Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Late 2A frame change numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late 2A frame change numbers
    Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:11am
Has anybody ever come up with a number range for the change from the gusseted front bumpers to the riveted front bumpers? I've got a '48, serial number 2188xx, body number 212705, engine number J246346. It has the late style frame. Obviously, the bumper is not original.                                          

Edited by Hamhog - 28 May 2018 at 8:13am
Dave
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:13am

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:54am
Hey Hamhog, My father bought my jeep when it was 1 yr. old, no frame change and I have the newer frame on serial no. 208783 motor no. 238065. Which is not the same as the list from russnj link which shows newer style after no.215648....something don't jive. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 12:53pm
Thanks, Russ. I knew I’d seen it somewhere. 

Joe, you gotta post pics. I’m curious. I’d love to see it.
Dave
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:07pm
I believe the frame change was after 214,XXX.... Mine is 224,xxx.... I find your engine s/n interesting!, if it's correct it changes the theory of 10,000 past chassis number.... The late 2A has several distinct differences from the earlier style, look at the inside of your passenger side Fender, there will be a factory dimple there so it clears the battery tray....

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:31pm
Lee, 

I think the spread between engine and serial number got wider as the years went on. I was looking at the database info and there are a few others that are similar to the numbers mine has. 
Dave
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:47pm
FWIW, my '48 is serial 217528, motor is J277264. That seems a stretch to be the original motor. I've assumed it was a swap from a '49. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Hamhog Hamhog wrote:

Lee, 

I think the spread between engine and serial number got wider as the years went on. I was looking at the database info and there are a few others that are similar to the numbers mine has. 

I understand that, but it seemed most thought it to be in the 10,000 range, obviously it's far greater than that ...... Mine had a replacement engine so I have no idea what it had originally, I built a fresh motor last year that was in the 238,xxx range, hi s/n blocks seem hard to find in my A/O, LOL... Bob Westermans book has much info on late 2A's, very interesting!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 5:11pm
This is a pic from last year, showing the newer style frame, serial no.208783 One pcs formed 10ga(early style has 12ga channel with reinforcement straps spot welded on), shorter trans crossmember doesn't extend past the frame, diff MC, bellcrank, bumper mounts and horn button. I'll post the original title if you want to see it, like I said been in family possession since 1yr old......no frame change I know of Joe W    the channel bumper just unbolts.

Edited by wadoyado - 28 May 2018 at 5:17pm
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2020 at 12:42pm
Here’s another difference that I noticed last night. The bell crank bolt is still 7/8” and has the indent for the safety bolt to lock it in place, but this later bracket is a compression fitting so the cross-bolt doesn’t actually hold the bell crank in place if the nut were to come loose.

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply