Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking Carb Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking Carb Issues
    Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 9:28pm
Hi all!

I have a stock cj2a. mechanical fuel pump and all

it came with the carter WO carb
it started leaking out of the throttle/butterfly shaft so i bought a SOLEX stock rebilt carb from SUMMIT.... it also leaks out of the main throttle shaft!!

so... is this a common issue?

it almost seems like the carb needs a heat shield, because the get hot, and the gas leaks out under pressure......... puzzling
summit is sending me another carb right now to try.

thoughts or suggestions?

thanks!
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 9:34pm
You are using the insulated base gasket right?
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2019 at 11:36pm
  The WO probably had a needle/seat issue, dirt in it, worn, etc and was flooding. The Solex, which can’t handle the fuel pressure provided by the stock pump, is also flooding. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 12:40am
Send the WO to Scoutpilot or Joe Jennings for a complete rebuild. You'll be amazed at how well it will runs after that. Make a Christmas decoration out of the solex LOL
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
47-old-red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:34am
i dont have an insulated base gasket
the one that was on there is too thick for the solex

how can the stock fuel pump be putting out too much pressure? thats crazy

it starts great, runs great, drives great.... but when i park it, it starts burbeling out gas as if its suddenly over pressured. even though its off.....

have any of you had this issue before?
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:47am
Check the pressure coming from the fuel pump.  There are shims that can be put between the pump and the block to reduce the pressure from the pump.  I understand that the Cj2a did not come with shims between the block and the pump from the factory.  But I have removed pumps from engines with shims so perhaps it is something to check perhaps, some pumps have different lever arms.

Edited by Stev - 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:50am
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:59am
quote:Send the WO to Scoutpilot or Joe Jennings for a complete rebuild.

More info please on these guys, I have a spare WO that I'd like to get rebuilt.

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 2:35am
Originally posted by 47-old-red 47-old-red wrote:

i dont have an insulated base gasket
the one that was on there is too thick for the solex

how can the stock fuel pump be putting out too much pressure? thats crazy

it starts great, runs great, drives great.... but when i park it, it starts burbeling out gas as if its suddenly over pressured. even though its off.....

have any of you had this issue before?

"That's crazy"

OK, fine, don't take my word for it. You've been here 4 hours and 55 minutes, I've only been here 14 years. I Don't know nothin'. Figure it out yourself.

It's "burbeling out" gas because it IS over pressured.

"have any of you had this issue before?" 

Yes, we have, many of us, and I speak from experience.

BW

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 2:40am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Check the pressure coming from the fuel pump.  There are shims that can be put between the pump and the block to reduce the pressure from the pump.  I understand that the Cj2a did not come with shims between the block and the pump from the factory.  But I have removed pumps from engines with shims so perhaps it is something to check perhaps, some pumps have different lever arms.

The shim between the pump and the block does NOT reduce pressure from the pump. Pressure is controlled by the diaphragm return spring, which actually does the pumping. The shim or spacer will only reduce the pump's volume.  BW

47-old-red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 2:58am
ok cool thanks

looks like its a common issue that the fuel pump is overkill for this little motor lol
its just crazy to me that that is common.... youd think theyd check that before it leaves the factory LOL

how did you solve it?
can you suggest a fuel pressure regulator i should get? or something ?

im thinking........

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3033b/overview/

Edited by 47-old-red - 06 Nov. 2019 at 3:18am
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 3:31am
Don’t understand why you say it’s a “common issue” the fuel pump is overkill for the engine.  Quite a few of those engines have been runnin fine with stock fuel pumps and carbs for decades.  You changed the carb and didn’t use the original insulated gasket?  Not sure what original carb problem was. Probably age—afloat needle not seating etc. When fuel gets hot like after you turn off the engine, the fuel expands and has to go somewhere. And like I said— the factory did a pretty good job of figuring out fuel pump pressure etc as hundred of thousands of those little engines have run well for decades
Mike in AZ
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 3:43am
Originally posted by 47-old-red 47-old-red wrote:

ok cool thanks

looks like its a common issue that the fuel pump is overkill for this little motor lol
its just crazy to me that that is common.... youd think theyd check that before it leaves the factory LOL

how did you solve it?
can you suggest a fuel pressure regulator i should get? or something ?

im thinking........

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3033b/overview/

Ok....
If I can “correctly” recall....(I don’t have the books in front of me at the moment.)
The stock design mechanical fuel pump in good operating condition, produces around 2 to 3 pounds of fuel pressure, which is acceptable and within the operational limits of the Carter WO. Due to differences of design, the Solex doesn’t like higher fuel pressure than 1/2 to 1 psi. You can use a fuel pressure regulator to help with that issue. Some Solex carb will run just fine without one, some won’t. Like most here, I’ve been down the Solex road before, will they work? Will your Jeep run? Yes, but in my experience, having your wo rebuilt will net you better results without having to re-engineer other stuff to enable the Solex to operate as intended. Your and others mileage may vary. 

Edited by gmcjr - 06 Nov. 2019 at 3:46am
Gary

51 CJ-3A
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 3:47am
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

quote:Send the WO to Scoutpilot or Joe Jennings for a complete rebuild.

More info please on these guys, I have a spare WO that I'd like to get rebuilt.

Google oldjeepcarbs

Not trying to be a jerk, but I can’t post info here...Ouch
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 4:16am
Originally posted by gmcjr gmcjr wrote:

Some Solex carb will run just fine without one, some won’t.

I put a Solex on Ol' Unreliable when it was still reliable in 2000 and that carb worked just fine (better than the WO, in fact) for at least 9 years without a pressure regulator.  Then suddenly, it didn't.  I still have no idea what the cause is.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 12:55pm
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 1:40pm
Post some pictures of your setup. 

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 2:54pm
Sending your carb to Scout Pilot for rebuild is probably the surest cure. He'll rebuid it and actually test run it on a Willys before sending it back. That said, before sending it I would take it apart as Bruce said and check the needle and seat, float, spray carb cleaner thru the jets. Be sure all of the gaskets are good. (it ain't rocket surgery) Trash in the carb is a very common problem on these old vehicles. It probably don't have anything to do with the fuel pump since the jeep was running alright. Be sure you have good inline fuel filters, I run one before the fuel pump. I tried the solex, I could never get it to smooth out and run right, even with an $80 redline regulator.     
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
47 deuce alpha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47 deuce alpha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 3:00pm
Just before the CFCT I changed my fuel filters. The jeep was running fine but pictured is what came out of the filter before the fuel pump. The filter just before the carb was completely clean.
1947 CJ2A 90419
1947 CJ2A 127735
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Kaiser Willys Pickup
Half the distance takes you twice as long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>