Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JeepFever possible events (MD/VA)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JeepFever possible events (MD/VA)
    Posted: 22 July 2020 at 4:16am
edit: Sept 18  . .  this thread is about 2 possible events
        MD  -  if it happens,   it will be next year (2021)
        VA  -  will be this year (tomorrow) but scaled back,  only the trails and shooting, 
                      no camping or river activities
                 interestingly my son is closing on the property today, 
                      so that makes next year possible for full event 

I am probably WAY too premature to be talking about these possibilities,  but a little excited that we could make it happen in the upcoming year.

1) We have some property in western MD that has been in family since early 1800's.  We have owned our little piece for almost 40 years.  It borders a huge property that has changed over the years from a strip coal mine,  to a private hunt club 20 years ago, and then some "public" ATV activity in past 10 years.  The state of MD bought it all out to turn into a state park last year.   We were happy to think it might be a "hiking" park. (no ATV noise off in distance)
A few weeks ago I was up there and talked to some "park rangers".    The plan for the state is to turn it into a full-blown off-road park!   The bad news,  our 100+ year old log cabin might not be quiet as we would like  . .   the good news is that we would have direct access to the park.    Before the hunt club,  we were able to Jeep all this property,  even down to Potomac river (a couple miles away) for a swim.  Lots of scenic and challenging trails.   We lost that access about 20 years ago, when the hunt club and later ATV club would not allow "full-size" vehicles on the trails (even if we paid their fee).    The state park will allow all vehicles.  (some trails restricted by width,  but flatties will qualify for all :-) )
This is turning into a novel,  but basically a year from now,  I might be able to host an event that includes some decent trails,  a river at the far end of these trails,  and camping in a pretty cool spot.  Our cabin is small,  but has electric,  and shower etc..  My brother's adjoining property has a pond with fishing for kids (and some huge catfish we catch occasionally, haha)

Edited by JeepFever - 18 Sep. 2020 at 2:12pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 4:16am
2)  Central Virginia,   where we live,  somewhat between Charlottesville and Culpeper

My son just had his offer approved for some land.   It is has frontage on a nice sized "canoeing" river.  If all the "dance" goes well,  appraisal, loan,  etc.  . .and he does purchase it . .  I think it would be fun to invite the forum for an event here.   It would be a little different,  but cool I think.    
The off-roading part of the event would be several miles away, on a friend's "mountain" property,  with some decent challenging trails,  maybe even up to Qwaaazy8 stuff,  if we blaze some new trails (which he is open to).   The other interesting thing about my friend.  He is really into shooting sports,  and has an amazing shooting range on his property.  Bring your own,  or shoot some of his/mine.  I think that would be fun.
Our base camp would be on the property my son is hoping to buy.  It has a cool river on its border.   Most of the property is wooded/sloped, but there is a good flat mowed field (camping spot) down next to river.     My son and friends are big into canoeing.   I even thought we could talk them into dropping off some canoes/kayaks (and us) a few miles upstream from his property, and we could float down to our camping spot.

Camping would be to the right of this photo.  For reference, this is 1/2 the river.  To the left is an island.  the other half of river is on far side of it.

Just dreaming right now . . .  but hopefully a year from now we can make this happen,  if anyone is interested in one or both of these "events".  

edit: actually, as I think about it more,  the MD event will be no sooner than next year for sure (they don't have the trail system open on the side of park where our cabin is),  but if my son gets this land in next month or so,  we could possibly do the VA event this year.

Edited by JeepFever - 22 July 2020 at 5:24am
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 4:39am
Ron, this sounds really exciting.  I'm in!  Maybe help cutting in new trails too.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
WKWillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKWillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 8:21am
I'm in too. Ditto on trail help.
John
'48 CJ2a "Snakeskin"
'50 M38 "Thunder from Heaven"
'52 M38a1 "Patina"
'47 T3c
'48 T3c
'52 M100
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 11:22am
Hey Ron - both sound great. I'm into antique rifles too. So it would be a blast to combine jeeping and shooting Big smile

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 2:23pm
Heck yes! Western MD sounds intriguing.....
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 6:11pm
Sure now that you live that way. What about us northern boys of which you once wuz, cuz.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 6:11pm
Heck, I got guns. Wink
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
BGarth13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGarth13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 1:35am
Sounds great!  If only my Jeep was running...sigh...
One step closer this week, just closed on a house that will soon have a garage for housing said Jeep.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 4:15am
Hopefully I have not confused things by proposing two separate locations. Smile

The VA one:

This one might be possible this fall.   My weekends are booked until after Labor Day,  but maybe we can work something out after that.

Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

Ron, this sounds really exciting.  I'm in!  Maybe help cutting in new trails too.

To be clear,  cutting trails would be in VA  Smile  (although,  I wonder if MD would want some help in their new state park?)     On my friend's land this might be mostly clearing fallen trees etc from existing trails.  . .   although  . .   several years ago when I was helping my friend "pre-survey" this land, that he was thinking of purchasing (he was offered to carve out a portion of a much larger plot).   While walking the property,  trying to find the borders with GPS,  we came across a "wet-weather"stream (steep uphill) that I thought would be SO cool to try to crawl in dry weather. Thumbs Up

Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Hey Ron - both sound great. I'm into antique rifles too. So it would be a blast to combine jeeping and shooting Big smile

I agree,  a great fit,  hopefully we can work something out!

Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

Heck, I got guns. Wink 

The nice gun range is in VA,   but the MD location is remote enough for some shooting also. Smile
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 4:36am
The MD location,  which probably won't happen until next year:

Originally posted by WKWillys WKWillys wrote:

I'm in too. Ditto on trail help.
John

From your location,  I am guessing that are referring to MD?   I wonder if state of MD might be interesting in help in the state park?  If you meant VA,  then we would love to have you join in.

Originally posted by nofender nofender wrote:

Heck yes! Western MD sounds intriguing.....

Hope to see you there.   It will be interesting to see how this park works out.   Back when we could wheel this property,  there was nothing that would be challenging to your big Jeep,  but there were some trails that use to scare me,  (until I ran them a few times). 
One was a loose shale hill.  It had a deep ditch at bottom,  so no way to hit it at any speed. . .  ie. crawl thru the ditch, then hit the throttle, and hope your front tires cleared the top before you spun to to stop.  Smile
The other was a loose rock/dirt hill,  steep,  over 100 yds long,  it was a little twisty,  and the entire climb seemed to be right at limits of traction.
The ones I like best though were the "rock gardens" down next to Potomac River.
Intriguing for sure,  can't wait to see what will be available.

Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

. . .  What about us northern boys of which you once wuz, cuz.

Any forum member is welcome!  Smile      
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 9:47am
Ron - is it OK to share this with my Fredericksburg Flat Fender Facebook group? 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 11:41am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Ron - is it OK to share this with my Fredericksburg Flat Fender Facebook group? 

Yes,   that would be fine!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 12:08pm
Ok, will do. Thanks!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 4:40am
Update . .  the "mini event",   this year in VA,  now has a fairly firm date . .  Saturday,  Sept 19th

My friend gave a "thumbs up" to allowing a group of flat-fenders to come run his trails, and shoot guns on his range.  

Details to follow,  but mark your calendar if interested
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 11:28am
Sounds good - added to my calendar!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 12:22pm
I will be on my way to Colorado.
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2020 at 1:44pm
I’m late to the party but this all sounds really fun! I’m definitely interested! Keep me posted! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>