Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Knock after rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by MooCow MooCow wrote:

Is the fact that the main bearing looks brand new and indicator that there is not metal traveling through the system?

That main cap bearing does't look new to me. Looks scored up like debris is going through the bearings. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

MooCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 6:21pm
OK, I see the scoring in the main it’s just not as noticeable as in the copper color. I truly believe my engine was clean when I put it together but when the knock happened immediately after start up could whatever that is be the culprit of the metal? And another question is what do I do next? I’d really like to get through a jeep trip In April before I tear it out again. Also I am no closer to finding out what the knock is. 
1949 CJ3A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 8:12pm
I agree with Joe about the main bearing, and those rod bearings don't look so good either.

What did you use for pre-lube, and did you prime the oil pump?

Does not take long to score the bearings if they aren't getting lubrication.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
MooCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 8:35pm
I used assembly lube and pre primed the pump. I also pumped a little oil in with a hand pump. 
1949 CJ3A
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 9:45pm
It's an old line. The L134 motor is not a quiet motor. "If you can't hear it runnning, something is out of adustment".
My old Chevy with the I 132 would be stopped at a light, a woman from the back poked me on the shoulder, "Your motor died, nope, er, after a look at the gauges".
The bearings look wrong. I have torn apart engines with over 80,000 miles on them. Much less scoring even if worn down to te copper.
john
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 10:00pm
After torqueing the mains, did you turn the crank by hand? It should have been smooth as butter. I'd guess wrist pin too. Were the piston pins moving freely on all 4 pistons? Wrist pins make a different noise than a rod knock. It's a noise that is not like a lifter tick and not like a rod knock. Sort of in between the two. If the pin is tight, the noise will stay the same when you pull that cylinder's plug wire. I think the noise from a tight pin is the piston slapping the cylinder. Just my theory though. Sometimes you just have tear it apart again. If it makes you feel better I rarely put a new engine in and don't have to pull it back out for one reason or another.  
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
MooCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MooCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 10:19pm
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the help and feedback. The Pistons seemed to move freely with no problem. The first when I had a bad number three piston I could not move the crank by hand fully assembled. After I got another piston I could rotate it over by hand. I would not say it was like butter but it was low to medium force with 1 hand. 
1949 CJ3A
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 5:03pm
Butter would be just with the crank installed.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 5:48pm

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 09 Mar. 2021 at 5:52pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

Butter would be just with the crank installed.
spellcheck?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar. 2021 at 8:59pm
From an earlier post....
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

After torqueing the mains, did you turn the crank by hand? It should have been smooth as butter.  

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123