Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeepin' and Shootin' in VA Sept 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeepin' and Shootin' in VA Sept 19
    Posted: 04 Sep. 2020 at 4:55am
A friend has some land with some hilly trails for Jeepin',  and a range for Shootin'

If anyone is interested in spending a day doing both,  mark your calendars for Sept 19.

Plans are to meet up near Sheetz off Rt29 in Madison County VA at 9:00am.   If trailering, then unload there.  Shortly after arriving,  we will drive flatfenders on scenic backroads to a trailhead.  This trail leads across a mountain to my friend's property.   He describes it as narrow,  and might need some trimming.  Wink

Once on his property,  there is a selection of trails to try out.   He uses these trails for mostly hunting purposes.   He said we are welcome to explore and clear any fallen trees etc.   We would be helping him out.

At some point during the day,  we would switch from Jeepin' to shootin'.    He has a range in one of the fields with targets (gongs) placed at many different distances, up to 800 yards,  and a building with benches,  (if you want to use a "rest").   If you want to sight-in one of your guns,  there are holders for paper targets also.

If anyone is interested,  there is a local brewery near there, with food truck,  if we wanted to get something to eat following the activities,   sit outside,  with a view of the hills we just spent the day on.  Smile

Edited by JeepFever - 15 Sep. 2020 at 3:27pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2020 at 5:15am
I went out there today to scout out the trails with the owner.   I was expecting the trails to be almost un-passable with all the rain we have had,  but was surprised they are not too greasy.

This is photo I snapped on the way in  (from road,  not the trail we might be coming in on).   That is the hill that some of the trails are on.   One goes all the way to top.

This is view of targets on shooting range.   The ones on right are for pistol only.   
On left are rifle.  Closest rifle gong,  and target holder is 50 yard,  the double target that is easily visible at far end is approx 265 yard,   a tiny one barely visible above that, is 500 yards.   There are some others not visible in photo even further out.

It is overgrown in the photo, because of wet weather,  but the owner has plans in upcoming weekend to get some mowing done,  since it will be drier.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 5:31am
I just got back from long weekend "off the grid" . .   I see nobody has posted interest in this event.   Maybe I published it too late,  and everyone is booked for Sept 19?
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 2:11pm
I'm in!  I didn't realize you posted it earlier.  Can you also post this on the Fredericksburg Flat Fender FB page?

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 2:28pm
I would love to join, but I don't have a running jeep yet, ha.  

I think there will be a lot of interest if folks can plan ahead for an event like this.  Hope you have a nice time!
Instagram #flatfenderpope

My Build
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2020 at 1:52am
I still have some interest, I mistakenly thought initially this was the western Maryland location.  Virginia is little further and a little tougher to arrange.  Have to see really soon!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2020 at 2:25am
I'm ready Big smile

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2020 at 4:05am
Originally posted by Pope891 Pope891 wrote:

I would love to join, but I don't have a running jeep yet, ha.  

I think there will be a lot of interest if folks can plan ahead for an event like this.  Hope you have a nice time!

I would like to make this an annual event. . .  Hopefully next year the date can be firmed up way ahead of time.    I am thinking it would be about this same time of year.   I am also hoping in future to make it a 2-day event, camping on my son's property (which is now probably a 90% chance he will own soon).

I am going off on tangent now,  but an interesting fact my son just discovered -> there was some significant Civil War activity on the land he is buying. 

Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

I still have some interest, I mistakenly thought initially this was the western Maryland location.  Virginia is little further and a little tougher to arrange.  Have to see really soon!

I confused everyone in the other thread by talking about 2 different possibilities.   I am somewhat excited about both.  I was at our cabin in Western MD over the weekend.  Depending on what develops with the state park,  it could be a lot of fun.  My brother and I have a decent camping spot,   and there is potentially some really nice wheeling in this new park.  Our land literally borders it. 

Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I'm ready

I was just thinking,  it will be easy to carry pistols,  but how am I going to carry rifle,  if I decide to bring it.  (the case I have is too long to easily fit in a '2A)

Maybe I need to make some brackets like those.

Edited by JeepFever - 09 Sep. 2020 at 4:08am
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2020 at 10:13am
I don't normally have much use for the rifle rack, except occasionally carrying a fire ax. In fact, this will be the first time using it for its intended purpose Smile 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2020 at 6:59pm
Ron - Do we have permission from the school or county to leave truck/trailers at the Madison high school?  Is it a safe place to leave them?  I may need to leave a little early. I need to be at Ellwood Manor in Orange county at 5:00 for a national park event I'm participating in.  So I may need to leave a little early.  It all depends on how the day goes.
Steve  
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 4:34am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Ron - Do we have permission from the school or county to leave truck/trailers at the Madison high school?  Is it a safe place to leave them?  I may need to leave a little early. I need to be at Ellwood Manor in Orange county at 5:00 for a national park event I'm participating in.  So I may need to leave a little early.  It all depends on how the day goes.
Steve  

I know someone on school board,   this reminded me to contact him about it.   We used to park vehicles there for a night or two,  on weekends,  many times,  when my sons were in Scouts, but that was 20 years ago.    These days might be more strict.    I sent him a note around 5:00pm today,  he replied back "how many trailers?",  I told him probably 5 or less,   but have not heard from him since.      It should be as safe as any public place can be.     

How much road driving would you want to do on the way to trails?   I am sure we could park where I work,  near town of Orange,  but that would add 25 minutes on the road to the trail.   Might be cool though,  we could loop thru Montpelier (James Madison's home) on the way.

I was wondering myself how long this day will be.   It could probably be done in a few hours,  or stretched out.   Is 9:00am a good departure time?   I am very flexible,  since I am close.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 12:30pm
My preference would be to park trailers as close to the trail head as possible. Since I may have to leave a little early, I'd rather not burn extra time on the road back the the trailer parking site. I spent almost 10 years volunteering at Montpelier, I've seen it enough ;-)  But I'll do whatever the group wants to do.  

0900 is fine.  Its about an hour drive for me. 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 1:49pm
I got a reply back from friend on school board early this morning,  he shared that he contacted person responsible for grounds.    That guy asked if we would have trailers overnight.   I replied back "no" to my friend.     Waiting for response,   but hoping this is a good sign that we did not get a early "no".

Haha,   yeah Montpelier would only be fun if something new.    Could have been a cool photo op though,  :-)

If school lot is not possible,  I can find something closer.  
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 1:59pm
OK. How far is it from the high school to the trail head?
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 4:09pm
My original plan was to start at High School,   travel some back roads to a popular "fire road" trail.  We would start out on that,  until we come to a turn off,  (not open to public,  but we are welcome).   That turn off is approx 8 miles from high school.

That turn-off is a small trail that crosses the mountain to my friend's property.  We would be coming in the "back door". Smile      Note:  I still need to scout this trail to make sure it is passable by stock Jeeps.   My friend feels it should be with a little maintenance,  but he has not been on it for a while.    I plan to scout it this weekend.

Once on my friend's property,  we can explore his trails for a while.   There are not a lot of them.  I would think an hour or two at most,   unless we wanted to do a lot of cleanup.  

For the shooting part,   (since it seems like this is going to be a very small group),  I can't imagine it lasting long,  unless someone is bringing a boat load of ammo,  haha.     It can get a little time-consuming if someone wants to sight in rifles at various yardages.   Hanging targets, etc.    If we are just going to be shooting at gongs etc.,   that would go quick.

After shooting,  it is about 7 miles back to High School.  We would be traveling different roads than coming in.

If we want to really shorten the day,   the trailers could be parked at the shooting range.   We do a little exploring,  some shooting,  and head out.      This is near Wolftown, VA if you wanted check map for that.   (I would rather not give out exact address)

I am open to as short,  or long,  a day as the group wants,   since it will only take me a few minutes to get to any of it.   No trailer required.  Smile

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 5:02pm
I have secured an alternate parking spot.   I have permission for up to 10 trailers.  (looks like we will be no where near that many Wink )   This is a large lot at company that my wife works for.    Should be very safe. 

It is a little closer ,  and more importantly, on the same side of Rt 29,  so we will not have to drive any portion of that 4-lane.

5 miles from event property at the end of day.     7 miles to trailhead,   if we do that in the morning.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2020 at 5:38pm
Sounds good to me.  I don't mind doing some trail maintenance. Its the least we can do for letting us use the trails.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2020 at 10:08pm
We successfully navigated the “backdoor” trail into my friend’s property!   What a beautiful day, hope the weather is like this next week.

Details and photos to follow.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>