Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lake City, CO Alpine Trek? - Event Date: 15 July 2019 - 19 July 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brigadier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Lake City, CO Alpine Trek?
    Posted: 31 May 2018 at 3:02pm
The 22 IPC of the WWII HRS would like to entertain a excursion to Lake City for the purpose of an old jeep run. John Herman of our group went to Ouray last year with the Flat Fender group to recon and despite nearly killing himself while totally wrecking his CJ came back with glowing reports. Now Jeff Brendle and I want to take our WWII jeeps there next summer. I've been organizing convoys within the MVPA for some years and have been looking for another location to check off my bucket list. I found my searches returning to the Alpine Loop area, so it has been decided to do this next year. Anybody else interested?
This would not be one of my official Trooper Tyree Tours, just a show and go event. No registration, no nothing.
Considering a base camp in Lake City or a circular route to Silverton, Telluride, Ridway, Ouray, then return to Lake City. Any suggestions?
Lake City was picked as it is 100 miles closer to us St. Louis, MO folks and I believe it would be less crowded than Ouray. We cannot do the fall Colorado run as it conflicts with the big WWII reenactment held in Rockford, IL.

Terry Johns
halftrackjohns@att.net
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 3:19pm
I might ... be interested depending on when it happens and what the end route needs to be. We have had a similar discussion about this before:

MB adventure

I was trying to figure out how to do a loop that starts from the Thirsty Dirt Ranch (Nathrop, CO), Taylor Pass, Pearl pass, Schofield Pass. Then drop down to Ouray and head to Lake City via Engineer Pass .... then figure out how to get to Hancock Pass and back to TDR.

I definitely plan to do a Pearl Pass/Schofield Pass loop next year. If you plan your event in August, maybe I can meet up with you and trek with you on Engineer to Lake City.

Maybe you should come to the Black Hills in two weeks and we can talk about it:

Black Hills Run June 18 - 22
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 3:59pm
Would this event be military rigs only?
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
The Brigadier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brigadier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 3:11pm
A tentative date has been picked, July 15-19, 2019. that is Monday through Friday allowing a weekend to get to and from. July works best for me but we want to avoid doing it on the week of the 4th-obviously. I discovered that Telluride has some sort of week-long "Rider Event", that weekend this year. What that is, I don't know but it looked like a concert?? Could it interfere with us?

Have already done the Black Hills twice in a jeep and three times on horseback (long ago). My Black Hills Tyree Tour is my favorite, went from Fort Robinson to Devil's Tower and back over ten days. Last one included the Badlands. I like that because it has four different types of terraine. Once you get tired of one its on to another.

As to the hoped for Lake City 2019 trek: It has not been decided if it would be a base camp from Lake City of a circular route. Base camps are convenient as you don't have to lug along everything but it limits your range and extends the mileage. We would like to avoid the most difficult passes.

August is out for me as I plan to attend the big D-Day Conneaut, Ohio event. Same goes for Sept. as then there are two other WWII reenactments that I go to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brigadier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 3:16pm
Regarding military only? No decision here yet. Which would you prefer?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by The Brigadier The Brigadier wrote:

Regarding military only? No decision here yet. Which would you prefer?

Not really a preference thing. If it’s civilian dress welcome, then I might see if I can get there. It sounds like fun, but if it’s limited to military rigs, that’s ok too. I just won’t worry about checking my calendar.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brigadier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 8:04pm
Years ago there was a Missouri WWII Convoy (13 vehicles) based from Columbia. I took it over after it folded and moved it south into the Ozarks, but I gave it up (lack of interest). I moved forward allowing all military vehicles and uniforms not being a requirement although they were encouraged.
So, uniforms will not be required but no decision about it be restricted to military only vehicles-yet.
I think the deciding factor would be what others want to do. If there was enough interest, say 10-20 military 4X4s, I'd be okay with that. But if the interest is not there and a like number of post-war civies want to participate?
We'll see. Let me know either way.
nivrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nivrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 7:47am
Just a POI for those of you who may be planning on coming to Ouray in the summer. Usually the 3rd or 4th weeks of July are used by the FJ Cruiser guys for their annual Summit event. Both the city of Ouray and most all of the trails are packed with Toyotas for that week. Lake City would be a good option to base out of for those dates.

FYI,
Mike
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 12:19pm
Sounds interesting!, a word of advise about the MB/GPW over 9500', they do not like to run! , I would recommend a temporary rerouted of the fuel line directly from the tank to the fuel pump or your going to struggle with vapor lock, Emogene pass will eat your lunch!. Also make damn sure your rigs are in top operating condition, brakes/steering/transmission, this is no place for so-so equipment! .....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brigadier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2018 at 3:02pm
The three of us St. Louis area WWII Brit. reenactors, who belong to this idea, plan to get together soon to decide exactly how we want to do it next year.

Here is what I might suggest:
1. Starting Monday from Lake City on July 15, 2019, we begin with a shake down cruise to Capitol City and bit further, returning to Lake City.
2. Head south past Lake Cristobal to the Rio Grande then west over Stony Pass to Silverton for the night.
3. From Silverton head to Telluride for lunch and then north to Ridway (perhaps to Ouray).
4. From there via Animas Forks over Cinnamon Pass back to Lake City.
5. (Friday) One last hurrah to the location of choice and back to Lake City before heading home.

This proposal entails dragging your gear along-a pain. It may yet be decided to return to Lake City every night or more often with maybe one overnight excursion to Silverton.

This is open to discussion, feel free to wade in.

