Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Limey Pie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Limey Pie
    Posted: 03 Apr. 2020 at 4:40pm
Well, I would like your thoughts and input.

I would love to own a CJ2A or MB

I have several options open to me, 

1) I purchase an overpriced rust box:- Not happening
2) I purchase a genuine MB for the price of a deposit on a house:- Not stupid.
3) I build a CJ2A from bits purchased from about the place:- Hmm this appeals to both my joy of building things and "The sickness"
That leads us into sub choices:
A) Buy a Jeep in a box from Taiwanistan. (I have nothing against the Taiwanese when Jeeps are not concerned)
B) Buy an basket case from the US, ship it and restore it
C) Buy an Aqualu tub from the Canadians and source no end of everything to go with.

Let me know what you think. Then I can tell you what I want, subsequently I can tell you why I'm thinking what I'm thinking.

Edited by littlesteve - 10 Apr. 2020 at 9:53am
jpet brought me here.

XJ
KJ CRD x5 (+1 on the way,probably)
YJ about to be butchered & hit with the restoring stick.
TJ
One day I'll have a Willys, be cool like everybody else.
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2020 at 4:52pm
What’s your location?
littlesteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2020 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

What’s your location?

Im in the UK
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2020 at 11:36am
Originally posted by littlesteve littlesteve wrote:

Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

What’s your location?

Im in the UK

I have no clue what shipping would cost. But there are still some reasonably priced drivers here. I would think you'd be miles ahead finding a decent Jeep and shipping it across the pond. 

What's your budget/price point you are seeking? 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2020 at 1:19pm
Shipping for a vehicle is $1500 roughly.
Which is not out of the way, however add cost of crating and transport from seller to wherever to be crated, not to mention the hassle, add 6% import duty, cost of shipping parts as necessary which will be most of them as there is very little in the way of useful over here which will all have shipping and sales tax added on top of import tax added which is a limitless amount.
when its finished add the cost of registering it and having it tested for road rule compliance add $1000. 
It becomes a very complicated affair to buy a fixer upper. 

My problem is that I dont want a stock CJ at the moment, I would want to alter it and I cant bring myself to do that to an original vehicle.

jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2020 at 2:13pm
So my current plan is to build a CJ2 from scratch.
A combination of hard work, old parts and NOS.
Frame will be fabricated in box section or CDS tube, haven't made my mind up yet.
CRD 2.8 motor, 6 spd NSG 370, Atlas 4 spd.
Axles will be fabricated 9"ers.
I want to stretch the wheelbase without it looking weird.
I will fabricate as much as I can with the exception of the windshield frame and grille.

Imagine a combo of a built wheeler crossed with a period correct restoration, only its all brand new so it wont matter if I fold a panel or roll the thing, guilt free CJ ownership.

jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2020 at 4:57am
That sounds impressively ambitious!  Would you need some kind of special title there to make your own vehicle?  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

That sounds impressively ambitious!  Would you need some kind of special title there to make your own vehicle?  

There's several ways of going about it:

I can either:
1) purchase a pink slip and chassis number from the States and register it, grandad rights count so if its sits for ten years i can then register it without having any inspections.
2) I can have it IVA tested which tests it as a single vehicle and would issue a set of "plates" which would effectively make it a new car.
3) I can do it the dodgy way and use the registration off the motor donor vehicle and yeah, run the risk of having it crushed when they find out its not a low mileage Liberty.

I will probably go down the IVA route Anyone wishing to read the notes can view them here

jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 6:18pm
A little light reading.... all 350 pages of it what I can and cannot do.

Its often said that a project can snowball, I believe that this has passed that already and is now at fireball stage.
Just need this virus to jolly well eff off so I can get moving.
I have Jeeps, band saw, folder, guillotine and other random acts of equipment to go fetch 

Edited by littlesteve - 09 Apr. 2020 at 6:26pm
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
oldmansimek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmansimek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 6:32pm

I will throw in a vote for buying something decent from across the pond.  I think that all said and done buying and shipping parts and aftermarket garbage you will be better off buying something decent and paying the shipping, and if you are worried about buying something site unseen over here I am sure many of us on this site would look at something for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 7:32pm
I dont have £15000 for a base or rather I dont want to spend 15k on a base. I'm still not convinced that I could take an original and do what I'm thinking of to it, unless it was a real basket case but then I would be into panels and such. 
Same applies to importing one, the buying is simple. Crating shipping and registration, not so much.

Ive found a Jeep in a crate someone is selling on Ebay for £2500 but its Taiwanesium 
 There are currently 2 GPW's on ebay but the cheapest is £14000. 
 There are no CJ2A's att this time.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 7:39pm
Of course the other fact is I'm slightly twisted and I get a kick out of the "not because I should but because I can" thing

Don't get me wrong. If I wanted to do a restoration then I would be asking you guys very politely to find me a base for the project but I think that will come later.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 9:17pm
There's always that cost vs. doing it yourself question you have to ask. Also, you should spend a bunch of time thinking about what you want to do with it when your done building it. It is quite possible to get a Jeep for free and then spend twice as much to build it as it's worth, and it still doesn't do everything you want it to.  Usually when you buy one that is finished to your satisfaction, the previous owner spent way more than you paid for it. I personally loved putting ours together, but it was not a good financial decision. Especially if I had paid myself $5 an hour for my efforts. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlesteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr. 2020 at 9:57pm
If I go through with building it, it will permanently have my name on the documents. Its not about the time investment or the money to some extent (I'm not made of money, I keep buying Jeeps) but a passion for the vehicle(s) and the skills and the tools required to pull off such a daft idea and maybe just maybe, I may have a story to tell at the end of it all.

Lets face it, if I wanted to make money I should be buying property or something along those lines.

I know what I'm planning wont make sense to a lot of you, I just ask you to bear with whilst I get around to making it happen. 
In the meantime, perhaps I can pay my dues.
jpet brought me here.

XJ
TJ
 Post Reply Post Reply