27pm
The best looking snow plow around!   Great for occasional use,  and sure beat a shovel.
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 10:57am
Went out for another run down the driveway and private road last night.  All went well.  In addition to some chains, I might add a few lights later on to help with plowing at night.  Now it's time to clean up the garage!

Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 2:12pm
Hi Dave,
Underneath all this "what hard work" noise I hear a bunch of boys as excited as can be out playing in the snow! It makes me smile to see our jeeps being used and well loved.
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 2:34pm
dluber,

Chains are and interesting topic.  I have a full sent of old school chains but have never used them to plow.  There are a bunch of modern type of chains and cables that might be easy on asphalt - I have no experience - perhaps others might share their experience with these modern types.  Their are also modern snuggers to keep the chains from moving around.

I would be interesting to see what people are doing with chains.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 7:20pm
Hey Kate,

I hope you had a great holiday.  Yes, I would say it was fun playing in the snow.  Also, a cool project getting the plow setup.  I was lucky to find one local - within an hour drive - that fit a 2A.  I still had to make a few mods to the plow mount and fabricate a few simple brackets that were missing from the sale.
My daughter Sydney was out riding shotgun last night and also enjoyed the fun.  I think she will be driving/plowing for the next snow fall. 

Take care,
Dave
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 7:26pm
Stev,

RealDeal - on this site - recommended model tc2435 from etrailer.com.  I haven't made a purchase yet, but also looking at QG2129 Light Truck Snow Chain via Amazon.  My tires are 225/70/R16.  I also have a set of used 7.00X16 NDTs that I might mount someday. 

Dave 
Don Parrish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Parrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 11:26pm
On a much different note. You have a fine looking property there. Bad snow makes for a great appearance.

Don Parrish   Phoenix...what the heck is snow?
Don Parrish

'46 CJ2A 15720
'52 CJ3A 452GB124659
'49 T3C T3C312
'53 600 Ford Golden Jubilee Tractor
'67 Corvette
'09 Jeep Fourdoorsy
 Post Reply Post Reply