Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Left rear brake drags

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote svjohnso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Left rear brake drags
    Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 7:11pm
When I come to a stop, release the brake pedal and continue driving I hear a low humming sound from the rear area. After driving a while I found all the drums were warm except the left rear drum is very hot. The wheel spins but I can hear the shoes slightly dragging. When I spin the wheel and apply the brake, the wheel stops. When I release the brake it drags even more then seems to loosen slightly as I continue to spin the wheel. I backed off the brake adjust eccentrics with no improvement.
Any advise on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.
1946 cj2a
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 7:44pm
Could be a broken brake shoe spring. You'll have to pull the drum to find out.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 8:14pm
Always a possibility of your brake shoes being contaminated. Crawl down there and look at the backing plate for stuff that shouldn't be there.
uncamonkey
BGarth13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGarth13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2018 at 8:28pm
It could be a bad flex hose holding pressure.  Seems like it would cause both rear brakes to drag, but worth checking.
 Post Reply Post Reply