Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaf spring angle shims?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrPop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaf spring angle shims?
    Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 2:30am
At the point in the project where I need some leaf spring angle shims for the rear axle. D44 rear axle is in, HD Rancho springs are on.  Swapped in the TH350 auto trans with the Novak adapter to the large bore D18, and have it ready to measure for driveshaft lengths.  Due to the short rear shaft, going to have to go with a double cardon joint shaft from Tom Woods.  They want the rear axle pinion to be pointed up as close to the D18 rear yoke as I can get it.

Is there anywhere that makes / sells leaf spring shims for these older Jeeps?  I can only find 2.5" wide shims at the usual places I know of.  These are supposed to be 2" wide springs, but the springs on my CJ2A actually measure about 1.75" wide.
If no one makes them, I'll just have to get a pair of 2.5" wide shims and cut them down, I guess.
Thanks for any info if anyone knows where to get some.
1946 CJ2A powered by Chevy 350
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 2:34am
My Rancho springs came with angle shims.
RWILLYS (Space R)
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 2:37am
You can have narow shims custom made. 
Figure what angle you want them at.
Then contact Mcruff (Mike Ruffin) a long time member on the  ECJ5 forum.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 3:05pm
Be careful of the angle of your shims. I used the ones from Holbrook and they lowered the grease level in my differential, which took out my rear pinion bearing. Ask me about the whole story at the Willys reunion.

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
DrPop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrPop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 7:26pm
Thanks for all the replies.  Does he have a contact info on this board as well, or should I join that group to find him?

Fltfndr, sorry to hear about your rear pinion bearing going out! Ouch  I guess I just have to shim it a bit so the angle is less than what it is now, hopefully not so much as to have those kind of problems!
Any idea what angle the Holbrook shims were?  I'd like to stay under that much if possible, then.

Thanks guys!  The project is (finally) moving forward again.
1946 CJ2A powered by Chevy 350
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug. 2017 at 8:02pm
The cast aluminum ones eventually crack and spit out. 
This guy makes steel ones. I welded them right to my toyota.

With a tipped up pinion, you can park nose down on the driveway when checking the rear diff fluid level to compensate for the angle.
Or...get fancy pants and move the fill plug up on the cover. (Driveway idea sounds pretty good, eh?)

Edited by stude-a-willys - 16 Aug. 2017 at 8:26pm
Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug. 2017 at 12:16am
I don't believe Mcruff uses this particular forum.

I consider him to be the "go to" man for custom machine shop work for most anything CJ.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2017 at 8:36pm
yes, I would definitely stay away from the aluminum or zinc shims.  I have had two sets break in half at the hole for the centering pin.  I'm going to make a set of steel wedges for mine and be done with it!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 4:33am
Best way to avoid shims breaking is not to use them. Really is not that difficult to cut off the old perches, set rear end at correct angle, and weld on new perches. Most farm stores have the 1 3/4" perches in the trailer supply section for under $10.00. Even if you don't weld, you can get everything ready with the u bolts tightened down, and get it to a welder. Have seen aluminum and steel shims break.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 3:20pm
Right... I happen have a new set of Jeep Dana 44 axle perches I can sell
Zero aftermarket parts

Post Reply Post Reply