My GPW does not have the original fuel filter arrangement, the fuel line going straight from the tank to the fuel pump. Previous owner used the space where the original filter was to add a solenoid for starting the engine which I much prefer over the foot starter. Mine starts by turn of the key.

My jeep has gone over The Valley of Life Road in New Mexico during my Santa Fe Trail Convoy and I had two vapor locks. I carry a hand spray bottle of water now and avoid ethanol fuel when possible. I tell folks to open those hoods up when you stop and don't just turn the key off-let your engine idle for a few minutes to cool down during warm to hot drives.

All of our jeeps or convoy veterans; Missouri convoy, Santa Fe Trail or Black Hills Convoy.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2018 at 2:42pm
I'd like to add that my '43 GPW which I took over Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass in stock figuration is NOT the Jeep you want to take. It's not geared low enough with 4:88 gears. My brakes were the only thing that saved me. Fuel delivery was terrible over 10,500 feet. Stock routing which never gives me any trouble anywhere else. So, if you are driving gravel roads and flat type routes, you will be fine, but I wouldn't attempt those passes mentioned. Due to the stock 4:88 gears, I doubt very much my Jeep would have climbed Imogene the opposite way which ends in Telluride. The trail was nearly straight up in places which I slid all 4 tires going down. Good luck with your tour. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Brigadier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 5:27pm
My response: Black Bear is rated: HARD & Imogene is rated Moderate by All Trails.
As this is my first trek in the Colorado Mts. in my GPW I want to shy away from the HARD passes.
In sequence the passes that we will take (if my suggested route is chosen) are; Stony @12,650 ft. (Easy) , Ophir @12,789 ft. (Moderate), California @ 12,930 ft. (Moderate) , & Cinnamon @12,620 ft. (Moderate).
Here is the route, starting and ending at Lake City, CO, that I am suggesting:
Day 1. Shake-down cruise to Capitol City.
Day 2. Silver Thread Scenic Byway south to Rio Grand west over Stony Pass to Silverton for the night.
Day 3. Over Ophir Pass to Telluride for lunch, then north via Last Dollar Road to Ridgway, side road to Ouray for the night.
Day 4. Ouray south to California Pass to Animas Forks, over Cinnamon Pass east to Lake San Cristobal, return to Lake City.
The whole route is 200 miles. Longest stretch is Day 3, 76 miles.
All three of us have WWII jeeps and have traversed my 900 mile, 2016 Black Hills Convoy.
Comments?
Anybody else interested?
Fred, what about you?
When I did my Santa Fe Trail MVPA Convoy the gas-burners had vapor lock problems, including me. I learned 1) no high-octane fuel, 2) added small heater under the dash which added more coolant and when the GPW gets hot I turn on the fan motor & 3) carry a spray water bottle. (I was always telling the gas-burners to open their hoods when they stopped when it was hot and let the engines idle to cool down-not turn off the engine straight away. The highest we got then was perhaps the pass over the San Cristos on the Valley of Life Road, maybe 10.000 ft.
Terry
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2018 at 6:26pm
My opinion, Last August, myself and 18 other Jeeps spent 3 days in Ouray, most had mountain proven vehicles and experience driving mountain trails, I had never been to the area at least 1/2 of the group had. Me personally, I found nothing of Black Bear or Imogene difficult to cover, Black Bear other than the steps being intimidating and steep is no more difficult than most any other mountain trail, the altitude and steep climbs of Imogene make it difficult, not rock crawling or the likes (my opinion), to go to Ouray and not see Black Bear would be like going to Hawii and not going to Pearl Harbor We did travel a bit of what your planning on, again what we travelled was not difficult but much over 9,000 ft and low gear low range and that takes time, a lot more than you think!, with a group of our size, we were constantly stopping to pee that takes a 1/2 hour minimum!.... I'm not trying to talk you out of this, just trying to bring to light the facts of traveling trail of this area. There is nothing in Missouri, Nebraska, or the Black Hills ( I've spent much time jeeping there) that even remotely comparis to the Ouray area, its steep, and slow going. As previously stated in the above posts, a WW2 Jeep is not particularly suited for these trails in either gearing or fuel distribution, an M38 or A1 has the gearing but the carburators work poorly at higher elevations, expect much trouble, it's a fact of the area. Also if a rig does have issues, you'll never pull it with another at hi altitudes, a go devil Jeep can barely pull itself on these trails. Another point, traveling the paved roads in the area is also an issue, our vintage Jeeps can only muster 25 mph, the local traffic gets backed up behind the column and in most places there is nowhere to pull over All that being said, when I return to the area in the future it will be with a smaller group, or groups of 8-10 Jeeps, more than that takes to much time and makes for very long days.. I strongly suggest you pm Nivrat here, he is an expert on the area and will steer you right!..

Best of luck on your adventure!, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 12:50pm
I was one of the 18 traveling with Lee last year. I would add that if you have any known mechanical issues that they be taken care of a head of time. 

Transmission that pop out of gear or brakes that pull one way or another are a minor inconvenience on back roads and flat trails, but prove to be quite dangerous on these trails. 

Fuel issues become major when you are on a one way steep trail and you stall out, ask me how I know Angry

I have done the area twice and would do it again, with a small group for the reasons Lee alluded to.

Enjoy your trip and safe travels

Glen
Glen
49 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 4:52pm
Red Willy Said: "Transmission that pop out of gear or brakes that pull one way or another are a minor inconvenience on back roads and flat trails, but prove to be quite dangerous on these trails."

Shocked Amen to that!  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply