Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking head stud

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 3:37pm
Bruce's advice on just about anything "jeep" you can take to the bank. The sealant will do no harm.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 4:11pm
  Thanks Bruce,  I just ordered a pack of the tablets for my motor that I just rebuilt.  I don't have any leaks and sealed the studs threads with RTV sealant but you reminded me of reading one time that it is good insurance on these old engines to add the stop leak.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 5:02pm
Ok.  Brief update.  I called the shop that rebuilt the engine and they use Permatex "The Right Stuff" on the studs.  He said it is very common for these to leak and that you can repair them one at a time - as stated by a few of you here.

But I would have to trailer it 25 miles one way to do that. So.....

Under the "Today I Learned" category - I will learn how to pull and reseal a head stud.

Steps I will take - (let me know if I missed something)
  1. Disconnect the battery and drain the coolant
  2. Go to the store and get two shallow 7/16 20 nuts, double-nut the top of the stud, and try to back it out.
  3. Clean out the hole as much as I can with mineral spirits or denatured alcohol
  4. Clean up the stud and put (help me out here) #2 Permatex non-hardening sealer, or Permatex "The Right Stuff" on the threads of the stud and tighten it down.  (The shop said to bottom out those threads and just "get them tight")
  5. Replace the nut and torque to 65 ft lbs
  6. Cool the engine to room temperature (again the shop recommended that) and retorque
  7. Run and cool the engine one more time, then do a final retorque
What did I miss or get wrong?

I am also not opposed to stop-leak.  But since I am still in the "hey let me touch up that engine paint with a sponge brush" mode, and it is a learning opportunity, what the hell?
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Not sure why Bruce's advice about cooling system sealer is being ignored. It requires zero wrench work and will fix the issue and prevent any other studs from leaking. My recent engine rebuild had six leaking studs. Poured in two little tubes of Alumaseal and problem solved. 
Lots of people think cooling system sealers do harm, but I haven't seen it.

ConfusedX2 on Bruce's recommendation.  X2 on my confusion as to why it's being ignored.  Let's take this back to the old adage...

"Work smarter...not harder."Wink

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 5:53pm
OK, I rarely comment on the use of Stop Leak. However it has been asked twice now, so I will comment, at the risk of upsetting folks.

I do not recommend the stuff even for emergency use. My thoughts are fix the problem, do not treat the symptoms.

My experience with this stuff is less then stellar. I have replaced brand new radiators as well as heater cores because they plugged up from the use of Stop Leak. All three of the radiator shops that I used to use did not recommend the use of it.

I had one customer use this stuff as a preventative measure, on three rigs. We had to either re-core or replace all the heater cores & radiators as the radiator shops tried & failed to rod them out. We replaced the brand new hoses as well. The customer said that he got Stop Leak to pay for some of the cost. I doubt that he did, but that is his story.

Obviously my experience is unique & others have had success.

I almost always agree with Bruce on his recommendations. He knows his stuff! This is one area that I disagree with him. I expect that we will agree to disagree.

Again, I was asked twice for this opinion, so if it upsets you, so be it.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Not sure why Bruce's advice about cooling system sealer is being ignored.  
Lots of people think cooling system sealers dobut I haven't seen it.

I agree, I’ve been in heavy equipment repair for over 35 years and have used Bars leak, the so-called horse tablets, black pepper, and a product called “K-Seal”, in systems of 20gallons or more coolant capacity to get a machine through a job, never once have I had a plugged heater core/oil cooler/air cooler. If that’s your issue your using these products more than coolant 😂. The K seal I mentioned is a fantastic product 👍🏿 If you do remove the stud, they are not meant to be screwed into the block tight, if you do that it cocks the stud slightly and when this happens to 15 studs that’s what makes the head very hard to remove.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 6:09pm
Jason, yes that works with the exception of bottoming the studs. They should be set to the correct stud height, not just bottomed out. If one insists on bottoming them out , then where they are unable to get the right stud height with the original studs, longer studs should be used.

Note the lack of threads sticking out above that nut. That is not good. To repeat myself, it is Industry Standard to have one to three threads sticking out above the nut at final torque. Engineers count on that fact when they design for clamping forces. That head nut is under more strain then it should be. It will probably be OK. Yet why risk it, you are resetting the stud anyway so just set the stud height correctly this time.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 7:09pm
  Cpt logger said: “I expect that we will agree to disagree.”

We can do that.Smile BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 7:17pm
That's what men do.... Thumbs Up
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 8:28pm
Get a longer stud?  Then you can bottom the stud and have enough threads above the nut when nut is tightened
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2021 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Cpt logger said: “I expect that we will agree to disagree.”

We can do that.Smile BW

This is exactly the response I expected. Smile
Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 1:38am
I had the exact same problem.  One stud seeped around the threads just like yours.    I used a small bottle of K-Seal.  Problem solved and no adverse effects.  
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2021 at 2:27am
Someone mentioned using black pepper. 

I did that once back in the 80s when I was on a camping trip. My truck radiator sprung a leak caused by a tree branch I ran over on the rough road going to our camp. We were way out in the boonies and didn't have much to work with so I poured a can of black pepper from the chuck box into the radiator.

It did stop the leak and we were able to finish out the week and pull the trailer home. About a week later the truck started running hot and I did indeed have to have the radiator and heater core rodded out and the original leak soldered afterwards.

That was the only time I used black pepper for this sort of thing, it did work as an emergency fix, but I do not recommend it unless it is all you got.

I have used other stop leak products without any problems though.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2021 at 11:54pm
Old stud pulled. But it didn't come easy. As short as it was I couldn't double nut it. Shout out tow www.midwestmilitary.com for cutting a nut I'm half so I could give it a shot though. John also gave me 3 new studs, just in case I have more issues.

I had to buy a stud extractor and it worked great. I got the hole cleaned up and got the new stud in exactly where it needs to go with new thread sealer. I let it sit for a day before I put the nut on and torqued it.

I ran out of time and couldn't get the coolant back in, so I'll start it later this week and see if it worked. 

And this might seem like a dumb question, but everything else I've done so far has required safety wire, lock washers, cotter pins, etc. But these head nuts require none of the above? What is the logic behind that? Is torqued twice enough?

Edited by jgodfrey - 25 Apr. 2021 at 12:30am
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 1:10am
I love permatex products. But the 'right stuff' is the 'wrong stuff' for head studs. Permatex #2 works much better in my opinion.

As for sealants... I use them fairly regularly now, but I once used "Bars Leak".
It looks like rabbit pellets in Maple syrup. NAPA sold be a jar and said just dump it in the radiator.
It glued the thermostat stuck, and when the engine warmed up (OVERHEATED) for a few minutes, in unglued the thermostat till the next cold start. I think Lee saw that one coming. There is a one QUART jar for 50 gallon cooling systems, and a 4 ounce bottle for cars. I dumped in the quart.
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 1:30am
I ended up using Pemitex #2.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 3:43am
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 4:14am
Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QXL4F2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered this for my upcoming L134 rebuild...
Shocked$19.00!

This stuff has been around probably close to 100 years, still works very well, and is recommended by most of the experienced engine builders here:  

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PTW80016?partTypeName=Gasket+Sealer&impressionRank=21&keywordInput=permatex+%232  

It's your money, spend it how you want. Let us know how that works out for you.
BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>