Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking Carb Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 4:36pm
im gonna try the fuel pressure reg first.
see if dropping the PSI solves it.
when i disconnected the fuel hose from the carb, it did spurt all over the place..... so yeah. over pressured.
i dont want to open up the carb and mess with the float level unless i absolutely have to
47-old-red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 8:18pm
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 8:42pm
What is your actual fuel pressure in pounds per square inch? Have you put a test gauge on the fuel pump and measured the output pressure? Or can your “calibrated” eye simply convert the distance of fuel spray to pressure and very confidently say, yeah..... over pressured? 

Edited by gmcjr - 06 Nov. 2019 at 8:45pm
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Ducati Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducati Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by gmcjr gmcjr wrote:

What is your actual fuel pressure in pounds per square inch? Have you put a test gauge on the fuel pump and measured the output pressure? Or can your “calibrated” eye simply convert the distance of fuel spray to pressure and very confidently say, yeah..... over pressured? 
           My eyes can't do pressure, but do thousandths of an inch pretty good, and my arm is better than a Snap-On torque wrench!!  Wink

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 12:40am

Originally posted by 47-old-red 47-old-red wrote:

Hi all!

I have a stock cj2a. mechanical fuel pump and all it came with the carter WO carb

it started leaking out of the throttle/butterfly shaft so i bought a SOLEX stock rebuilt carb from SUMMIT.... it also leaks out of the main throttle shaft!!

so... is this a common issue?

it almost seems like the carb needs a heat shield, because the get hot, and the gas leaks out under pressure......... puzzling

summit is sending me another carb right now to try.

thoughts or suggestions?

thanks!

i dont have an insulated base gasket

the one that was on there is too thick for the solex

how can the stock fuel pump be putting out too much pressure? thats crazy

it starts great, runs great, drives great.... but when i park it, it starts burbeling out gas as if its suddenly over pressured. even though its off.....

have any of you had this issue before?

im gonna try the fuel pressure reg first.

see if dropping the PSI solves it.

when i disconnected the fuel hose from the carb, it did spurt all over the place..... so yeah. over pressured.
i dont want to open up the carb and mess with the float level unless i absolutely have to

I’m going to jump in here as a Solex owner.

I think your initial assumption was correct:

it almost seems like the carb needs a heat shield, because the get hot, and the gas leaks out under pressure......... puzzling”

You reinforce this idea when you indicate you do not have an insulator gasket. Furthermore when you reference “when i disconnected the fuel hose from the carb, it did spurt all over the place..... so yeah. over pressured.” In this instance, the engine is off and the residual pressure is in the line which means your needle and seat is doing its job. The fuel bowl is not pressurized and vents to the outside atmosphere.

I do not run a pressure regulator and, as your stated about yours, she runs fine. I do get hard starting after a long drive due to heat soak even though I have an insulating gasket. I suspect that not having an insulator is causing your carb to get hotter more quickly. This is rapidly boiling off the fuel in the bowl and eventually what is in the line as the needle and seat reopen to refill the bowl. This fuel then rapidly boils off too. What you might see as leakage is the fuel boiling out.

I have no problems using the stock insulating gasket. What is the issue with not being able to fit one?

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/fuel/carburetors-kits/carburetor-to-manifold-gasket-fits-41-53-mb-gpw-cj-2a-3a-m38

Micah

1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 12:45am
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

You are using the insulated base gasket right?

Did I not ask this question as soon as the poster started this mess?
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 12:49am
I think he said he wasn’t using the thick(insulated?) gasket because he couldn’t bolt down the solex 

Edited by Michaeltru - 08 Nov. 2019 at 2:20am
Mike in AZ
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 12:49am

You are using the insulated base gasket right?

Did I not ask this question as soon as the poster started this mess?

Rick,
You did. I agree and full credit to you if it solves the problem. I think it got passed over for some reason.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 1:58am
Yes but until the op spends time to learn and understand the fuel delivery system on these simple little beasts all our input is wasted.. Done with it..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2019 at 3:40am
I haven't had it open in a while, but I don't recall any way to adjust float level on a Solex.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2019 at 11:44pm
i resolved it!!

got a new carb and a mr gasket in line pressure reg at 1psi and now its great.

thanks for the suggestion!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47-old-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2020 at 6:31pm
turns out that did NOT fix it.
the carb still floods out gas, from the jets, after i turn it off.

it pools on the main butterfly and runs out the rod onto the intake/exhaust.
im afraid im going to walk away and come back to a car-b-Q fire

HOW CAN I STOP THIS!? =(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12