Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

just getting stared

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCloutier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: just getting stared
    Posted: 09 May 2020 at 3:26pm
Hello from SE Kansas. My name is Tom new to the group and I have just started my 47 CJ2A project. This is my first flat fender but I have had other Jeeps (CJ5, YJ, TJ, JK). Although I’m not sure my wife think it’s a Jeep just a bucket of rust. I have a lot of work ahead of me to replace everything that rusted through. Since I’m starting from scratch this will be a modified rig. I know this is sacrilege but since it does not have an engine/trans I might as well have fun! We will see what the future brings. 
CT48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CT48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 4:28pm
"I have a lot of work ahead of me to replace everything that rusted through."

I think the rusty ones are worth saving these days. We are saving what was once considered barely a parts car. If you can make your own panels, it can be an inexpensive project, too.   
TCloutier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCloutier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 4:47pm
I am making what I can but still looking at $1500 in sheet metal alone. Engine, trans and transfer case is only going to cost me $500  
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 4:56pm
Welcome Tom, congrats on venturing to the dark side Thumbs Up

Yes, there are folks that want them all stock, but saving one from oblivion is hardly sacrilege Wink  

Looking forward to another build thread , you'll find folks on either side of any topic here willing to help, almost nothing you encounter that someone hasn't tackled...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
TCloutier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCloutier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 1:08am
My new toy “Bucket-O-Rust”.  This was the condition when I picked her up on a Saturday by Sunday this is what I had. I have stripped every nut and bolt off of her and have been doing grinding and cutting ever since.
I think I am going to need a new crossmember! Don’t you love the welds. I’m not quite sure why the photos are coming out sideways! 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 1:22am
Welcome to the page, TCloutier!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 4:28am
Great start Clap
What engine are you going to use?

1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 5:03am
Welcome to the page!    You work fast!!!     Keep us posted on progress.

The title to your thread caught my attention.   I was sure you meant to type "started",   but just to let you know,  (in case you did not already know) ->  you will get "stared" at also. LOL

It is amazing how much attention you will get when driving a flatfender in public. Smile
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 2:47pm
The stared made sense to me, since next week when it is done (based on his progress so far) everyone will be staring at his super cool Jeep! 
It would be a good idea to post your engine/trans- t-case plans here. There are folks that will give you the best advice on this forum. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your progress!
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
TCloutier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCloutier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 4:54pm
It’s not going to be done in the near future, I have a lot of metal work to do! Maybe someone on here could tell me why I can’t get the photos the right direction? I am going to go with a Chevy 4.3L T176 trans and D300 TC I am also picking up a D30 and AMC 20 axels both narrow. I will also be putting in PS/PB. As you see it’s living up to the JEEP name (Just Empty Every Pocket)! 
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by TCloutier TCloutier wrote:

....  Maybe someone on here could tell me why I can’t get the photos the right direction? ....

Basically because you're not taking them the right direction.  Phones know which way you're holding them so they rotate the picture when needed.  This web site?  Not so much.  Hold your phone the other way (horizontally rather than vertically) and the pictures won't be sideways so they won't be shown sideways.

Other option is to open them in a picture editing program and rotate them.  But the bottom line is that the bulletin board shows it the way it is, not the way it should be.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
TCloutier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCloutier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 5:30pm
Thank you For the info, I can edit them in the phone and rotate them from now on. 
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 5:38pm
Welcome!  you have found the site with the information.  Keep us posted on your progress. 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
 Post Reply Post Reply