Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let's see your paint jobs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's see your paint jobs!
    Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 3:36pm
I have been tossed for awhile on what color to paint my frame up restore.I have looked at paint swatches untill I'm color blind,so that's no longer an option.Here is my request,I would like to see pics of everyone's restored and painted jeeps with the paint color or code of the paint.I know I could scan the many pages and pics that are scattered across the forum,but I think putting them all together may be helpful to more than just me.I also don't care what color ( original or non original) to me there is nothing better than seeing a completed jeep with its owners preferred paint color.So how about it folks?if its not against the rules,let's see your painted flattys all in one easy to find post.
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 4:25pm
Ok. Here is Wilbur. It was originally yellow but it was a few shades lighter. I painted it in my company color. Its called Caterpillar tractor company Old highway Yellow...but i have it darkened just a little which gives it just a little bit more of a richer golden hue. I have the mixing formula for it since its not a standard color code having been tinted darker.

So many projects and so little time.
Hugh Hedrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 5:55pm
Tru value hardware paint in a can. color is called Reed.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 6:04pm
Got the paint for this from peter debella jeep parts in new york. its called the long olive drab line.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 7:47pm
You can also click on the green jeep in the upper left corner of the forum page and watch the slide show on the Home Page of the members jeeps that have been posted.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 8:14pm
Here's "pretty close" version of Potomac Gray. There are others around who have nailed this color precisely and I'm sure they'd be willing to share their secret formula.

Edited by Ryan_M - 23 Dec. 2013 at 8:16pm
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 8:26pm

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 10:36pm
our jeep is the first on the slide show when you first come on the page. it is pained I.H. red.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
the 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2013 at 11:42pm
Harvest tan / Sunset red

She is a little dusty from the days drive but my info is below.

The body is sprayed in DuPonts Nason line of paint. The code is from GM and it is 113E
The rims are sprayed the same and the code is from Chrysler and it is PL4
I did hours of paint chip matching to my original colors, and I used the DuPont Spectra Master paint reading camera to give me the modern paint codes. So our mixing computer could could give me the proper formula. I also talked to our Dupont Rep. and they came up with the same info.

46 CJ2A (45150) - "My Other Girl"
48 CJ2A (169196)
Bantam T3-C (913), M100
NDFCC - Pres.
--------------------
And a bunch of Farmall tractors.
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 1:02am
Very nice and very helpful,plus it might just help inspire.post them if you got them,thanks!
redwilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 3:01am
We'll, after chasing the elusive "LUZON" red for over two years and finally finding a custom vintage paint shop in California that goes through all the research to match colors for Barrett Jackson , I had them paint a card for me ($40.00) for a 4x6 card, then had the local ppg shoot a match I then had a base clear shot on it. I'm really happy with the color,
But as with all booth guys they have snuffed so many fumes you really cannot trust their ppg numbers. Will get them from him soon.
"ANYONE LIKE THIS COLOR?
Rule #1....Don't Ever take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time on the same night.....
robplumber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robplumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 3:02am
Ryan that is a beautiful ride. I love the color. Looks great. 
1953 cj3a modified
1947 cj2a stock and beautiful
1998 xj lifted
1999 xj stock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 3:20am
That is a nice color. reminds of a 79 cj5 my dad had.
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Hedrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 3:26pm
Its hard for me to believe that only seven members have paint on their jeeps!
Mb modified 47 cj2a
Nice original 47 cj2a
Basket case 48 cj2a
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 3:53pm
That's because a lot of us doesn't  has them finished yet. Give us a little time it has only been 7 years, but almost have it finished LOL.

JIM

47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Hugh Hedrick Hugh Hedrick wrote:

Its hard for me to believe that only seven members have paint on their jeeps!

I hope more post,my wife is pressing me to paint mine Kawasaki green green unless I find something else.
Hud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 4:02pm
This is as close as I could get to the original green.

With the extension.
"Go For Broke"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2013 at 4:16pm
The one in my avatar is light Ford tractor gray and Rustoleum white.  Been without shop air since the early part of the millennium so no painting going on. Gotta do something about that SOON.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>