Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liability insurance for my cj2aanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liability insurance for my cj2aanks
    Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 10:56pm
having trouble finding a cheep policy for my Jeep that is registered and licensed as an antique in Texas. Anyone have any suggestions? Just in the process of getting it running again. Will only be used in our neighborhood and on my hunting lease. Thanks
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 11:26pm
  I have Hagerty and find them real reasonable and using their web site is another big plus. They do require a picture of the vehicle and the vehicle must be kept in a building when not in use.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2018 at 11:31pm
I went through Gieco. The have a classic car division called Assurant. It was a little bit of a pain to get done. But they offered WAY better coverage than the other big names for about $75 more a year. My policy was $237 annual with an agreed upon value of 20K.
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 2:45am
Haggerty for me. Much cheaper than USAA.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 3:22am
I have American Family.  I'm limited to something like 7500 miles per year.  It's around $100 annually, as part of my home/other Jeep insurance package. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Tex swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 3:27am
guys thanks for your replys, but I am really only looking for liability coverage on a 48 that is licensed and titled as an antique which greatly restricts how it is used. Don’t have to even get it inspected the plates are good for 5 years at a time. Just trying to find some type of special liability coverage for this type of vehicle. Thanks 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 3:51am
I doubt if you'll only be able to get liability for your situation.  My AmFam coverage is comprehensive; that's the way the package comes.
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 3:58am
We have USAA on the house and all autos.  Easy to deal with, but then we have not had a claim.
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2018 at 4:15am
  I also was interested in liability only insurance and found Hagerty which included comprehensive which was still a lot cheaper,  about 75% cheaper than my primary insurance co. with libility coverage   Taylor is another insurance co. that insures vintage vehicles that is real reasonable, but they don't have web site service other than a download application.

Jim
Tex swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 1:44am
wee Willy, do you happen to recall about what the liability coverage cost for a year? That is really all I would like to have on this Jeep. 
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 3:04am
I just went through this on mine. Hagerty was the cheapest by far. I pay about 160 per year.

I had to pay the regular vehicle premium of $320 in order to get it insured. I then had 60 days to get it registered as an antique with the state. Once registered with the historic plate, they refunded the difference.

Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 3:32am
Using Berkley Classics here in South Dakota. $100.00/year for my 1949 CJ3A. Added my 1962 Willys Wagon a few weeks ago and Bill went up $88.00
I haven’t crunched the numbers yet but I think if I have enough Jeeps they may start paying me!🤨🤨🤨
RWILLYS (Space R)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 3:47am
Originally posted by Rick R Rick R wrote:

I haven’t crunched the numbers yet but I think if I have enough Jeeps they may start paying me!

I think you're just coming up with reasons to get more Jeeps.  It's an idea of which I strongly approve!  Thumbs Up
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 3:58am
Well, I do have two more 2a’s in the shop I’d like to have running before next July.  Oilleaker says I’ve got it bad, what ever that means.🤨
RWILLYS (Space R)
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 4:13am
Originally posted by Tex swede Tex swede wrote:

wee Willy, do you happen to recall about what the liability coverage cost for a year? That is really all I would like to have on this Jeep. 

It was around 350.00 a year for liability that is why I went with Hagerty.  I only drive my jeep a few hundred miles a year and hated paying that much.  One thing I use to do to help a little was insure it in late spring and cancel it in late fall, even doing it that way I was still paying almost 30.00 a month.

Jim
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 5:03am
I have farmers, it’s under a classic or something like that. I have four jeeps on the policy and it’s under $40 a month. There is a mileage limit on it, but it’s plus or minus 1000 miles. 
Jay
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 6:02am
Keep looking. I called and for my '61 3B. At a combined rate, $51.00 for a 6 month policy with State Farm.
uncamonkey
Tex swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tex swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2018 at 1:27pm
guys, after doing some more on line research with the state of Texas, I found out about using an affidavit relating to mandatory liability insurance exemption for antique vehicles. It’s # sr-2. Does anyone have any experience with using this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>