Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L 134 Block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L 134 Block
    Posted: 05 Jan. 2023 at 10:55pm
Looking for a good re-buildable L134 for my 1948 CJ2a. Unfortunatly mine fell down with the dreadded waterjacket cracking under the distributer. :(  Investigation shows a very thin casting in the area of failure. 
 I know it's a long shot but let's see what's out there.
 Thanks!
John
49 CJ3A - Dauntless V6 -Sold
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold
49 CJ3A Custom Rock Crawler -Sold
58 FC170 350 Chev,snow plow -Sold
48 CJ2A 206401 Original and keeping it that way !!! Current   

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 12:02am
  John,
  I’ve been told by multiple sources that that crack can be repaired. One of the methods is Lock-n-Stitch. I am preparing to attempt such a repair on a block as we speak. If you find another block, don’t throw yours away. Yet. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 9:39am

A crack in that area is very common, and has been successfully repaired by many. As Bruce mentioned, Lock-n-Stitch is probably the best method for a more permanent repair.

It all depends on how bad the crack is, but there are other solutions.

There used to be a guy at a machine shop I use who was known for repairing cracks with some form of welding called "Powder Welding". I had a block with a crack in that area I wanted him to repair, but he up and died before I could get it to him. That engine is still sitting in my barn. I used it for years with the crack but it only weeped a little so I just topped off the radiator when it got low. Not something you want to have for a rebuild.

A simple but often successful method done by many is sealing the crack by grinding a depression along the crack and filling it with JB Weld. 

Years ago I had a crack like that in the block of my old Ford tractor. I spoke with one of the guys at the machine shop I used back then and he gave me a product he called "Cold Weld" which was a green ball of stuff he told me to drop into the water jacket. I took that home removed the thermostat housing and dropped in the ball. After running the tractor that day to mow my lower field it quit leaking, and never leaked again for twenty years. I gave that tractor to a friend of mine a few years ago and he still uses it, and it still doesn't leak.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 11:05am
The motor had just one crack about 3" long that I had done the JB weld trick with Stop Leak added. It was holding pretty well (seeping at times). Because I'm doing a complete frame off rebuild I just had to mess with the cracked area to see how it was doing. (was not intending to rebuild the great running motor). To my dismay there were now cracks above and below the existing and one perpendicular connecting the two. Think of an "H"  The area was also bulging out a bit so I imagine it might have frozen somewhere in the past before it was kept in my heated garage all the time. 
My wife and I are planning a 800 mile off highway adventure across WY this summer so I want to make sure everything will be trouble free as I can. 
56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 11:25am
  The motor in my 2a has a JB weld repair I did about 8 years ago and it has been leak free. The trick with JB weld is to get the area clean of oil, dirt and rust for it to stick.  I also  'V' grooved the cracks and covered the repair with a brass plate that I stamped the bearing data on just to hide the repair.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 12:35pm
I don't think JB Weld is going to fix a bulging crack like that without reinforcement. I did see one repaired with a plate bolted over such a hole and sealed with JB Weld, but cracks in cast iron will usually continue to spread without the crack being pinned.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

I don't think JB Weld is going to fix a bulging crack like that without reinforcement. I did see one repaired with a plate bolted over such a hole and sealed with JB Weld, but cracks in cast iron will usually continue to spread without the crack being pinned.

Over 8 years and still working, this motor also had a internal leak in side the block where the  distributor goes in.  A sleeve and JB weld fixed it also. I am not going to argue with success.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 1:09pm
I had a crack repaired right below the distributor. The crack looked like a smiley face and was about 3 1/2 inches long. Had it repaired with the Lock n Stitch method.  Doesn't leak to this day.  Had it done about 9 months ago.  
Mark
1946 CJ2A
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 2:05pm
Jim,

I wasn't doubting you, as I have seen cracks in that area successfully fixed with JB Weld, and the OP even said he had some success with it, until the crack got worse.

My comment is based on his statement "The area was also bulging out a bit".

That bulging and the combination of additional cracks since his JBW repair indicates a bigger problem than the usual crack seen there. 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 5:18pm
If it were mine I’d try to TIG weld it (straight polarity) with 50-99% nickel rod.

Edited by oldtime - 06 Jan. 2023 at 5:19pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 9:29pm
Here's a few photos of the last few days playing with the cracked block. After a failed attempt of brazing by a certified boiler welder friend. I cut out the mess of cracks and welded in a piece of mild steel using missile rod for dissimilar metals.   It will be interesting to run it through a few hot/cold cycles to see if the dissimilar metals will try to destroy each other.
I went over this a few times cleaning it up, re-welding and pressurizing the block to 18psi with air. Spent some time chasing pin holes but I only have about 5 remaining that Stop leak will have to help with. Wink 

56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2023 at 7:51am
Wow. Pain felt. Looks like another crack took off near the distributor. 

I had a MB block with a thin casting at the base blow open a hole inside and out while blasting the block. I ground it back to thicker material and fished a patch inside behind the holes, inside and out. Held them tight and mig welded them shut 1/4 inch at a time. You keep it cool. If it re-cracks, do it over. I then ground the welds flat and smeared JB weld over the repairs, inside and out. They haven't ever leaked in 19 years. That engine is still standard. 

I've discovered that if the oil float on your pickup is squashed down, that engine had water in it that froze. LOL! I found it again on another engine that was terrible. 

Good luck with your repair. Blocks are very tough to find now that are worth fixing. If it's out of a Jeep, it's out for a reason. If a guy is just changing to another type of engine and his old Lhead is a runner, they don't last long. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2023 at 10:38am
Ouch!!

I have a supper sonic assembly I picked up a few years ago. I rebuilt a tranny for a guys 46’   It was as his dads and he couldn’t find anyone else to do it. Anyway about a year later he called and said I could pick this engine up if I wanted it. I didn’t charge him any labor on the tranny and he didn’t charge me anything for the engine. He thought it was good but who knows?

I was up your way last summer and it a ways up there. I would play it forward if yours doesn’t work out. 

Mike

Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2023 at 11:53am
PM sent

56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold

Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2023 at 12:25pm
I feel your pain.
This is how I felt after I saw a crack on my block...

43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
danozeman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danozeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2023 at 7:26pm
I have a nice cj engine I just picked up in a lot of mb parts of your still searching for one. Standard bores with no ridge. Block 641087 casting number 
Wrongway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrongway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 11:10am
Thank you, to all for the help.
I did find a block local and it's now at the machine shop getting better than new.

56 Wagon Buick V6 -Sold

RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2023 at 8:29pm
Glad you were able to find a good one. 

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply