Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lock-Rite in the snow??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lock-Rite in the snow??
    Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 4:33pm
I know a lot of people here use the Lock-Rite unit. Does anyone have winter experience with them?

I'm looking at axle options and what I need to do to have good on- and off-road traction in loose snow, and packed snow & ice.

I'm thinking that even a selectable locker won't be the solution to street driving in the snow. It seems to me that a pair of posi units would be better.

Thoughts?

I'm considering a Dana 44 with a 30-spline conversion and an Eaton TrueTrack, but that's about $2500 in the future. I like the TrueTrack because of the type of differential it is - it's a Torsen-style unit similar to what's used in the Humvees. It's a limited slip that you can 'lock-up' by applying a bit of brake.

I haven't looked into front options yet. I will be keeping the 5.38s, though...
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 5:04pm
Les.
I have Lock Rites front and back. They work great in a straight line, but a slippery surface defeats the ratcheting action if there is ANY kind of torque applied in a turn, especially with narrow NDT tires. Makes for fun drifting action though. Sometimes on really slick snow, ice, or mud having the front axle locked can be slightly problematic in turns because one tire works against the other and then they both break loose and you slide straight ahead. I've found  with the Lock Rite that if I put it in 2wd in these situation I can get some steering control back. 

Here's a video of some "Dash Cam" shots of snow wheeling. I got some fat tires on for this run. The actual snow wheeling action starts at around the 6:00 mark.  

In this 2nd video at around the 10:55 mark I get hung up on a little wash out across the road that is slippery mud. I was turning my wheels right and I would get in the dip and slide left because the tires were locked together and causing slippage in the turn. I even had my front dual wheels on for this run. In the end I got over it by shifting out of 4wd, taking torque off of the Lock Rite which allows the wheels to free wheel independently and maintain some traction in the turn.

Edited by smfulle - 06 Nov. 2017 at 5:16pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 5:11pm
Damn, I love your videos! Thanks for the input.

I love the birch at 4:10. Beautiful trees.

Siena's footage starting at 8:10 is exactly the kind of roads I'm building for, but it needs to stay streetable.

Edited by LesBerg - 06 Nov. 2017 at 5:27pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 5:47pm
I had a 71 Ford F-250 4x4 truck that I installed Dana-Spicer Trac-Lok diffys in both front and rear. It didn't do bad in mud or deep snow, but was down right dangerous in light snow and ice. I had better control on ice in 2wd than 4wd. Because in 4wd all wheels were turning the truck had no "reference point" in the road to operate against and it would tend to go sideways. In 2wd while the rear tires were both turning, they had the front tires of the truck holding the truck in position. I considered putting the open diffy in the front again, but never got around to it. My oldest daughter asked me to give it to her for a wedding present in 2002, so I did. It was the truck she learned to drive in.

Anyway, that my experience with limited slip differentials. Good offroad, but can be hazardous if you don't know what you are doing on light snow or ice on pavement.

HTH
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 5:52pm
Honestly, this is pretty much what I expected to hear. Thanks for chiming in.

I think the long-term goal will be TrueTracks on both ends. Until then, it's still hard to stop a Willys with chains on all four corners. Thumbs Up
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 6:49pm
Les,

Our 1946 has Powerloks in the front and rear.  There are several threads out here in 2A Land of guys out West (Portland area I think), driving on ice, -they don't like them at all.  I am sure someone of them will chime in and give your the details.

From what I have experienced with the factory locker in our 2006 TJ Rubicon it is pretty nice.  We can use the 4WD and if it gets cross axled we just lock in the rear.

I do like the Powerloks for field work in Ohio.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 7:41pm
Les,   I have the factory Powr-lok in our 64 CJ-5.  On snow packed roads with some power on, not coasting, it will push straight through a curve.  Really gets your attention the first time or two.

We had the factory locker in the '01 Wrangler TJ Sport and it was really scary on packed snow/ice.
Had an Eaton E-Locker installed and winter driving is much more enjoyable.   I believe open differentials / selectable lockers for winter driving is the way to go.

Tom
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 8:49pm
I had a Ford 4X4 with AWD and 4WD. It was treacherous in AWD in light snow and ice. It was OK with 4WD, but I don't really like lockers in the front. I had a FJZ80 (TLC) with front. rear and center lockers. I almost NEVER ran it with the front lockers dialed in. My CJ2A has rear LockRights installed, but an open front. I avoid permanent (always on) front axle lockers - especially on snow and ice.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 9:18pm
I have a Power Lock in the rear of my 3B and a V6. It is pretty much undriveable on snow and ice unless you put it in 4X4. It works great offroad. I usually revert back to my'86 Volvo in the winter. It will go through 12" of snow. Huh, 2 wheel drive?

uncamonkey
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2017 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I have a Power Lock in the rear of my 3B and a V6. It is pretty much undriveable on snow and ice unless you put it in 4X4. It works great offroad. I usually revert back to my'86 Volvo in the winter. It will go through 12" of snow. Huh, 2 wheel drive?

Yeah, but an '86 Volvo ain't got flat fenders!

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 12:39am
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Yeah, but an '86 Volvo ain't got flat fenders!

