Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep wave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gyrene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep wave
    Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 9:55pm
I just learned tonight, my 3 adult daughters ( one has a Jeep) that "Jeep People" have a "wave" News to me. I just wave to all. But I guess, you have 2 hands on the steeping wheel ( 11 and 1) and put up the peace symbol ( index finger and social finger) . Any thoughts?
Tom
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 11:15pm
You can google it and there's like a lot of links describing it with all the "rules" about who initiates, etc.

This new thing, "Duck Duck Jeep," is one I'd not heard of until jpet posted he got ducked.  I had to google that to read where it got started.

Edited by Rus Curtis - 19 Sep. 2021 at 11:16pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
General Eisenhower View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2021 at 11:28pm
Apparently one of the jeep wave rules is that the younger jeep suppose to wave first, so we would have no obligation to wave to any 'cept a MB/GPW first.  

Although I wonder if I'd pass, it's got a good chunk of GPW and MB parts...
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2016 Jeep JKU 75th anniversary edition
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 12:11pm
I think one should salute when passing a MB/GPW.

I live way out in the country and it has always been part of rural etiquette to give a two finger wave and a nod of the head when passing someone on the little country back roads. Sounds like Jeep owners are getting some manners.

I saw a bunch of rubber ducks on, and in Jeeps at the Fulton Reunion and also wondered about how that got started.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 12:23pm
Apparently the jeep wave originated after the war when GIs would drive around past each other and extend the two fingers symbolic of the V for Victory as a greeting and it's been pasted down to the day. Again there is a hierarchy, the younger the jeep, they have to wave first, newer wranglers have to wave to the cj5 first, cut has to wave to the cj2a first... the true origin is as mysterious as the name jeep itself

The duck seems to be a newer internet trend, they put the little rubber duck on your jeep and usually has a tag on it so you can connect with other fellow jeepers online, I've been ducked myself but I dont do social media
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 6:01pm
There are so many young drivers around here driving JKs and 4 door pickups they don't even acknowledge a flattie in this area.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 6:12pm
Only wave if waved at.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 6:58pm
Sometimes I wonder if people who wave from inside all that dark tinted glass ever wonder why nobody waves back at them.
1951 M38
1951 M100
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 7:03pm
I did not know about the rules… Interesting. I only wave to old cars when driving my Jeep, unless someone waves first, then I wave. If I pass someone walking on side of the road, I wave regardless of what I’m driving… Same for motorcycle even if it’s a scooter LOL

Edited by ggordon49 - 20 Sep. 2021 at 7:05pm
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if people who wave from inside all that dark tinted glass ever wonder why nobody waves back at them.

You got that right....."did you see me the other day?"....."hell no"

I don't bother anymore in the jeep unless waved to first....we get more waves from people in their yards than from passing jeeps...grandson loves it, "people are so friendly when we are in this."

He waves at everybody in their yards....like he is in a parade.Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by flatfender47 flatfender47 wrote:

Only wave if waved at.

When I had a Jeep (1975 CJ5) I heard the rule about the newer Jeep needs to wave first.  For quite a while I ignored that an waved at all Jeeps.  But what I started realizing is that most of the people in newer Jeeps (XJs and TJs at that time) didn't return my waves.  So eventually I pretty much gave up on newer Jeeps unless they waved first.  So not a rule really, but it worked out that way.

I always waved at YJs and older because they usually waved back.

Now that I'm in a Bronco I wave at any old iron, even a restored Chevy Chevette!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 8:38pm
I know I'm not the oldest guy here at 62. I bought my first 2A in 1979 and had it on the road in '80. I learned back then about the Jeep Wave from another owner and I never forgot it, hell my wife even knows. She commented last year how the "Angry Jeep crowd, (she says they look like the Angry Bird character with the grill treatments) didn't seem to get it, because they never waved at all. 

I'll still wave if waved at, but usually it's from another older guy or a veteran.
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

Vintage Don View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2021 at 9:02pm
I learned last weekend (on the 12th, that is) that apparently my '48 pick-up qualifies to get 'Waved' too. That was it's very first official outing, going to Bob Christy's flatfender event. Most of the modern Wranglers waved - some with great enthusiasm. Guess they recognize that Face coming at 'em..

And - I even got Ducked! That was fun 

The Bride's daily driver is a '19 Wrangler in that radioactive green (Mojito) - and she gets ducked regularly. All good fun, and helps build and maintain brand awareness and loyalty.

John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 6:27am
Since I don't have turn signals I use the old stand-by, arm signals.  Seems lots of people didn't learn that in drivers ed and think I'm waving at them.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 10:37am
I wave at everyone. Even those new fangled Gladiators. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Eisenhower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 10:38am
Originally posted by John Cotner John Cotner wrote:

Since I don't have turn signals I use the old stand-by, arm signals.  Seems lots of people didn't learn that in drivers ed and think I'm waving at them.

I would say no one is taught that in drivers ed, I only learned it for driving tractors on back roads
I Like Ike!
1948 CJ2a "Hefty Horse"
John Cotner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Cotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 12:09pm
I took drivers ed in western North Dakota, so I figured everyone had to learn them.  Guess its a farm country thing.
Thanks,
John Cotner
New Ulm, Minnesota
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2021 at 1:42pm
Alabama mid 70's it was taught in drivers ed.....now, not so much.

People here now look like you are crazy when you do a right turn signal.

A neighbor just went for his driver test/license the other day. I said "got your parallel parking practice in?" He said he's been taking drivers ed this year wasn't really worried......and that they didn't even test for parallel parking anymore!

Just buy a car/truck that already does it I guess.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>