Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kaiser Willys Disc brake How to

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaiser Willys Disc brake How to
    Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 10:00am
This post will cover a step by step install of the front disc brake kit for the dana 25/27.

This is not a post about which kit is better etc.... Simply a look into what comes with the kit and what is involved with the swap. 

Here is what you get with the kit.... (the dual master is a separate kit) I will post details on that later this week.

Raise and secure the jeep. Remove front wheels. 

Remove rubber flex line, Hose shield and steel S line from the wheel cylinder. 

Remove locking hub or drive flange. 

Once spindle nuts are exposed remove spindle lock nut, washer, nut and thrust washer. 

Once all nuts and washers are removed, 

Slide the drum and hub off of the spindle. Have a rag over the hub to catch the front wheel bearing as you slide the hub off. This will expose the brake shoes and spindle. Remove the 6 3/8 bolts holding the backing pate to the knuckle. 

Remove the spindle

next you will need the spindle, caliper bracket and dust shield. Clean the spindle and knuckle sealing surface. I wipe a small amount of grey rtv on the knuckle and the threads of the bolts. I also use longer than stock bolts to hold the caliper bracket on. I use 3/8-24 x 1.5" with lock washers. This helps maintain full thread engagement after adding 1/4" thick caliper bracket. Its a personal choice if you want to upgrade to socket head cap screws upgrade. It would be a good time to do this if you feel so inclined. 

This is the correct order of how the parts are installed. Note the bend in the caliper bracket goes back towards the knuckle. 

The ears where the caliper mount face outward. 

Some grinding is required. The caliper wont hit when the pads are new. As the pads wear the caliper will move contacting the knuckle in the area where the wiper seal bolts are located. A small trough should be made nearest the bolt in the photo. I also removed a little from the knuckle and a small amount from the caliper. Test fit and remove the desired amount. this is something you could do after some miles are put on the kit. If you chose to do that just make sure you frequently check for clearance as the pads and rotor begin to wear. I decided to do it all right now so I don't have to worry about it later. DO NOT let this step detour you from making this upgrade. Its nothing structural and once its done and painted you wont ever give it another thought. 

Paint if desired. 

Prepare the new hub for bearings. all these parts are included in the kit. 

You could use a press but I just use a hammer and a brass rod. the bearings drive in easily. 

Make sure they are seated all the way.

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 10:10am
Part 2

Prepare the rotor and new wheel studs. 

The hub goes on the outside of the rotor as shown

Press or drive the studs through the back of the rotor ensuring the splines fully engage the hub and that there is no gap between the parts. 

Prepare bearings and hub seal. 

Pack the rear bearing with grease and drop it in the back of the hub. 

Install included hub seal 

Pack front bearing with grease. Clean and prepare spindle for hub and rotor. I recommend wiping a little grease on the hub seal surface. 

Slide the new hub and rotor on the spindle. Install front bearings and spindle nuts/washers. 

They go on in this order. 

Tighten the first nut until you feel the correct amount of drag. I make new bearings a little tighter than used bearings. Consult willys shop manual for exact procedure. I go by feel. The second washer and nut are to lock everything in place. They can be much tighter. I personally do no bend over the locking washer but that is up to you. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 10:23am
Part 3

Locate the correct caliper. They are marked with L or R on the back side of the caliper. Remove the slide pins... (3/8 Allen wrench) ensure the pads are installed correctly and set the caliper on over the rotor and reinstall slide pins as shown. When done correctly the bleeder screw will point upward and be at the highest point. 

The caliper should mover freely a small amount left and right. Since its a new caliper you do not need to depress the piston. 

This photo shows the area the was ground off and why it is important. 

Bend steel brake line back to stock location and prepare the included rubber flex hoses. 

There are many ways you could mount the hose. I prefer to use the stock location on the axle. this method requires no modifications. 

It offers ample clearance and works great! There is ample room to run tire chains with this setup. 

Reinstall your hub or drive flange. Follow your normal bleeding procedure to removal the air from the system 

Reinstall you wheels and you are done!

I am running stock 16x4.5"  cj2a wheels. I use 1" spacers and there is tons of room to clear the calipers. With out the spacers they do rub. I would estimate a minimum spacer of 1/4-1/2" would be needed to clear the calipers with stock wheels. 15" wheels from a later cj5 or scout clear with no spacers. 

later this week I will install the Kaiser willys Dual reservoir master cylinder. I will chronical that project as well. Thanks for watching! 

Here is a detailed step by step video. 

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 10:38am
Great post! Thanks for taking the time to do it.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Scratch Scratch wrote:

Great post! Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Happy to help! Thank you for reading it! 
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 9:19pm
nice write up. If a rotor needs replacing, you need to pull the hub and remove the wheel studs to remove it?
thanks.   
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

nice write up. If a rotor needs replacing, you need to pull the hub and remove the wheel studs to remove it?
thanks.   

Thanks. That is correct. That’s how all the older Dana disc brake axles were setup. It’s the same procedure on a factory disc brake Dana 30 from a cj5 or cj7. The good news is. Very few people put enough miles on them to need rotors very often 😆 I’ve been driving the wheels off my tdi jeep for 6 years and the rotors are still perfect 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

Originally posted by jeepsterjim jeepsterjim wrote:

thanks.   

Thanks. That is correct. That’s how all the older Dana disc brake axles were setup. It’s the same procedure on a factory disc brake Dana 30 from a cj5 or cj7. The good news is. Very few people put enough miles on them to need rotors very often 😆 I’ve been driving the wheels off my tdi jeep for 6 years and the rotors are still perfect 

Thanks for the reply back. 

Here's a "floating" type of rotor on a D30.   

Edited by jeepsterjim - 13 Feb. 2023 at 11:06pm
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2023 at 11:11pm
That is not a stock cj Dana 30 brake setup. You can put slip on rotors on anything including Dana 25 too if you wanted to. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2023 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Millennium falcon Millennium falcon wrote:

That is not a stock cj Dana 30 brake setup. You can put slip on rotors on anything including Dana 25 too if you wanted to. 

'79 D30 hubs, spindles, ETC. Did install longer studs without having to drill out hubs.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply