Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Life is GOOD!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Life is GOOD!
    Posted: 25 Apr. 2009 at 11:05pm
I had SO MUCH FUN today that I want to share it with y'all!

It was 80° today so I decided to take a break from sewing, parts fixtures  and fasteners to spend the day in my jeeps.  First I drove to town in Gen'l Willys.  I had to go to the parts store because I want to get Arizona ready for the reunion.  The General sported a 2 piece top and cruised at a steady 35mph.
I took this picture with my phone so it is not as clear as I would like it to be, but here is the General parked outside of the auto parts store, while I was in there, I was asked several questions like, "What year is it?", "What unit did it belong to?" "Is that George Patton's jeep?".  Honestly, I could have told them anything that I wanted and they would have believed meLOLLOLLOL.  While I was in the store, I thought one guys was going to sit in it!!  I tell you that I was VERY HAPPY today!!!  I had so much fun cruising through the country, and cruising though town.  I was in NO hurry.  I still want to fix some oil leaks and put the General back to column shift but really I can't complain.  I have this machine basically right where I want it to be.  I got a cool jeep with a cool top and bows.  What you see here is what I had imagined my jeep to look like when I bought it 1 year ago.  Muy feliz!!!  Anyway.... on with the story .....

I took one of Arizona's tires to have it fixed and came back home.  Arizona has not moved since I parked here last fall when I first bought her so I decided to take her for a spin.
I have a field in my back yard.  Not exactly the the most treacherous off road territory, but since Arizona has NO BRAKES I don't want to push it. 

Arizona is supposed to be a "project jeep" but put some brakes on this baby and OH YEAH!!

Let's get a family photo!

Gen'l Willys gets most of the attention so he does not mind if I sit in Arizona for this photo.

Trudy is smilin' but she thinks I'm NUTS!!

Nobody around me has a flat fendered jeep.  I keep telling her that I need two so that I can have someone to go riding with!!LOLLOLLOL

Yeah, Mrs. Top Bows likes'em too. (As long as they run)

So why did I write all this stuff?  I just had a great day and I wanted to share it.  I do have some advise.  If you only have one jeep, that is a project, and you have the means to buy another one, I would SERIOUSLY recommend doing so.  It does not have to be much of a jeep.  It may use oil like crazy and have holes in it.  Just DRIVE it!  If you have to, do a Scott R. and just give it a rattle can paint job.  Then DRIVE!  If you do not have the means for a second, get your project in a running condition.  Then drive it when you can and take it down to do resto work in the fall and winter.  You do NOT want to miss this summer!  Maybe a motorcycle would help but nothing beats driving down a country road doing 35mph!!TongueTongueTongue

Happy jeepin!

Edited by jpet - 25 Apr. 2009 at 11:35pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2009 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

. . . . Trudy is smilin' but she thinks I'm NUTS!! . . . . Just DRIVE it!  . . . .
So what do you think she should believe?  Wink

Yep, good advice to just drive 'em !
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2009 at 11:48pm
Neat story Jeff, sounds like fun, it barely got out of the 40's here today. I took it for a drive, but had to stop when my nose started dripping too bad.LOL. I agree, working on them is fun, but not nearly as much fun as driving them. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2009 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

. . . . I agree, working on them is fun, but not nearly as much fun as driving them. 
That's why so little has happened to mine!
Sam

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 2:06am
glad to see you FINALLY found...umm errr made time to enjoy them :) 
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 4:33am
Way to go Jeff!  Your feelings are why I still haven't changed out my rear axle that I got in JC...don't want to miss any drive time (and I haven't).   The second jeep thing.....well, I will have to settle for the 1st and second season of Rat Patrol that I got tonight!  Happy Jeepin.
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 1:18pm
I got out and played with mine the last two days, probably will today tooBig smile. I have really enjoyed the warm weather, my wife Rhonda rode with me Friday some and didnt complain too much about the mud I threw on her LOL. Didn't get any pics, was having too much fun.
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 1:54pm
I like the pic. of your wife looking at the two jeeps.  I can just see her thoughts.........Now where can I place the flower pots in them to pretty up the yardLOLLOLLOL
Ed
cj2a lefty
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 1:56pm

I'm really looking forward to driving to the store and getting those same type of questions again. Just need a couple more weeks to wrap up some repairs that were started and warm weather to get here for good.

Not sure when I became the poster child for, give it a slap dash paint job and drive? But I like it. Big smile
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Harriet View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 8:30pm
Today is Drive It Day here, we have jus come back in from our "Come and meet the Hampshire Chapter" open day. We organised a field in the back of a pub to be available for people to drive their classics to, park up and talk to each other.
We were chuffed to nuts - 35 cars turned up!

Here are some of them.

46 CJ2A 14509

50 Jeepster
58 4WD Truck

My Link
I AM the understanding wife!
Anyone seen my marbles?
Always hoisted by my own petard!
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 10:04pm
Jeff, I agree with the point of allways having a Jeep to drive. It takes a long time to complete a restoration...even longer when $$$ is tight. It is easy to see many getting discouraged without having one to play with. My problem is I keep spending my $$ on the ones I'm driving!!!
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by GaryArf GaryArf wrote:

. . . .  My problem is I keep spending my $$ on the ones I'm driving!!!
That's the important part, Gary - having one that you can drive!  Big smile
Sam

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 10:18pm
Sure would be nice to have one to driveCry all this garage work is getting tiring.....Sounds like a great day Jeff........Maybe Low or Tony will bring something I can buy to drive (that's semi-stock, that is) Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2009 at 10:56pm
Drove mine to school and errends most of Friday.  Today my son had two lacrosse games, and we drove it to the games.  I take mine out as much as I can, but it is getting harder and harder to keep up with traffic out here. It used to be "Hey look at that cool Old Jeep!"  Now it is "Get that piece of $hit out of my way!"Cry  Might have to put an overdrive in, but I REALLY dont want to go too much faster in it.

Doug
retiredtr6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredtr6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 1:35am
Jeff;

Great story and pics. Makes me want to get Paps back on the road this week. May have to give up some trout fishing.

Joe(retiredtr6) 
1948 CJ2A 199572
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 3:20am
Jeffy jeff jeff, Im glad to see you are finally enjoying what its all about as you need it. Your hard work here has to have gotten in the way... Glad to see mamma still smiling LOL

Roc..... Big smile
Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 12:02pm
Hi, Jeff!

Really cool story! General Willys is awesome but I love too your "Project Jeep"! Rude but still rolling! Nice!
 This last Sunday I drove my ol´Spanish Willys-Viasa CJ3B and a small kid stands at it with his eyes really open! He was there looking quite interested at the ol´machine, accompanied by his parents and sisters! I told him some info abut the machine and realized to me "Man, not all was lost if there´s still somebody interested in these machines...!"

Jeff, thanks for the story and the pics!
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 8:14pm
Jeff,
That's awesome man.  I wish I could be riding around in mine.  It was running and drivable when I took it apart.  It didn't have brakes either though!  I wish that I could be out riding this summer but I think it will be a long while before I am behind the wheel and driving legally.  I also wish I had the funds to purchase another one to knock around in as well, but there are other things that have to come firts.  Enjoyed the pics.  Thanks for sharing!
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 34>