Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Learning to Weld?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackForkBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learning to Weld?
    Posted: 28 Jan. 2006 at 10:23am

Hi All:

Time's up! ... I have been procrastinating learning this skill for too long now, and I believe a project of this magnitude (full restoration) prompted me to "break over".

Just a couple of questions:

1. Can I outfit myself for basic frame and body welding for $250-$300?

2. Should I sign up for welding classes at the local vocational school, or are some of the "learn to weld" videos good enough to get started?

As to question #2, I learn basic "hands on" type skills without a lot of difficulty, and therefore thought I might be able to learn from a video ... Comments?

Thanks, Bill

'46 CJ2A #54223

"Montani Semper Liberi"
geoff bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2006 at 1:16pm

Hi Bill,

To answer your first question you only get what you pay for

Most people now use a Mig type welder due to it`s ease of use together with it`s low distortion capabilities.

If possible aim for one with a 250 amp range or as close as possible,that should do for all welding work you may come across on a jeep this will also depend on the mains power you have at home or in the workshop.

A well known brand would be the way to go.

Your second question.

There is no substitute for experience,videos can make it look very simple and can give some basic tips but there is no better way than having a go yourself.

Best to play around with odd scraps of metal of various thicknesses but start off with two plates the same and try glueing them together by altering the settings on the machine see how that affects the weld,after welding try breaking the steel apart,at first you will have great beads of weld and will also find that the weld has either stuck to just one piece.it is a matter of trial an error until you find you have penetrated both pieces of steel without blowing holes in the steel or end up with great beads of weld.

First try just welding two flat pieces together when you have mastered that try two at right angles and so on.

Geoff

46 2a #54088
41 slatgrill Mb,
52 M38#53132 55 M38A1#83015
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2006 at 1:29pm
Videos are helpful but they don't tell you what you are doing wrong and what to do about it.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2006 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by BackForkBill BackForkBill wrote:

Hi All:

Time's up! ... I have been procrastinating learning this skill for too long now, and I believe a project of this magnitude (full restoration) prompted me to "break over".

Just a couple of questions:

1. Can I outfit myself for basic frame and body welding for $250-$300?

If you want to learn oxyacetylene welding, yes. Or just Arc welding. MIG  welding you will be hard pressed to buy the equipment. THat said, I purchased, used, a professional grade Mig welder and spool gun for under $500. If I sold the spool gun I would have had the equipment for your budget range. SO if you look hard, and are prepared to wheel and deal, you might get lucky.  Check every bulliten board in town, the newspaper, and post a wanted ad yourself. And when a deal shows up, jump on it RIGHT AWAY.

2. Should I sign up for welding classes at the local vocational school, or are some of the "learn to weld" videos good enough to get started?

As to question #2, I learn basic "hands on" type skills without a lot of difficulty, and therefore thought I might be able to learn from a video ... Comments?

Can you find another hobbyist who would be willing  to guide you some  in the learning steps? Some folks learn MIG very quickly and with a little help can be excellent welders in a day or two.

I had to go to college to figure out how to oxyacetlylene weld. It took a LOT of practice but once learned, never forgotten. I found that the equipment I had purchased used had problems, and also that I was using improper technique and pressures.

So. there's good to be said for either method. A community college is apt to have better machines and stuff you will never be able to buy yourself, so in th efuture if you have a sticky problem  you might be able to go back and get some help.

Good luck! And get some good leathers and a decent helmet, fer pete's sake!

Oh.. and 99 percent of a good weld is surface preparation. Work on getting stuff to fit, and getting it clean, and the battle will be half won before you fire up the welder!

Thanks, Bill

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2006 at 2:58pm
Go for a brand name. Lincoln, or Miller/Hobart. I bought a Miller 135 and it's supposed to do all the way up to 3/16" steel. If you ever decide to get rid of it brand name's will hold their prices better than anything that came from Harbor Freight. Also get an auto darkening helmet.  It makes welding about 200 times easier and is worth every penny IMO. Once you get the equipment spend some time welding scrap together like geoff said.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2006 at 4:35pm
I second the motion for an auto darkening helmet.....I've never regretted mine. They're becoming quite affordable these days.
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2006 at 7:45pm
I bought my auto darkening helmet off of ebay cheaper that one that I could buy around here.  Classified for 6 different welders and fully adjustable.  Key word classified.  For the type of welding you are doing.  As for the experience GO to a class just a night class.  I know how to weld on oxicedeline and arc, and I am contimplating to go back for certification.  That is after I get done with my electrical contractors licencing  preparation class and will be  going to a refridgeration class. I ended up teaching welding to students befor I was out of high school as an extra corricular and still I feel more comfortable going to class.  After all how will you know what you are doing wrong and how to correct it.  Just my opinion.
Ed
cj2a lefty
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2006 at 8:55pm

classes are the way to go. i just learned how to weld over the last 2 months. my job needs me to be able to weld all kinds of things. i am being paid while im learning. miller is what we use at work. if you look in the back ground of all mt discovery channel shows you see miller welders and miller welding helmets. i just purchased a miller elite helmet w/ the 29 roadster design for use at work and home. it is auto darking and you will not be disapointed w/ it. it only takes once to burn your eyes and w/ a auto darking mask you are much safer. learning from a video could be ok i guess but w/out haveing a experenced welder there to correct your mistakes and help you correct yourself is going to make it a bit harder. welding is alot of fun. i love the smell of burnt metal in the morning. i also love the plasma gun. that is most likely the coolest thing man has ever created. look up a company called Airgas  www.airgas.com  we have an airgas located here in baltimore they supply all those shows from the discovery channel w. their equpt. my helmet cost me 260.00. it usuly goes for 350. it can be adjusted for cutting w/ the plasma gun, tig, mig, stick,... i also can start something and never stop to flip my mask up. that way i can keep moving and never worry about flash burning my eyes. those masks can start at about 50.00 and go way way up.

good luck and have fun. 

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2006 at 4:18pm

Here's a site and I'm sure there are boards under the top names;

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/basicMIG/index.htm

Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
BackForkBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackForkBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2006 at 9:54pm

Thanks for all the great input (and the links) guys ... Good solid info!

This site is tops!

Bill

'46 CJ2A #54223

"Montani Semper Liberi"
 Post Reply Post Reply