They’re boxy but nice. 

I too will reach for the Volvo before venturing out on snowy roads with an 80” wheelbase jeep equipped with a locker. 

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 1:21am
My choice is to go with a selectable locker like the Eaton E locker allowing a stock normal differential operation or fully locked up like a spool.

Having driven on very slick surfaces a lot in cars and pickups as well as buses and trucks I do not like being shoved in a straight line when the Posi/Limited Slip Locker what ever does not allow the differential to work. I used to teach school buss drivers how to drive on snow and Ice. In Oregon we do not have the same kind of snow they do in the mid west. It normally has a layer of Black Ice under it and we do not use Salt here so you get VERY slick conditions without studs or chains.

And for the last 14+ years I have driven Construction Dump truck for a Paving and Site development co. And have a lot of hours on wet slick muddy work and dump sites and we only use our lockers to get us out of the trouble we get into with only one axle in normal operation.

Edited by Mark W. - 07 Nov. 2017 at 1:24am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 1:32am
Seems like that Wrangler never even spins a tire in the snow, even when pulling another vehicle out. All technique or what?
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 2:44pm
Running NDTs on slick hard surfaces can be a problem in and of itself.   My Dad's old '47 Chevy 2 ton wrecker had NDTs on the rear (he got a deal on them when he was building the wrecker).  I went out with him on a call once on icy roads and the rear was trying to slide all over the place.  I was driving, but handed it over to him as he was more used to it's being treacherous on slick surfaces.  Putting the rear axle in low did help some.  

Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2017 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Willy M Willy M wrote:

Running NDTs on slick hard surfaces can be a problem in and of itself.   My Dad's old '47 Chevy 2 ton wrecker had NDTs on the rear (he got a deal on them when he was building the wrecker).  I went out with him on a call once on icy roads and the rear was trying to slide all over the place.  I was driving, but handed it over to him as he was more used to it's being treacherous on slick surfaces.  Putting the rear axle in low did help some.  

I've never had much problem with all terrains on any of my 4wds.

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 1:13am
I thought I had replied to this but I don't see my post anywhere...

Are we all on the same page with differentiating lockers from limited slip units?

I get that lockers rock for trails, and LS units aren't usually as capable. The catch is that I'm hoping to be able to drive mine year-round. It'll see a lot of packed snow and ice.

If you watched the two videos Stan posted, understand that ALL of the forest service/logging roads out here are like that ravine where the sand rail went off the road. The mountain sides generally range from 30 degrees to near-vertical.

During hunting season, there's enough traffic that it takes less than a day for any snow on the road to be packed and glazed. From what I'm hearing here, I don't know that I want to drive those kinds of roads in the snow on lockers. 

Tires of choice, once I get them will likely be 30-31 inch narrow A/Ts as opposed to M/Ts, unless I end up on Super Traxions...

If I ever end up with a set of NDTs, they'll be strictly 'summer' tires.

We had an early snow this year. Two weekends ago we all went on the St. Joe river cruise on Lake Coeur d'Alene. It was a beautiful fall day. Last weekend we got hit with 14 inches of snow, most of which is still on the ground. The last thing I need is to be caught out hunting 50 miles into the mountains in a snow storm with the wrong tires.

The only phone service you'll get is satellite, and there are many places it's not reliable. Not that I have a sat-phone - too expensive for my blood.

Edited by LesBerg - 09 Nov. 2017 at 1:25am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 2:30am
Maybe the best year round solution is having two sets of axles.
Open differentials both front and rear in the winter with a modified shift rail twin stick Dana 20 so you can use front drive only (AKA FRONT DIGGS). 
Front Diggs will give you full steering control when under power on the slick stuff ....

Selectable lockers  might be O.K. 
Not sure if they effect the steering  on snow/ice when disengaged ?
Ask Jeff bout that !

Myself I have 4 sets of axles all with front and rear Powr Loks.....

Edited by oldtime - 09 Nov. 2017 at 2:41am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

David Fillman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Fillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 2:12pm
I have Lock Rites front and rear in my 1945 Willys. They provide excellent off road traction but make for very wide turns in 4WD. I removed the interlock in my Browne Lipe model 18 transfer case so I can select 2WD low range to make sharp turns easier off road. Take it easy in 2WD low or you will snap an axle. No big deal in the Willys with rear floating hubs, but big deal in a CJ2A.

On road I have to release one of the front hubs or steering will be very jerky on hard top in 2WD high range. The rear diff will clank and rattle going around a turn. You can feel it grabbing and releasing. Apply throttle in a turn on hard top and be ready for instant power oversteer due to the rear locker engaging.

The MB with junk NDTs will go through up to 24" of snow depending on how hard packed it is. I compete in local Jeep events and was having a hard time going through an obstacle course some years ago. I had made it 3/4s of the way through beyond where many drivers had given up when I realized I had forgotten to lock the front hubs. That gives you some idea of how well the rear Lock Rite was working. 
Dave Fillman
www.fillmanmachining.com
1946 Bantam T3-C trailer
1945 Willys MB
1968 Hemi-Cuda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>