Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

jeep weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR OnlyOneDR wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Um. an Expedition Max is a Full Size SUV, (40K?) not a minivan

Pretty sure the way he wrote it was a joke.  He used to tow with a Flex.

Never actually needed to tow the jeep with the Flex but I was ready to. I did pull the 4000lb single axle camper several times before we got the Expedition. always managed to drive the Jeep or borrow a fullsize truck with better brakes and flat tow before renting a tow dolly

Most anything rear wheel drive that is pre-wired for trailer brakes will work.
I wouldn't use a front wheel drive like the flex because it is a religious experience when you try to pass a big green tractor going up a hill with 4000lbs behind you.

WillysWally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillysWally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2021 at 10:24pm
Good Afternoon Stevez:

Everyone appears to be in the same ball park as far as weights of flat fenders as well as various trailer options.  I always figured the weight of the jeep for planning purposes, to be around 2,500 lbs, unless I specifically know otherwise.  I have both a 12 foot, open, single axle trailer that handles a 2A with no issues, as well as a 10,000 lb tandom that I haul the Dodge WC's on. 

While my main tow vehicle is a bit on the heavy duty side, I have also towed both trailers with my 1/2 ton Silverado.  The Silverado handles the the single axle with the 2A  like a breeze.  But that combo is way below the pickup's rated towing capacity.  On the other hand, the actual weight of the WC and the tandom trailer is right at the maximum weight for the Silverado's rated capacity.

My suggestion would be to buy a tow vehicle that has a rated towing capacity well in excess of the loads you will be typically be towing.  Not only does this add an additional level of safety, it is less taxing and tiring on both the tow vehicle and the driver.  But that is just me.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Walter
stevez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2021 at 4:53am
great info, thanks for all the replies
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2021 at 12:22pm
Just going to pile on with my biggest complaint(s) with my current setup Ermm

I took the 2A for around 2200#, and my 12' dual axel trailer is just shy of 1800# with the gates on.  My gen2 Tacoma is rated (from memory) for 6300+/-

The V6 Taco is capable, but 5th gear in the auto trans is an overdrive.  If you tow in "D" the tranny spends too much time searching between 4th and 5th and theyre prone to imploding.  Towing "mode" is shifted to "4", so on the highway the revs are up and gas mileage suffers... a lot LOL.  My normal 18-20 drops to 12mpg... ya I know, I'm towing... go over 65mph and it drops to 8mpg... run 75mph with the traffic and watch the gas needle moving.  Just takes a little planning, and a solid gas card.

Biggest complaint about the trailer is it's too short.  The 2A fits great but strapping is interesting, and I load it backwards because the weight sits better.  There just isn't any "pull it forward just a little", just backwards or forwards, and forwards it's like parking the L134 on the ball and it's more than noticeable in the truck steering.

The truck and the trailer were each purchased at different times with differing needs at the time, and together they get me by, but when it's time to upgrade.... 

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2021 at 2:34pm
I'll "weigh in" (groan) with my thoughts on the setups I've used too.  Not contrary to what mbullism said, but maybe tempering it?

My vacation load used to be a lightweight slide-in camper (~1200 lbs) and flat-towing my Bronco (~4000 lbs).  The trucks I used were a '95 F-150 (5.8L gas), '08 F-250 (5.4L gas), '02 F-350 (7.3L diesel), '97 F-350 (7.5L gas).

The best vehicle for that was, hands down, the diesel F-350.  It handled the weight great, could easily keep up with traffic anywhere (even up winding mountain highways) and got almost the same mileage loaded as it did when empty.  If all I did was haul heavy loads that would be the best choice.  The problem was that the mileage empty wasn't much better than the mileage loaded.  ~13 mpg average on diesel fuel made it the most expensive truck I've had when it comes to fuel, even worse than my current '97 big block gasser.  And daily driving a diesel in Minnesota winters wasn't great either.

Objectively the best all-around choice for me was the '08 F-250 with the 5.4L.  It was the cheapest on fuel empty at ~15 mpg, and loaded at ~10 mpg.  If I kept the engine above 3500 rpm it was acceptable power, and above 4500 rpm was really good power.  But that was the subjective problem.  I hated driving a truck at 5000 rpm, so it was actually by far my least favorite.

The 5.8L F-150 actually was pretty good.  ~14 mpg empty (it had a lift and 33" tires) that dropped to ~8 mpg loaded.  But the camper (with gear and people added) did put it over its GVWR.  It handled the weight OK (with the addition of air bag helper springs), but wasn't legal.  And power was fine as well.  I couldn't keep up with sports cars in the mountains like I could with the diesel, but it wasn't bad.

My current F-250 7.5L (big block 460) is my overall favorite, but I do have to pay for it.  10 mpg empty, 8 mpg loaded is the down side.  But easily handles the weight, plenty of power and (unlike the 5.4L) really nice to drive.

So what's the take-home?
  1. If you want a great tow vehicle it won't be a great daily driver.
  2. Diesels make great tow vehicles, but see #1 above
  3. Getting a big enough truck is almost essential.  Getting an even bigger truck is better, but gets into #1 above.
  4. Newer trucks will give you a much better power / fuel economy balance than older trucks ("they don't make 'em like they used to" is mostly a good thing)
  5. And for me the over-riding thing...  if I don't like driving the truck none of the above matters.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2021 at 4:07am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Biggest complaint about the trailer is it's too short.  The 2A fits great but strapping is interesting, and I load it backwards because the weight sits better.  There just isn't any "pull it forward just a little", just backwards or forwards, and forwards it's like parking the L134 on the ball and it's more than noticeable in the truck steering.

Sounds like you need a weight distribution hitch to get that tongue weight shifted so it will not make the steering sketchy.  I bet if you check your owner's manual for the Tacoma it probably requires it over a certain trailer weight.  I would never want the heavy end hanging out in the back so the tail doesn't was the dog.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2022 at 12:21pm
certified calibrated scale:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12