Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Last night's dream

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last night's dream
    Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 5:14pm
This actually happened last night...

While asleep I was dreaming about taking my 3A for it's inaugural drive.  I slowly drove it out of the garage and started down the street,  listening for squeaks and such.  As I start the first shift, I thought it was a little rough, but continued slowly.  As I start to speed up, the transmission is a little noisy and shifting becomes more difficult.....

Then I realize I didn't put oil in the brand new transmission.   Then I wake up, furious at myself for such a glaring mistake.  I couldn't fall back asleep for 30 minutes. Too funny.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 5:28pm
Not so funny. I had a customer when I owned my driveline shop that brought in a Clark 5-speed transmission to replace a bearing and syncronizer assembly. I finished the work for him and he picked up the transmission that he was going to install in his shop. That afternoon he brought it back and I was fearful that I had done something wrong. The customer confessed that he had forgot to put oil in the transmission before he drove it and wondered whether it was worth salvaging...

...pretty much toast. We found a used transmission and I went through it and replaced a couple of bearings. He didn't forget to put oil in it the next time. Kind of an expensive lesson.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2020 at 5:59pm
dream? ---> nightmare!
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2020 at 1:31pm
There is a reason me and my buddies started putting a piece of masking tape over the ignition switch and oil cap with the word "Oil?" in bold black marker. 

Back in high school in the heat of excitement at having everything hooked up we fired up a freshly built Ford Flathead without any oil. Those things make a lot of disturbing noise without oil so it got shut down right away, but the mistake cost us some re-work.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2020 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Pope891 Pope891 wrote:

Then I realize I didn't put oil in the brand new transmission.   Then I wake up, furious at myself for such a glaring mistake.  I couldn't fall back asleep for 30 minutes. Too funny.

So once you were back asleep, did you put the oil in the tranny?  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply