Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED headlight exact replacement CJ-2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED headlight exact replacement CJ-2A
    Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 4:42pm
with the ongoing forum traffic regarding LED lights, does anyone know if there are any glass, direct (no modifications), plug and play LED headlights for the 7 inch CJ-2A sealed beam bulb. 

i do not want to cut anything, especially metal, or have to mount out of proper rotation, etc. everything on amazon seems sketchy at best and in need of some form of modification to make it work. 

i am asking for specific experience of knowing something that will work for CJ-2A. if there were changes to the lamp housing during the CJ-2A run, mine is 72586. 

thanks. 
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
jacobm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 3:21pm
Holley makes a line of LED sealed beam replacements, called RetroBright, that are the best I've looked at so far. I haven't seen any in person but they're a good place to start. 

They offer different color temperatures, the one I linked is the "classic white".
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 6:52pm
Those are interesting.....they don't have that somewhat goofy looking dots of LEDs.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 7:58pm
very interesting. thanks for posting.
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 8:49pm
Not LED but Hella makes some real nice H4 headlight replacements.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by jacobm jacobm wrote:

Holley makes a line of LED sealed beam replacements, called RetroBright, that are the best I've looked at so far. I haven't seen any in person but they're a good place to start. 

They offer different color temperatures, the one I linked is the "classic white".

Wow.
$200 for one headlight bulb.
1951 M38
1951 M100
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2022 at 9:21pm
  Yeah. $200 each. And are they DOT approved? It says they meet DOT standards, but are they approved? Like a lot of other things, I think my incandescent sealed beams will be fine. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 12:01am
Oh I would never BUY them, I just thought they were interesting in that they don't look like LEDs!

Just wanted to clear that up....I'm too much of a tightwad for those. When I feel like I'm starting to overdrive my 12v replacements I'll look into something else maybe. LOLLOL

Edited by rocnroll - 28 Apr. 2022 at 10:29am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 1:24am
The Hella's I mentioned are DOT legal with 55-60watt bulbs that they come with in the kit. On Amazon they sell for $93 for the pair w/ bulbs and the replacement bulbs are around $14 each at say NAPA.

Edited by Mark W. - 28 Apr. 2022 at 1:25am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 9:18am
Is there an actual DOT certification process or is it good to just meet the standards? I run into this sometimes with aircraft parts. Some are actually certified by the FAA and others just have to meet the performance guidance. In the world of aircraft, lights are generally the latter. 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 9:28am
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 10:01am
Mark,

did you need to do any modification to install the Hella lights?
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 10:23am
i am not concerned over DOT compliance issues. but the conversation it brings up is entertaining and certainly applicable to some that have interest in this thread. so keep comments coming. 

i do not drive the particular Jeep the application is for on the highway, or at night on secondary roads for that matter. i just want something really bright in the woods and do not want any additional lighting such as light bars, etc. 

but yes, $400.00 for a pair of lights is a bit much. i am also a bit of a lightwad, but am willing to save up to buy really good quality. though the Hellas are not LED, they are a known and respected brand and if they fit without any mods, that puts them on the list. but are they any brighter than a sealed beam halogen? currently i have the bulbs that were on when i got the vehicle. one standard incandescent sealed beam and one halogen. 

Edited by bight - 28 Apr. 2022 at 10:51am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 10:32am
One thing about it, I doubt anyone would enforce a DOT lighting standard on the road. If there is a problem with headlights blinding oncoming traffic, my guess is law enforcement would only write a fix-it ticket to get the lights adjusted (assuming the lights were dimmed when meeting traffic). 
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 10:40am
anybody with thoughts on this? then getting a decent bulb? seems like a lot less than the Hellas? certainly questionable quality here. 

edit: by the time two of these and two bulbs are purchased, it will be in the Hella ballpark. i did not realize (duh, read) that the Hella set Mark refers to is a SET. that means two. 

Edited by bight - 28 Apr. 2022 at 10:50am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 11:29am
To each his own, but the turnoff to me is the 'replace your sealed beams with a newer and more modern looking lamp' part of the description.....that's just personal on my part, I understand some may like the look.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2022 at 12:52pm
I actually prefer dimmer lighting on the road. I figure if anything pops into the circle of light at highway speeds I won’t be able to miss it so I like to preserve my night vision and look beyond the circle. I drive the wife crazy when I drive her car because I turn down the panel lights and the big glass display in the middle so it can just be seen and I frequently drive in the dark with the headlights on dim. I have never used fog lights if it wasn’t foggy. She doesn’t understand how I see the deer and other wildlife that’s out at night and can take action if needed before she sees it. 
jan145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2022 at 4:28pm
when buying a replacement headlight look for a domed lens.
this gives a more classic look

the one on the left is out of my 1991 nissan patrol with a flat lens
The right one came installed in my CJ2a when i bought it
it did not have a pilot light installed then but the hole was there so i sealant glued a fitting with a LED bulb in.
I am going to run a 55w low 100w high beam halogen bulb  in the cj2a
high power bulbs are allot cheaper then LEDs
you just need to make sure your wiring can handle it

you could go for H4 LED bulbs but most have heat sinks on the back that are large.
my 1974 nissan patrol has a similar issue with the headlight sitting tight in a metal cup like the cj2a has.
i used LED H4 bulbs with a braided head sink in the 1974 patrol
they work well and at 160 euro in the Netherlands about half the price of the holly replacement ones , but you still need to buy headlights
Hella is a good headlight but expensive and i think they have a flat lens
this British site had got loads and cheap as well , it's just on the wrong side of the ocean.

the ones i use in my 1974 patrol are for a mini cooper and are domed lens
the ones that are in my cj2a are from Lucas a British brand witch is a good brand and cheaper then Hella
the 7 inch headlights are used in a lot of cars , mini cooper, toyota land cruiser , land rover defender, volkwagen golf mark 1 and 2, nissan patrol, just to name a few.

it all depends on what you're going to use the cj2a for , what style you want and budget 

any way that's my 2 cents , they are euro cents but still i hope they are of any use.

Post Reply Post Reply