Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just purchased Jeep #2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just purchased Jeep #2
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 7:34pm
His and hers Jeeps now.  I have to teach my wife, just like my dad taught me when I was a kid.  I know I'll need to be super patient.

Unlike the first Jeep, which is nearly perfect in every way but had been modified a bit, this Jeep appears to be about as original as one can find.  Both body and frame are in super good shape.  I'm sure there are some mechanical things to address, but I consider those much more doable.

Now I'm looking for a bit of information from the experts.  There is a title for it, but the prior owner has to order a copy from our Secretary of State.  Can somebody nail down the origins of the Jeep, the year, what style (it looks like a combination of the military and civilian version, but it is plated as a  CJ2a from what I can see.  Let me know if any other types of photos would be helpful.  Thanks!

48 cj2a
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 7:43pm
Looks to be a nice condition 48 CJ2A.  Congrats! 
What’s on the front bumper?  A toolbox?

Edited by Scratch - 16 Mar. 2023 at 7:44pm
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 8:01pm
Never seen a 2A with a glovebox, I suspect it has had a replacement body installed at one time, also the S/N plate was originally held on with screws not pop rivets. Nice looking Jeep, have fun with it.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
NFIHans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 8:03pm
I'm not sure what the box was for.  It looks like it may have stored a chain or something, or was an additional tool box.
48 cj2a
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 8:10pm
X2 what Lee said.  It also has the removable floors plates like the M38.  Similar features on an early reproduction tub
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Lee MN Lee MN wrote:

Never seen a 2A with a glovebox, I suspect it has had a replacement body installed at one time, also the S/N plate was originally held on with screws not pop rivets. Nice looking Jeep, have fun with it.

Lee😉
Good catch, missed that.Embarrassed
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
NFIHans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 8:11pm
The glovebox had me stumped too.  I saw a photo of the title, and it did say 1948, and the serial number seems to match up with that year.  I wondered if it was a very long ago frame up rebuild or restoration, but to go through all that and not do the same to the mechanicals doesn't make much sense either.  
48 cj2a
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 8:15pm
The box is a "glove box" as would be on a MB body, but that is not an MB body. The wheel houses are like a CJ2A, so is the grill. I can't tell from the pictures whether the windshield, or hood has the Willys logo.

I also think it has had a replacement body installed at some point. Some earlier reproduction bodies had a mix of features, which is what we see here.

Still, a nice looking Jeep, and if you aren't worried about the Jeep Police, the general public doesn't know, or care about the minor differences between Jeep versions. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
NFIHans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 8:22pm
It doesn't have the drainage slots in the side.  But it does have the creases of the military version.  There is only some slight surface rust on the body and frame.  The windshield does have the Willys stamped logo.  

I'm not too worried about the Jeep police!  It will spend most of it's life as a cattle farm Jeep on about 200 acres of pasture and woods.  It was cheaper than a side by side at $7K  Just have to make sure mechanically it is good and sound.  And I'll need a top for it since we're in Michigan.  There is a heater for it.
48 cj2a
NFIHans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 8:25pm
The hood also has the Willys stamped logo.
48 cj2a
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 9:19pm
I'll second or third (or fourth) the "older repro tub" notion.  Most likely '80s MD Juan, I would think.  Someone probably just bought the tub and used the original hood and windshield frame (and fenders too?).
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I'll second or third (or fourth) the "older repro tub" notion.  Most likely '80s MD Juan, I would think.  Someone probably just bought the tub and used the original hood and windshield frame (and fenders too?).

I think there was another outfit called “Genmark” or something like that years ago that made salad bodies of all models into one…

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2023 at 11:24pm
Yep there was an outfit called that, and several others manufacturing bodies for the old Jeeps that were better than rusted out ones, but not necessarily 100% correct. We didn't care as much about being "correct" in the 70s and 80s, we just wanted decent Jeeps. 

There was some outfit making aluminum bodies, and another making them out of stainless steel. Those weren't correct either, but I wish I had one now.

I think having a glove box, and tool indents is cool on a CJ2A. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
IronAge52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronAge52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 1:02am
is their a Jeep embossed in the sheet metal passenger side in front of the tool box. I don't think re-pop tubs ever had it. all original tubs did.
gearwrencher
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 8:34am
The 70’s reproduction bodies often had axe & shovel indents on the passenger side (like M38) as well as MB style glove boxes.
Does this one have the tool indents?  Another common repro trait from then was that there was one big hole in the firewall for wiing vs the original amaller holes. 
Looks solid!  Someone gave that jeep some love through its life.
NFIHans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NFIHans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2023 at 11:07am
There are indents in the passenger side.  I do notice some differences between this body and my other CJ2a 48 that, has been lifted a couple of inches, the bigger wider tires with aluminum rims, the rear wheelhouse cut out to move the seats back, high back bucket seats, and having the tilt forward front end, is all original body with the Jeep logo on the toolbox.  I'm in the process of changing out everything but the tilt front end.  I am changing over to steel wheels, have some STA 7x16 tires for it, and some nice black canvas seats.  That one is Luzon red.  I can't bring myself to tool around in the mud and cow manure with it.

The toolbox does not have the Jeep logo.  That was one of the first things I looked for.

I'll give it a good cleaning, check out the mechanicals, and work with it.  It will be perfect for our intended use, with a lot more of a  "cool factor" than a common side by side when driving around the property.
48 cj2a
 Post Reply Post Reply