Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Larry's Kubota Diesel swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larry's Kubota Diesel swap
    Posted: 30 Apr. 2014 at 3:05pm

After much thought, I have decided to upgrade the engine in my 1949 CJ2A to a Kubota Turbo Diesel.
I love diesels and the Kubota V2203 is a nice swap in the Willys Jeeps.

I inherited this Jeep in 2002 after my father passed away. It was his little baby. He bought it in 1974 from the grandson of the original owner. The old fellow never took it off road and it was in amazing condition. It of course needed restoration but was a 99% rust free Jeep. I helped my dad restore it in 1974 and it has been painted one more time since then. It still has the original oak in the hat channels!

Dad and I rebuilt the L-head engine in 1976. It still runs good but it will be nice to have more torque which I am sure the diesel upgrade will provide.

I apologize in advance to anyone who is offended by my blatant disregard
for originality. My Dad believed in upgrading for safety and reliability.
The Jeep has 11 inch brakes, 12 volt electrical, a Warn overdrive, seat belts and
an auxiliary gas tank so despite appearances, it is not stock anyway.

I bought a used V2203 engine and have been working on it to get it ready for the
transplant. Greg at Overland Diesel sold me the conversion kit and the turbo kit and
the later model bell housing. Here are pictures of the Jeep, the engine as I received it,
the engine all cleaned up painted.

I hope to start the removal of the original engine (which will be for sale) soon.

If anyone local is interested in the engine, perhaps we can make a deal. It runs well
and is a complete engine minus alternator.

I am planning to use the stock Jeep gauges and add a two gauge panel under the dash for a boost
gauge and a pyrometer.  My Jeep has dual heaters and I plan to keep those too.

Edited by Lemield - 30 Apr. 2014 at 7:25pm
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2014 at 6:18pm
Keep posting pics!  I would love to see that installation and find out the costs involved.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2014 at 7:24pm

I will post an itemized list of parts and expenditures when I'm done. It's not exactly cheap...:)

Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:23am
I enjoy watching the diesel swaps.  Cant wait to see this one come together.
1952 m38
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:46am
Wish you were closer because my motor is super tired but I am very poor too LOL Great looking Jeep and good luck with your swap.

copicmarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copicmarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:27am
Great looking Jeep. Keep posting, pls!

Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Wish you were closer because my motor is super tired but I am very poor too LOL Great looking Jeep and good luck with your swap.

Hi BerettaJeep.....I could make you a pretty sweet deal on my L head engine....:)

Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 3:14pm
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone.

A special thanks to Daniel Buck for answering my questions about his Kubota swap and sending me some pictures of his work.
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Lemield Lemield wrote:

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Hi BerettaJeep.....I could make you a pretty sweet deal on my L head engine....:)

I am interested but won't hold my breath. Been out of work for 5 months since I moved but just started a job, so I am poor. Cry

Please PM me with what you are thinking and we shall go from there. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone.

A special thanks to Daniel Buck for answering my questions about his Kubota swap and sending me some pictures of his work.

Daniel's Jeep is very nice and his build is nicely done.
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2014 at 8:32pm
Here is a picture of the Go Devil L-head that's in it now. The aluminum plate is something my father created to help prevent the fuel from boiling out of the carb in hot weather. It seems to help.
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 3:13am

I will post an itemized list of parts and expenditures when I'm done. It's not exactly cheap...:)

Hah, I never itemize how much I spend on my jeeps, that's a bad idea   LOL

Good luck on the swap!  :-)

AhHAH!  So YOUR oilpan doesn't have a drain on the back of the pan either.  I was kinda wondering about that.

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 02 May 2014 at 3:16am
2a #40500
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Daniel_Buck Daniel_Buck wrote:

Hah, I never itemize how much I spend on my jeeps, that's a bad idea   LOL

Good luck on the swap!  :-)

AhHAH!  So YOUR oilpan doesn't have a drain on the back of the pan either.  I was kinda wondering about that.

Hi Daniel,

I was unsure of how to install it since it can be installed either way.  I actually looked at your pictures to see how you oriented the pan on your engine. :)

You are correct about listing expenses...for some reason I am listing them out on this project...I usually don't either. :)
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 8:46pm
I tried bolting mine on the other way, but the holes didn't QUITE line up, it was real close, but not quite perfect on either the front, or the back, I forget which now.  

So instead of going through and reaming or drilling out the holes, I figured I'd just put it on the other way.   If changing the oil becomes difficult because of this, then I'll probably remove it and drill out the holes a bit, then put it back in flipped around.
2a #40500
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 1:46pm
Everything unbolted and ready to pull engine.
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 3:06pm
Don't forget the speedometer cable on the transfer case, That was the one thing I forgot to un connect, and I bent it real bad.  haha!
2a #40500
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 3:19pm
Hi Daniel,

I unbolted the transmission at the bell housing...I was not planning to pull the trans and transfer case....
I did remember the engine stay cable though! :)
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 3:36pm
Ah, yea that would work!  

I took my transmission and transfer case out to have them looked at, since the gears were grinding alot (synchro rings were smooth!)

And you know what, I think that's one thing I never put back in, the stay cable.  Thanks for reminding me, I'll see if I can get that back under there   LOL
2a #40500
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 3:39pm
Mine are in good shape...they just leak...but it's a Jeep...they ALL leak.

No grinding, no popping out of gear etc. I could always yank them out next winter if need be.

Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>