Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L-134 Ignition Timing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 8:10pm
I did read your post and you may have left a few things out of it. People are having problems with condensers now. I just wrote you what I know.
uncamonkey
6aerobat@gmail.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6aerobat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 8:23pm
yes, thanks. Looks to be that the timing chain may have junped a tooth on the gear. If that is the case, that would explain everythihg. Looks like some one had the cover off not too long ago. I onlly have 100 miles on the CJ-2A since purchase. Well, its only 70+ years old.....
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 8:49pm
Is your engine old enough to have a chain drive? Most 2A's are gear drive show us a photo of your timing cover as they are different between the two cam drives.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6aerobat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 9:45pm
CJ-2A, early 46   Don't know if it is chain or gear-  I have not pulled timing cover yet. I will try to get a photo   thanks
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2018 at 1:00am
If a gear drive skips a tooth the cam gear has to have broken teeth in which case each time it comes around it will slip more or just stop moving the cam at all.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6aerobat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 12:14am
This motor (L134) has cam timing chain.  I inspected, the timing marks (crank and cam)are exactly in line with the center line of the cam. However, the flywheel TDC mark at that time is about a quarter of a turn off and the points near to closing (not opening)  at plug # 4
none of this makes sense....  not so sure what to do here......?   I have about 100 miles on CJ-2A since purchase, was running great, driving down the street and it went dead. I was told that it had been rebuilt in the last few hundred miles. Two things dont make sense, where the points are in relation to the timing marks, and where the flywheel TDC marks are at at that same position.    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6aerobat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 5:02pm
I pulled the pan off, looks like  the #1 piston is at TDC in agreement with the timing marks, but 
no where near the timing marks on the flywheel.  
So.... does any one know, is the flywheel on a spline?  If so can it be installed way wrong,  like 30 degrees off?

What is interesting is that the engine ran great until it just went dead....
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 7:47pm
  The flywheel isn't spline but it does have 2 dowel bolts, tapered,  or straight larger ones if it has been converted making it possible for the flywheel to on go on 2 ways , so it could be 180 degrees off.

The way I check  for timing when timing marks is in question is take the #1 plug out and place it with wire connected  so it can be seen and take the distributor cap off and crank the motor over with my thumb on #1 plug hole and watch for the spark in relation to blowing my thumb off the hole. This will get you in the ball park and then you can fine tune it from there. I just did it this way a few weeks ago when I put a M38 motor in my 47 that had no timing marks because it had a cj2a timing cover on it.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 8:20pm
As WeeWilly said, the flywheel can go on two ways. If you do it right, your timing marks line up. If you do it wrong, your timing marks are 180 degrees off. You can still time from the # 4 plug. I cannot figure out how your timing can be off by 30 degrees unless somebody did a real Bubba job to the flywheel.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6aerobat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2018 at 10:55pm
Unkamonkey.you are right , the flywheel is 180 out, I think I must have looked at the distributor and  thought is was only 30 deg. 
So now, the cam/crank timing chain is correct, the flywheel is 180,  and I can not turn the distributor enough to get the points to open  - I will pull oil pump and inspect the drive gear, rotate to the proper position.  

I seems  that the prior owner rotated the plug wires a 1/4 turn CW and  was able to start the engine. It ran really good actually. It had an electronic distributor that I replaced with one with points. The original distributor was firing the coil, but the rotor was too far from the contact in the cap for the plug to fire.  The rotor was badly rusted, and unchangeable.    I understand why it would run, but not why it ran so good and then just quit without warning.  Any thoughts on that? Take care and thanks. John
BTW, what is WeeWilly?
Indianax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indianax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 5:56pm
Hallo zusammen, ist diese Datei noch verfügbar? Vielen Dank im Voraus für jede Eingabe.
Grüße
Indianax

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 7:48pm

Quote, BTW what is WeeWilly?

It is a nick name that was given to me me a long, long time ago when I was a teenager with my name being Wilson and under 5' tall weighing 87 lbs. when I was 18 years old.

Jim

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
uncamoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncamoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2021 at 8:16pm
I'm not going there... One of my nicknames is Big John on job sites. My old user name is actually Uncamonkey. I  got it from my neices.
john
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12