Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let the Fun Begin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let the Fun Begin
    Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 3:20am
For years I drove by this old Willys tucked back in a field under a tree. I finally decided it was time to give it some life. All the locals told me to stay away. The old farmer would never let it go. But I couldn't let it go. I had to get a closer look. So I dropped by to introduce myself and enjoyed a two-hour visit and tour of the dozens of old cars and trucks he had accumulated over the years. We finally came upon Willy. It was quite a sight. But I was eager to get my hands on it. And that old farmer turned out to be a mighty fine gentleman. He was able to part with it. For a small fee! Let the fun begin...
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 3:33am
Very nice looking! Does it run?
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 3:35am
That Willys has class! I like it.   get it running and the brakes going and drive it back to the old guy and take him for a ride!  Good luck on the project.
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 3:36am
That don't look so bad. Did ya get a title? TELL US MORE
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 3:38am
Congratulations! Nice find.
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 3:58am
That's a great looking jeep congrats.
I appreciate the story of your new jeep.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 10:14am
I like it!

That looks like a barn find, not a field find...

Edited by mbullism - 25 Jan. 2016 at 10:16am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
blc3128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blc3128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 1:59pm
Very nice!
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 2:35pm
Very Nice... You're going to have a blast with it. Enjoy!!
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2016 at 9:43pm
I like it! Keep us updated with photos on the status.

Rick
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2016 at 12:51am
Looks like the twin brother of my 46 when I first got it. Same faded red paint, same oil leaks (I assume that is what the oildri is for and not the cat's litter box), same problems with tub sides. Mine didn't have hub locks and still doesn't.
Nice find. What is the serial number so you can figure out what year it is?  Looks to be a 46 or early 47 possibly.

Keep us posted. If we aren't working on them we are driving them. We live vicariously through those who are Jeepin' and wrenchin'...   
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2016 at 9:17am
I'm a little slow getting photos loaded. I bought the Jeep in late Aug. 2013. It's a 1947 #88420, came with a good title & runs now. I'll try to get more pictures & story soon.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2016 at 5:30am

My build starts pretty much like everyone else's build. The engine leaked, transfer case leaked, transmission leaked, differentials, hoses, gas tank, & tires all leaked. One of the previous owners must have got a welder for Christmas. If something broke no problem weld it. Broken bolt, no problem weld the two parts together.Bumper welded to frame, Fenders to the tub,tub to the frame and so on. Bubba wants a lift kit , no problem made his own.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2016 at 6:21am

Hey, a guy on Craig's list has a frame for a "48. Lets get that one. Only one catch. I have to take all of his parts that he doesn't want anymore. I don't think I need them, but he said" You never know what you might need". I coming home with, frame,engine,radiator, transmission, transfer case,with E-brake,windshield frame w/wiper motor, misc. hoods, fenders, tires & wheels. Guess what? Traded body parts for other parts, used block,transmission & transfer case cases, E-brake,radiator & used wiper motor for a core.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2016 at 8:22am

OK, Got some parts, lets have some fun. The P.O. says "it runs". We will come to have a difference of opinion of what "it runs" means.The last time he had it running it died while driving it through a creek. He thought it needs a carb. so he bought a new Solex carb for it.I could turn the engine over by hand, it had compression & spark, but wouldn't start. I've rebuilt the transmission & transfer case, installed E-brake assembly(mine was missing) using the outer cases from that pile of parts I bought. Man that guy was right! Got the rolling chassis completed. The engine will have to wait for now. Because , guess what ? We're moving! Buy new tub, assemble as much as possible, pack & move.

47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2016 at 8:34am
Don't move out of state in the middle of a project.I had a good Kansas title now I need a title for Missouri. Missouri wants to do an ID OD inspection.I asked the DMV guy if I could just bring the box in that has the VIN & speedometer in it. They didn't think that was funny.Here is what I took them.No problem , got new title. Let the fun begin again.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2016 at 8:46am
Back to work. Off to primer & paint

47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2016 at 8:53am
The BIG day, Easter 2015. The jeep is assembled & coming out of the garage for the first time under its own power.Our 1st grandchild will be turning one in a few weeks.So start them out young.I painted a pedal car to match grandpa's jeep. Hey, that little guy looks like me.

Edited by 47heater - 07 Feb. 2016 at 4:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>