Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Springs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaf Spring Reproductions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaf Spring Reproductions
    Posted: 15 Oct. 2013 at 4:19pm
I am in the market for a new set of springs.  I wonder if anyone here has purchased the Omix-Ada/MD Juan spring packs?   If so, what is your impression of them?  Adequate?  I would like to try them, but don't want to be frustrated with the choice if they turn to junk in 6 months.

Some fellas at the 3A have made mention that the Walcks (Made in the USA) springs are very nice, but pretty stiff, and not cheap.  All said, I think I would prefer a softer ride than these seem to offer.

Tim

Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2013 at 4:51pm

I bought mine from Dabella.  Came in labeled as Crown.  He claimed to have good luck with these.  I cant say for sure yet.  Its just a frame axles and springs right now.

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2013 at 7:42pm
Bump
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
LibbieandJesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LibbieandJesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2013 at 9:09pm
I had a badly bent end on one of my spring packs and so I figured I would replace all four.  I have had no trouble with the Crown/Omix springs.  If yours are not bent or broken you could rebuild your spring packs.

Jesse Woltz,

Owner of J & J Jeeps and Off Road Racing.
Iowa's premier Jeep and 4x4 shop.

1948 CJ2A L134 # 188387
1973 AMC Jeep CJ5 304 V8 (Daily Driver, w/snow plow)
1979 AMC Jeep CJ5 304 V8
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 11:08pm
Thanks Jesse.

What did you choose for a leaf count on the fronts and rears?  How long have you been running on them? 

All 4 springs on this one are a disaster.  Mismatched number of broken leafs that are badly sprung.  There is only one original pack left, and it is in the best condition.  They are just not worth the effort to repair.

I am still hoping to hear from others that liked or disliked the Crown/Omix Ada/MD Juan versions that are readily available out there. 

Thanks,

Tim 

Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2013 at 11:19pm
I bought a set from Crown as well. My Jeep is not even close to being done, however I am not displeased. I matched them up against the originals, that were GONE. Same eye to eye measurements. I had no problem installing them.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2013 at 12:17am
HG,

You need to get on that restoration!!    At least get it to a rolling chassis and test those springs for me.

How many leafs...front and rear?

Tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2013 at 12:35am
Believe me or not...been at it since 7:30 this morning. Fronts are 8 ,rears are 9. Still in Haines Garage, counted just for you.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2013 at 12:40am
Tim, Crowns on my 2A, no issues. You may not believe me but I have a decent set of used springs and a set of M-38 springs if your interested

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
LibbieandJesse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LibbieandJesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2013 at 1:04pm
I have three used packs from my '48 that might be just what you need to make a set.  I will look them over and send a picture if you would like?

All the spring pack I have are five leaves.  Old and new, the softer five leaf pack.  Not sure if this is an original combo but they sure ride and flex well.

Jesse
Jesse Woltz,

Owner of J & J Jeeps and Off Road Racing.
Iowa's premier Jeep and 4x4 shop.

1948 CJ2A L134 # 188387
1973 AMC Jeep CJ5 304 V8 (Daily Driver, w/snow plow)
1979 AMC Jeep CJ5 304 V8
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2013 at 3:48pm
Jesse, Lee,
I appreciate the offers, but I think I've decided to give the reproductions a try.  This restore has been a real battle of wills.  The Willys wants to stay a piece of *$^%(.   And I want the Willys to be transformed.  Every once in a while, I have to treat myself with something easy. 

I will report back the goods and bads when I get this one running.

Tim

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 18 Oct. 2013 at 3:51pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct. 2013 at 11:38pm
Tim, good choice, old springs are a PIA.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Jeff View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2013 at 12:48am
I replaced my springs with aftermarket ones about ten years ago - they ended up changing the front end dynamics so much that I had the death wobble - new king pins solved that problem
Jeff
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2013 at 1:17am
GIVE  4X4.COM A SHOT ..USED THEM MORE THAN ONCE ON LEAF SPRING REPLACEMENTS
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2013 at 2:50am
Why did this thread get moved from General discussion...Its a Great Topic! Angry... Springs that are worn out should be replaced, and no your springs from 60 plus years ago are not in good shape!!!! Re-banded or not. OHHH Here it comesOuch... We all need to know whom has the STUFF! LOLWink
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Haines Garage Haines Garage wrote:

Why did this thread get moved from General discussion...Its a Great Topic! Angry...  . . . .
The value of a topic has NO bearing on where it belongs in the set of forums here.  There are some very good topics that have nothing to do with CJ-2As or even Jeeps that are correctly in the Off-Topic forum.

The thread was moved to the Product Review forum because it began as a request for opinions on Omix-Ada/MD Juan springs after which members began offering their opinions about replacement springs from several sources.  Sounds a lot like product review to me.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
47&62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47&62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2014 at 4:17am
So I just noticed that my front spring is broken on the end that bolts to the frame. This could have been broken since I bought the jeep last year. The only thing that has held it together is the military wrap...and that is a good thing as I would not have wanted it to break and be swinging back and forth only held to the frame by the shackle.
I asked the store about the Crown springs and the sales person said they are not the military warp so I am now looking at the OMIX-ADA which are said to have the military wrap. Well worth the extra $10 each over the Crown for the safety factor.
It has been a while since some of you had purchased new springs and wonder what your comments are now some time has passed.
47 CJ2a, 49 Willys wagon, 62 cj5
VE7EWS
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2014 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by 47&62 47&62 wrote:

It has been a while since some of you had purchased new springs and wonder what your comments are now some time has passed.

I have driven this chassis as is, but I'm not at a point where I can give the springs a fair assessment. With no weight on the thing, they feel stiff.  I still have a few months to go before it's all back together.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>