Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lock out hubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMRoper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lock out hubs
    Posted: 25 June 2021 at 6:43am
Is there any brand or type of lockout hub that is more desirable than the others and what makes should you stay away from? Also what make is the rarest? Just thinking out in the shop this might help some of our future enthusiasts.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 7:27am
Nobody I know of still makes hubs that will fit the earlier Jeeps with the threaded axle shafts, for those you have to find a pair of the old style hubs which were deeper than later hubs. Warn made them, and several other brands were available including "Dualamatic", "Selectro", and the Sears brand "Allstate". Sears didn't make anything, and the hubs sold under their brand were made by several manufactures. I had a set of "Allstate" hubs which were just like "Selectro". Any of these are good hubs, but I like the simplicity of the Dualamatics, even if I don't know how to spell it.  

Beginning with the CJ3 Jeeps the threaded axle ends were eliminated by controlling the axle end play with a shouldered bushing in the spindle and a snap ring on the axles. The more recent Warn hubs will work with these, and there are several other brands available such as "Mile Marker", and "Rugged Ridge". I have a set of the "Rugged Ridge" hubs on my CJ2A which has later M38A1 axles (the later type with the shouldered bushings and snap rings). These hubs work fine, but I would prefer to have Warn hubs like are on my CJ5. I have no experience with the "Mile Marker" brand but they have a good reputation and are widely used. 

A side note:

Ignore any who advise cutting off the threaded portion of the old style axles. This is a common thing, but it is a very bad idea because it eliminates any control on axle end play which, depending on which axle type, can lead to prompt failure of the axle joint. The Spicer joints can survive this poor practice longer than the other joint types, which may have led folks to believe it is okay to do this, but don't ever do it. The better way to install modern hubs on the old axles is to upgrade to the newer style axles and bushings. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 25 June 2021 at 7:36am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
43 Flat-Fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 43 Flat-Fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2021 at 1:00pm
Well said Oldpappy.  Thumbs Up

Rob
GPW 94445 (DOD 01-25-43) Built in Louisville KY
Engine: MB341746
"Faithful Steed" since 1967
 Post Reply Post Reply