Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L-134 Carbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L-134 Carbs
    Posted: 25 June 2018 at 12:05am
All,

I know the WO Carter is standard on the CJ-series though others will work and were available (Solex most notably).

In addition to the 47 CJ2a, I have a 49 Jeepster VJ that has the Zenith Carb which was supposedly standard.

Curious to those that know; which carbs were chosen for the L134 and why?  In what circumstances and use cases. Factors that decided or influenced. As well as differences, if any in performance.

Looking to gain more knowledge.

Thanks,

-Thomas

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 1:03am
I'm no expert, but your Jeepster has a different intake manifold than a CJ2A, if you look at it the carb mounting studs are right and left, where on a 2A they are front and back, the mounting base on the Zenith is slightly larger than the Carter W-O, a Carter YF also shares the same mounting footprint of the Zenith, the larger base or bore in the carb no doubt adds a little performance more so with the vacume advance distributor, basically the same settup as the Kaiser Supersonic!... I cannot answer why, but the Jeepster settup was for more HP.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
tufcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 3:23am
Thanks Lee.

Interesting. I was looking at the specs of both CJ2a and Jeepster on the Kaiser site.  Both have same engine. Same displacement, HP, Torque, compression.  I always attributed it to the gear ratio and transmission.  It's definitely peppier than the CJ. Granted it's a rebuilt engine probably operating as clean as can be expected, but it'll get up to 50 in no time and probably hit 60 with some effort.  And it's carrying an extra 350lbs.

I'm most curious as I can have my carter WO rebuilt, but I have some Zenith's in working order.  Currently running a Solex, which runs fine, but sticks at the beginning of the throttle.  I can return to SM, but want to put something on that'll work.

Also just curious why the Willys boys didn't stick with the same carb across the line.  Other than availability issues. Odd.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 2:07am
The Carter WO was the chosen carburetor for the WWII Willys MB back in 1941.  A very light and powerful combination for the time.  The Jeepster was developed much later on.  Like any healthy car company, there is always a desire to improve current models (thus the 3A, M38, 3B, the M38A1, the CJ5, etc) and to expand the offering to appeal to a larger market (Truck, Wagon, Jeepster, Aerocar, etc). Staying with the same outdated technology would doom most companies.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply