Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

jerry cans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: jerry cans
    Posted: 25 Mar. 2021 at 2:41am
going throu my old shop and found about a half dozen jerry cans... some are marked US and a date stamp of 48 some 51 … one of the cans was marked USMC with a date stamp of 51 I tried to post some pics of them but cant seam to do it off my cell phone neeed help with posting pics I guess... I don't ever remember seeing a jerry can that had the usmc markings before are they commom?
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2021 at 3:05am
USMC is the manufacturer. US Metal Container co.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2021 at 3:08am
USMC stamped in the side?
Mike in AZ
Boomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2021 at 3:25am
yes usmc stamped on the side. at first I thought they were built for the marine corp. with a date on the bottom of the can of 51 ,,, so is ther a different stamp for cans that were built for just the military? some of my cans are just marked US with a date stamp on the bottom. a couple of them have no stamps on the face of the cans.   my question is witch ones were a true military jerry can
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2021 at 4:09am
Stamped on the side is for the Marines.  According to this website. At least in WWII.  Guess they did it for Korea also

Mike in AZ
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2021 at 4:22am
Boomer,
Welcome from Reno. 

I have a couple vintage as well as more recent incarnations of the Jerry Can. I even have a fairly rare Vietnam vintage USMC aluminum water Jerry can made by Conco. 

Mark is correct regarding USMC stamped on the bottom. This site is a good reference for Jerry Cans. 

Modern Jerry Cans have eliminated the air vent hole and make them a little more difficult to pour. So, a good vintage can can have a premium. I think this is thanks to the people who are currently invading our state, Californians. Unhappy

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2021 at 8:55am
A friends father used to run a drag line to clean ditches and he was up to help on a resivoir. They would have a pickup full of GI cans. 
Used an Interesting spout, something like a 2" X 10" spout with a vent tube that extended about half way into the can. You could empty a can in less than a minute.

Edited by uncamoney - 25 Mar. 2021 at 8:57am
john
 Post Reply Post Reply