Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looing to buy jeep CJ7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keshav05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looing to buy jeep CJ7
    Posted: 23 June 2017 at 11:43pm
Well guys, My name is Keshav and am looking to buy a 1976 jeep CJ7. The jeep runs good , about 80k miles nevertheless the steering was quite free, to me very risky and unpredictable above 40mph. What is the approximated expense to repair? BTW, i looked at http://www.autozin.com/for-sale/all-cj7-jeep-4x4 butyour views and recommendations are welcome if got any better idea.
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 12:09am
Besure to check the body tub around the body mounts, jeeps of that vintage have issues with the tub rusting out around the mounting bolts especially in northern climates. 

free manual avail here; http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html

For steering freeplay check for wear at all connections and tie rods from the steering wheel to each wheel. Use a helper and have them gently rock the steering wheel back and forth while you use your fingers to bridge across each joint in the steering shaft and all the wear points down to the wheel. 

Also check to see if it has the leaf springs under the axles (normal position) or on top of the axle (spring over)  usually with a spring over the steering geometry has been compromised, losing caster and causing the vehicle to drive erratically. Tire wear can be a good indicator of geometry issues on a modified jeep. 

Cost depends on whether you will repair or have a shop do it.  It would be very easy to spend several hundred dollars on replacment parts or labor so factor that in on your offer if it needs it.

The early CJ5 page has a forum section for later model jeeps they could give their opinions too. Look in the intermediate jeeps forum section

Edited by jeeper50 - 24 June 2017 at 12:26am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 2:43am
A 41-year-old CJ-7 with only 80K miles but worn out steering?  Something seems strange there. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
masscj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masscj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 3:45am
I would not trust the link. This is a 2a site and that seems strange to be posted here.......No? Just a thought.
1946 CJ2a Dauntless aka Jalopy
1946 VEC stock
1981 CJ-8 5.3 LS
1966 CJ-6 SBC TUX
1968 CJ-6 225 V6
1974 CJ-6 4.2
1967 M-416
East Coast Modified CJ's
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 4:39am
Have a '75 CJ5 (& CJ2's...) that took a number of items to bring the steering into what I had remembered when bought another new back in the day.  The most beneficial were spring bushings on all corners and upper and lower ball joints. The local Jeep dealer said 'that's just the way they drive' - "Nuts" to that.
Should check all steering linkage parts, alignment - especially castor as mentioned before.  Good luck!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 5:08am
Yeah, I doubt if it only has 80K. Since the odometer in those years did not have a 6th digit, I would guess at least 180K & possibly 280K. Heck, even 380K is possible. My brother in law had a 1977 CJ-5, it had 295K when he sold it in 2010.

As far as cost to repair, we can not even guess as we have no idea what is worn out. As has been said many things affect the steering. Worn tie rods, worn steering knuckles, broken springs (front & rear), worn steering box, broken frame, bent axle housings... The list is almost endless. It will not be less than $300.00, the upper end of the price line is way more than the Jeep is worth.

If it has worn out steering, what else is worn out? Gear boxes, rear ends, & the engine is suspect. Have you done a compression test? A worn out engine can run fine for a few minutes on a warm day. What is the oil pressure like at idle at temperature? What is it running down the road when warm.

I am not trying to scare you off. I just want you to have a Jeep that you can enjoy without too much extra cost. I would rather that you put your extra cash into the fuel that you will burn driving it.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
keshav05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keshav05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

A 41-year-old CJ-7 with only 80K miles but worn out steering?  Something seems strange there. 

Me too that's why asked.
koji7868 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koji7868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by masscj2a masscj2a wrote:

I would not trust the link. This is a 2a site and that seems strange to be posted here.......No? Just a thought.
It feels me too but not sure, may be true.

Post Reply Post Reply