Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep just died fuel issue?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep just died fuel issue?
    Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 3:23am
Hello All,  I was driving my jeep today and it just quit.  I had the carb rebuilt last week, so im good on that.  It started up just fine, and I drove about 5 miles and it quit.  Someone along the line also added an electric fuel pump, and there's also a fuel regulator.  Looks to be set about 4 I think.  After about 30 minutes waiting it started up again.   Turned off, and few minutes later it fired right back up.   

Two hours later I checked both fuel caps to see if they had air, and didnt notice any.  It started right up with no electric pump.  It ran about two minutes, then died again!!!  Any Ideas?

ChrisUnhappy
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 5:17am
While you are checking things, check electrical connections.  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 5:02pm
Check for spark. Could be a coil or condenser that fail as they warm up.
alaskanrocket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaskanrocket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 5:21pm
Its sounds like an electrical issue to me, condenser, rotor, cap, loose ground. I wouldn't totally rule out fuel supply but generally fuel issues don't go away completely within a few minutes then show back.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 5:50pm
  The old fuel pumps that we called "thumpers" had the same check valves in them that the mechanical pump has, so if the electric was turned off, the mech. could draw fuel thru it. And then, of course, when the elect. was on, it would shove fuel thru the mech. Newer pumps use a rotary-vane pump and no check valves that I know of. The mech. pump cannot draw fuel thru the rotary-vane pump, as it would have to spin the rotor and motor to do that. Tiny had a problem with that, that's how we found out.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 9:06pm
thanks for the replys... this is my first jeep so I'm learning as I go.  It does run kinda sluggish, like missing.   It has the delco cap, with the window.  I checked it over the weekend, and I did notice the button, the contact on the upper inside was stuck..  could this be the issue?  The contacts on the cap and rotor look ok, not wore out.  Also, I noticed the vacuum advance is disconnected. 

Could be two issues because it looks like the fuel pump isn't filling up the clear filter.  Is there a fuel filter as well inside the 2g carburetor?  I had it rebuilt,  but I didn't check if the guy replaced old one.

Thanks,, Chris 

Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 9:44pm
Mine died going down the road to a show...coil wire was loose..
isolate either a fuel or electrical issue
pump the carb and see if you have fuel in the throat...if no fuel see if fuel pump is pumping the fuel to carb, disconnect the fuel line at the carb and crank it over a bit...put a bottle or hose in a can to collect any pumped fuel
if no fuel then a pump or clogged flter before the pump...if you have fuel supply to carb...check for spark  pull a plug wire from the plug side and check for spark by arcing it across a ground while cranking...if no spark...start checking power to coil and distro
sounds like an electrical issue though

good luck Chris
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 11:05pm
  " It has the delco cap, with the window.  I checked it over the weekend, and I did notice the button, the contact on the upper inside was stuck..  could this be the issue? "

Ah, so we're talking about a Buick or Dauntless V6, or a GM V8, not an L134.

The center contact in the Delco distributor cap is not spring-loaded and moveable. The center contact on the rotor is a spring, and holds itself up against the cap contact.
  There should be a small fuel filter behind the inlet nut on the 2G carb. I don't remember when the change was made from the sintered bronze filter to the paper model, but neither one will work very well installed backwards. Likely as not, the rebuilder left the filter out, anyway. But it won't hurt to check.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2018 at 11:22pm
Bruce beat me to it again!

Have you tried driving it until it fails & then take the gas cap off. if you hear a sucking noise as you remove the gas cap, you have found your problem. Your gas cap is not venting. It will happen sooner with a full tank.

BTW, IMHO, The Dauntless Buick V-6 is one of the best options if one does not stay stock. It has good torque & it revs pretty well. 
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 2:26am
thanks for your replies.. talked to a friend who's a mechanic where I work, and he gave same advice.   Gonna check for fuel at carb, then check manual fuel pump,  then electric fuel pump.   

I did fill the fuel tank and have a leaking sending unit gaskets.   Maybe this is one of the issues...  have the gaskets on order. 

On the ignition:  so you crank and pull one boot off?  Doesn't shock the crap out of me? Lol.

Chris
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 2:42am
If it doesn't shock you, you've found the problem.
If it does, you've found a whole other problem. Wink
1946 CJ2A 14098
Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 2:22pm
LMAO...I did this with my son once...only once...but hold the wire with insulated pliers...or have a "friend" just hold the wire..

Yes pull the wire and have someone turn the engine with starter ...hopefully you have a spark, should be brite blueish

Edited by Hey2a - 18 Oct. 2018 at 2:24pm
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 4:28pm
Update:  Looks like number one spark plug is gas fouled.  Changed plugs, ballast resistor, coil, plug wires, cap, and rotor will be replaced today.  Along with points and condenser .

What would cause this ?  Bad plug wire? Contact on cap?  Only number one cylinder plug is fouled.  

Chris
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2018 at 6:03pm
This may sound totally stupid but I found it out by accident. I was driving my old Volvo and I lost a cylinder. It was at idle. I was out pulling spark plug wires to determine which was bad. As I pulled a wire the thing went back to a normal idle. There was something about an arc jump that keeps things from fouling. They used to sell them.
uncamonkey
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2018 at 4:25am
Got it running today! :D   Man, what a hassle getting parts.  Finally got the correct distributor cap, mine's a 67-68 i guess.  The points window is centered between the posts.  Bad news is timing and dwell are off, and I can't get to the points window.  It has power steering and the window is not accessible. HA!

My old dwell meter doesn't work anymore.  I hooked it up, and it was totally erratic, so, try to get one tomorrow.

I was still having a fuel issue.  My jeep has two tanks, along with two fuel pumps.  One engine mounted, and one electric.  Couldn't get either working, got it to fire with starting fluid.  Held thumb over end of fuel line for a couple of minutes, and FUEL ..... She fired right up.   Seems like lots of people have fuel pump issues iv'e been seeing.

Thanks for you help everyone,

ChrisSmile
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 7:09pm
   Chris,
   I live up near Redding, and I see some nice stuff come up for sale in your area on Craigslist, in the SF bay listings.   Wish I had more $$$ and time.

If you cannot access the window, forget Dwell, and set the point gap to your liking, and adjust the distributor to where you are pulling good vacuum, it will get you close.

I had thoughts running through my mind that you were running out of gas.
( running until the fuel system couldn't keep up with demand, and the engine would quit ). I.E. empty fuel-bowl

Take lots of breaks, and good Luck !

Len
 Post Reply Post Reply