Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Hauler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Hauler
    Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 5:17am
I dont know about you but moving my jeep distances beyond the limit of how far I want to drive my jeep is always a challenge. There are lots of events and trail rides that I miss due to geographical limitations. Time for that to change! I having been working on a setup to be able to haul my jeep. I was using my wifes 4runner and flat towing the jeep. It worked but I wanted a trailer and a heavier vehicle. A few weeks ago I found a nice little 6x12 tandem for a great price. The owner had replaced the decking with hardwood.  #5000 gvwr. I went over it today.... greased and adjusted the bearings. checked the tires and lights. It should be good to go. 

Then I needed a vehicle to pull it. The 4runner can do the job but it really has to work for it, and that also leaves my wife without her vehicle... like most of us, money is tight.. So i needed to find something affordable. I refuse to have a car payment so it had to be cheap! haha! I ended up finding an old 7.3 f250 for really good price. It has some rust and dents but will do the job.... Its lower mileage and in stock form so I went for it.... Im not really a ford guy but the price was right! Here is the whole kit together! 

Heres me fooling around loading the jeep for a shakedown run. I have ramps but wanted to play around.....now that i have the "low" crawl gear i might as well use it!

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 5:36am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

I ended up finding an old 7.3 f250 for really good price.

You made it sound like that pickup would be OLD.  It doesn't look old to me.  But then, I remembered that I have owned my '89 YJ for 30 years now and I don't think of that as old...  Wacko
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 5:41am
I also have a 12' trailer like that - and absolutely love it!  I've been using my '95 Cherokee to tow since about '96.  If I were to upgrade, I think adding brakes on one of the axles would help.  I've worn through many disk pads/rotors over the years.  The Cherokee has over 450K so its done as far as long towing now.  I've actually been looking at the 4runner as it's very similar.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 5:51am
A good shake down run, like a trip to Moab???
Jay
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 10:46am
I had a similar Ford - Super Duty with a V10 and a 5 speed. I always liked that truck. At the my friend had a 7.3 just like yours that he towed with. It's a great motor.....and I'm not even a Ford guy. But have to give credit where credit is due. 

Congratulations! Nice set up! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 11:47am
Is that a Sears locking hub on the spare tire?

Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 3:17pm
That's a nice set up. Congrats Clap
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 4:25pm
Very cool Clap
Now for some Jeep runs!!
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 4:26pm
Nice rig. I'm looking to replace my 2007 F150 with something newer and with a better motor for towing.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2019 at 5:46pm
    Seth, great Score !

Well, in the 38-years I have owned my '77 CJ-7 Renegade I have never trailered it. Does that qualify it for not being a "trailer-queen" !   hahahaha

I mentioned "trailer-queen" because that is what we call the restored collector cars that are never driven on the road to car shows.
   Off road vehicles which are trailered is a good approach, because we never know what may break. Then we will have the trailer to drag it home.

We used to tow the CJ to the Rubicon behind our Ford Van, then sometimes the old Winnebago motorhome. There were several times where I would make a bad turn and wind up trying to back-up, and sometimes just forced a jack-knife literally skidding the front tires of the jeep to get things turned around without the agony of un-coupling.   And too, of course there is no pre-planning for this because taking a bad-turn happens in the blink-of-an-eye.
   I have never owned a flat-bed large enough to haul a full-sized pickup or automobile, so my jeep was always flat-towed. (I disconnected the rear driveline for towing)

Before closing, we owned a '95 GMC Suburban 2500 4x with the 6.5 TD engine for 15-years and sold it at 296k on the clock due to freeze plugs failing, and I wasn't about to pull the engine. We sold it and upgraded to a 2007 Chev Subruban 2500 4x with the 6.0L gas v-8, two years ago. I absolutely LOVE the "Trailer-Tow-Mode" button !    It alters the shift points to "race-mode".   hahahah
   Not really, but makes it lots more fun to drive. ( and the factory locking diff in the rear actually works with the 3:73 gears ).
   The 3/4-ton model Suburbans are no longer offered. :(

Supposedly the earlier 7.3's were the better of the lot.

You are Set and ready.

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 2:29am
Seth I’ve been driving a 2001 7.3 6 speed manual for a few years now. I tow a 34’ 5th wheel with it. Currently at about 280,000 miles. Better watch your mirrors you could lose that trailer with the Jeep on it and maybe never know it. 
It’s been the most trouble free truck I’ve ever had. Biggest problem has been the ball joints and spindles in the front end
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2019 at 2:07pm
Nice looking combination. I’ve got a 7’ x 12’ as well. I bought a shelter logic fabric garage that fits the top rails nicely. When we arrive at our destination I put the fabric on the frame and then have a nice cosy camper.
RWILLYS (Space R)
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 1:27am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Seth I’ve been driving a 2001 7.3 6 speed manual for a few years now. I tow a 34’ 5th wheel with it. Currently at about 280,000 miles. Better watch your mirrors you could lose that trailer with the Jeep on it and maybe never know it. 
It’s been the most trouble free truck I’ve ever had. Biggest problem has been the ball joints and spindles in the front end

I have an '01 F350 Lariat 7.3L with automatic. I bought it in '09 I think. I've put maybe 150K miles on it, but it had only 65K when I bought it. I tow my boat with tandem trailer and my 24' Airstream with it. I can't you how happy I am with this truck. Super reliable with good power.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 1:29am
Originally posted by mullen46cj2a mullen46cj2a wrote:

Is that a Sears locking hub on the spare tire?

Yes sir it is... I have a build thread on here somewhere for my spare tire carrier. O used a dana 25 spindle and hub. it saved me some work and now I always have a spare hub with me. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 1:39am
Thanks guys! Its good to hear about your positive experiences with similar trucks and trailers... ive put about 200 miles on it so far and really enjoyed it. I bought it knowing it would need a new ring and pinion gear. Apparently it leaked oil and the owner messed up the sleeve crush when they replaced the seal and yoke.... the gears are very noisy and have some crazy wear on them. Tonight I picked up a super clean 3.73 limited slip rear with new brakes for only 200 bucks! I hope to have it installed this weekend then I will be good to go for this summers jeep and firewood season. 

I got the old girl all cleaned up... 

cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 6:17pm
Looks good.  Can't wait to see you whipping down the freeway at say 70 or 75 with that jeep windshield up and rag top on. (lol)  Pretty sure NOTHING on our CJ2's are capable of withstanding 75mph.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 6:26pm
Haha yeah the windshield will be down when I’m actually taking it somewhere. I flat towed it all the way to Gettysburg last fall with the top on....60mph the whole way there. I wasn’t too worried because I drive the Jeep at 60mph all the time. 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2019 at 11:47pm
Seth - you should have bought this one. Then we could all ride togetherLOL
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>