Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking head stud

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Originally posted by dasvis dasvis wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QXL4F2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered this for my upcoming L134 rebuild...
Shocked$19.00!

This stuff has been around probably close to 100 years, still works very well, and is recommended by most of the experienced engine builders here:  

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PTW80016?partTypeName=Gasket+Sealer&impressionRank=21&keywordInput=permatex+%232  

It's your money, spend it how you want. Let us know how that works out for you.
BW

I'm always open to trying new products from proven sources, back when we had our parts store, sales reps would give us sample product to try. We would give these to select customers to use in the field & report back.  Some with success, some not.... 
  One that really stood out in my opinion is Hylomar, a polymer gasket dressing that will withstand fuels & oils. The perfect solution to that carb base gasket that will not seal dry.
 https://hylomar.com/en/universal-blue/

They make a whole range of sealing products...

Anyway, yes, I will report back on success & or failure of this Permatex product.

1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 6:51pm
Because I tend to overanalyze everything, here is a picture of what I used.

There are dozens of options and a million variations.  Throw on top of all of that, the packaging is always changing.

I have not put the nut on yet, so hopefully this is what I should have used.  I am letting it cure. I also plan to use this on some threads in the elbow of my oil filter line.

Thanks
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:49pm
Here's an update. Good news and bad news.

When I start the engine and it warms up, it still bubbles up around the top of the stud, between the nut and thread - until the thermostat opens. Then it stops leaking.

Now what?  Leak fix?

I have done this repair twice with the same result. 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by jgodfrey jgodfrey wrote:

Now what?  

Don’t ask me. BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 5:21pm
 Have you tried stop leak yet?  Might be something other that a stud leak.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:30pm
I think stop leak is my next try.  I was going over this in my head a million times.  I had the engine rebuilt about 3 months ago - waiting to get my frame ready to reinstall it. 

I just remembered that the rebuilder mentioned I had a crack that he said he sees in a lot of these L134's between where the coolant comes down from the thermostat and this stud.  He said it's rarely an issue because that is open all the way from the stud to that opening anyway - and it had likely been like that for 30 years without a problem.  However, could that be causing this?  The threads would be sealed but that crack would still allow coolant to go up along side the threads.  If you look at the picture of the head I posted earlier in this thread you can see there is no evidence of a leak, but you also can't tell if there is a crack.

Anyway.  I guess what I am theorizing, is that there isn't much I can do about that type of leak.

On this last installation of the stud I was very meticulous about the sealant.  There is no way in my mind that it was coming straight up those threads.

So, I am debating trying one more time, or going with the stop leak.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:16pm
  A crack in the head is what I was thinking.  I would try stop leak and if that stops the leak you should be fine. You could keep a look out for good deal on another head and replace it at a convenient time.

Jim
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:22am
The crack I was told about is on the block.  The head tested out perfectly.  Still - same result I guess.
Thanks
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:57am
  I just went out in my shop and looked at a fresh block that is waiting on me to put it back together and the only way coolant could go up around the the stud is for a crack to the stud hole or the gasket not sealing in the area.  If it were mine and no coolant was going any where else other than that stud I would pull that stud back out and clean it real good and coat the stud heavy with RTV to fill the cavity a round the stud. RTV will with stand 500 degrees temperature, seal that area up to the nut and keep it from rusting.
   Jim

jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:11pm
Great information.  Thanks 
Thatdogdonthunt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 9:03am
Ran into this a few years back.  Assuming head, block, and gasket are good, you will need to use thread sealant on the stud.  Always needed if bolts or studs go into a water jacket.  If I remember correctly, teflon did not not hold and had to go to purple Indian Head gasket sealer.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 9:05am
Never use stop leak.  It will plug the radiator and cause more damage when engine overheats.  Maybe in a pinch to get you home, but never as a fix.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:19am
"Never use stop leak" ?

I disagree, as sometimes it is the only solution, and there are good products out there that work.

I have used various forms of it over the years without plugging up the radiator with one exception and that was when I got a hole in a radiator out in the boonies and did not have any other choice than to use a can of black pepper from the cook box. That did get me home, but it did run a little hot until I had the radiator fixed. 

I had a crack in the block on an old Ford tractor. The machine shop I use sold me a product they called "cold weld". It was a green ball of something that I put into the water jacket through the thermostat port. It sealed the crack with no problems and that tractor is still being used twenty years later without leaking or overheating.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:45am
  As I said, every engine I build gets a pair of cooling system seal tablets in the water jacket before the core plugs go in. Been doing this for many years and none of my own personal engines exhibit any tendency to heat, nor have any of my customers ever complained about heating problems. I also do not have comebacks for minor leaks, like head studs weeping. 
  True, some of the old stuff may have caused some problems, like the old Bars Leaks that looked like rabbit pellets in thick brown gravy. The seal tabs that I use are packaged, sold, and recommended by GM. I don’t think they would do that if it was going to cause problems. 
  I’m sure there are a hundred horror stories out there, but I don’t have any, and I’ve been in this business/hobby for a long time. I’ve even used the old Bars Leaks in the past with no problems, no plugging of the heater core or radiator. 
  I can see how coolant can migrate through that block crack that most of us have, past the sealed stud threads and up the stud to the nut. How are you going to stop that? No amount of any thread sealer or RTV crap around the stud is going to do it. I know how to stop it. My engines don’t have that problem. You can listen to me or not, it’s up to you. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:09pm
I completely agree with Bruce. Most engines this old will have a few cracks and worn threads, and it just makes good sense to be proactive about sealing them. 

