Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lithium batteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lithium batteries
    Posted: 13 May 2023 at 8:23pm
surely there are some of you with powersport battery needs. anybody have experience with these?:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 9:12pm
I installed a lithium ion battery in my RZR 900 trail 3 years back and zero problems.  Half the size of the stock lead/acid and a third of the weight.  I thought maybe the winch draw on it could maybe make it heat up but that's a non issue.  It also maintains its charge way better than the original.  I don't recall the brand but can dig that information up.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 7:30am
The battery linked is lithium iron phosphate technology. It’s claimed to be safer and more reliable than the lithium ion. Earth X is a brand currently being used on some aircraft. I don’t have any personal experience with lithium iron phosphate myself but people seem pretty happy with it in some of the other forums I follow. 
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 8:49am
One thing you may not want to overlook when switching battery technologies is the charging requirements. I wouldn’t connect any lithium based battery to my 30+ year old NAPA charger or even my 5 year old Schumacher. 
Thisoldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisoldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 12:32pm
I just built a 12 amp hour 12v power box with LiFePo (lithium iron phosphate) and onboard dc to dc charger that accepts 6v input. This lets us run 12v radios and other high draw 12v accessories for epic without having to deal with 110 outlets at night. I’d post pics but that always ends up being a waste of my time 
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:40am
I've been using Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO) cells to power the Electro-Willys for the last 11 years.  If you take care of them they provide great power and they are very stable.  They don't self-discharge like lead-acid batteries do.  Unfortunately, you can damage them by using the wrong battery charger.  I did that by not limiting the maximum voltage on my charger.  That killed one cell and damaged the other 46 cells so they no longer give me full power.  Using a charger that is designed for charging LiFePO batteries is important if you want them to last a long time.  

I also use three 24AH LiFePO batteries to power the trolling motor on my canoe.  Very light weight and yet there is lots of power right up to the point where they are almost completely discharged.  I use a 100 watt solar panel and a charge controller designed for LiFePO charging to keep the three batteries charged up while I cruise around in the canoe.  When I put these away for the winter, I disconnect them from everything, and when I come back to them the next summer they still have a full charge. I've never been able to do that with any deep cycle lead-acid battery that I've used.  I've always had to either put them on a trickle charger or hit them every other month with a regular charger. 

The 24AH batteries have built in battery management systems (BMS).  I really like having them.  That helps to protect the cells inside the battery.  I also have a NOCO charger that does a great job with the lithium batteries.  

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
 Post Reply Post Reply