I have only been working on old cars since around 1966 so my opinion may differ from others based on their experience. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatdogdonthunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:11pm
You are right, I forgot I’ve used some stuff that I think is called liquid glass. Have had limited success. 
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:35pm
Ok.  Here is another update that leads me to Bruce's (and other's) solution.

Short version.  It still leaks.

1st attempt:
Took out the old stud and replaced it with a brand new one (I bought 2 just in case I had more that leaked)
The engine builder used Permatex The Right Stuff, which had a rubbery texture to it but was in place
I used Permatex Thread Sealant 80633 - coating the threads evenly, stopping at the top of the threads.  This held for a couple runs of 30 minutes or so, then the seeping started again.

2nd attempt:
I removed the new stud and the coolant had literally disitegrated the thread sealant.  I could see it but there really wasn't much left.  I thought I was almost to liberal with it, but turns out not.
So I removed that stud (nothing wrong with it) and tried new stud number 2 (mostly because I didn't want to clean up the one I had just pulled out at that moment)
This time I went with Permatex #2 as outline by many earlier in this thread.
The result, however, is the same.  This time when I start it up it starts to seep BEFORE the thermostat opens.  Once that opens, the seeping stops.  So clearly as the coolant in the block warms up and pressure builds, it pushes through.
I have removed stud number 2 and this time the Permatex was a muddy mess.  I had warmed up the engine to drain the oil (separate project), so the block was still at about 100 degrees when I loosened the top nut.  Right now I have the threads in the block cleaned up as much as possible, but I am essentially back to square 1.

Given the situation, how do you recommend getting down to the threads and cleaning the properly?  I will be draining enough coolant so it isn't close to the stud when I reinsert it, but what tool and cleaning solvent works best to ensure my next attempt has the best chance as possible?

This time I will be using Loctite Head Bolt and Water Jacket Sealant suggest by someone in this thread.

I know it is more expensive, but I have it and the reviews seem to give it as good of a shot as anything else I have tried.

Can someone give me a guide on how much of these sealants I am supposed to be using?  Here is what I'm doing.

Coat my finger and run them over the threads, pretty much leveling it out with them as I go.  I stop at the shoulder of the stud where it widens.  Although on the second attempt I took the Permatex #2 slightly higher.  I then slowly thread it into place - one direction - without backing it out.  I have read that some thread it in, the remove it, recoat it, etc.

With all of the debate about stop leak solutions I thought I would add some dialog from the shop that refurbished my 75 year old radiator for this project.  His name is Dave and he owns DL's Radiator and Exhaust in Buffalo, MN.  He is an expert in my book and owns and works on ton's of these old vehicles.  He said, "I am going to tell you an official radiator shop fix.  Put 2 tablespoons of black pepper in your radiator.  It will not harm anything.  The reason most radiator shops might tell you not to so it is because it works.  I have been doing that on my own vehicles for many years.  There are certain situations that require that kind of fix."

I just thought that was interesting.

On a second, and unrelated note, I have one bolt in the oil pan that is dripping oil.  While I have the oil out, what would you all suggest to seal that up?  LocTight? Permatex #2?
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:55pm
Jason, 

I do not recommend black pepper though it will work in an emergency. You have been struggling with this leak for quite some time. The Permatex turning to mud is an indication there is a crack reaching into that hole and allowing hot coolant to work havoc on the sealers you have tried on the threads. 

Maybe the Loctite product will do better, but I think your problem would already have been solved had you just dropped a couple of the sealant tabs into the water jacket as has been recommended by me, and others, but as I said I only have a little more than half a century of experience with old engines, so your opinion may differ.

The oil pan bolt leaking is probably because it was overtightened at some time causing a dimple in the sheetmetal flange. Whenever I have an oil pan or valve cover off I always flatten those areas. If that is the cause of your leak the best way to fix it is to pull the pan and flatten all the areas around the bolts and don't over tighten when putting it back on. 

I have a few pieces of 1/2" steel plate ground to various widths which I clamp into a vice and use as sort of an anvil to flatten the flange by laying it on the piece of steel and lightly tapping it with a body hammer. A clean surface with a light application of gasket sealer and appropriate torque evenly applied and my engines do not leak.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>