Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at a 46 2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at a 46 2a
    Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 3:18am
hello all, I'm looking at a 2a willys.  It's all stock, and has been owned by the same person for 40 pIus years. 

Here's the details:  no rust,  body looks totally straight.   Koenig winch, locking hubs, cant remember which..  all stock drivetrain.. 

What should I check for?  I'm new to willys

Thanks, chris 
Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 3:28am
A clear title, compression check will tell a lot.  How well does it start, drive and stop?
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 3:37am
Buford, thanks for your reply.  He says compression is good, but I will be checking.   By the way, what should it be?
  He says oil pressure is 25 idle and 40 plus on throttle.  Wheel cylinders are new, and fluid is changed.. I'll be checking those as well. 

Chris 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 3:49am
Will defer to other opinions... 
For me anything over 90 is good, differences in readings of 20 psi are a concern.  
Lots of info on this site, the search feature is good.
Oil pressure sounds nice.
What the heck, buy it and have fun.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 3:50am
I would go for a test drive,see how tight is the front end,steering,put the transmission through the gears,see if it  doesn’t kick out of second gear when coasting.Try the transfer case see if the 4 wheel drive works.Remember, it doesn’t drive like a new Jeep.Good luck with the Jeep and hope it’s what your looking for.

Giles
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 3:58am
thanks Giles and Buford.   Gonna check it out tomorrow. 

Chris 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2018 at 4:02am
Welcome to the page, Cgollihar!  Get under the Jeep and look closely at things.  Check the manual to see what things should look like.  The manual:

There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 3:49am
well, looked at the jeep, and the body is perfect.  It finally started, and ran roughly.   Leaking on the intake gasket, and tighten bolts... tried to restart,  and nothing... opened fuel line, and gets pressure..  so, pulled off top of carb, and crap in the float bowl.  Did compression test, and 3 cylinders were 90 plus  and one a little over 80.  Added a little oil, and up to 90 plus.

Couldn't drive because it doesn't idle, and I wouldn't buy if I can't drive it.  And one other thing, it's for sale on Ebay at the same time... looks like I'll let this one go..

The search continues...
 Chris

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Cgollihar Cgollihar wrote:

well, looked at the jeep, and the body is perfect.  It finally started, and ran roughly.   Leaking on the intake gasket, and tighten bolts... tried to restart,  and nothing... opened fuel line, and gets pressure..  so, pulled off top of carb, and crap in the float bowl.  Did compression test, and 3 cylinders were 90 plus  and one a little over 80.  Added a little oil, and up to 90 plus.

Couldn't drive because it doesn't idle, and I wouldn't buy if I can't drive it.  And one other thing, it's for sale on Ebay at the same time... looks like I'll let this one go..

The search continues...
 Chris

Perfect body? Runs but carb is gunked up? Compression decent? for the money, I'd be all over that.....test drive or not. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 12:35pm
On EBay?
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 1:35pm
Not sure this the same Jeep.

There is a green 1946 CJ2A on Ebay in Rothnert Park, Ca.  The Jeep looks very complete.  There are a few items that could be switch out to make it a totally stock Cj2A.  Looks very nice.  

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 1:50pm
That looks like a very nice jeep. If I were you, I'd go back for another look. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 1:53pm
No Fender, I didn't know it was on EBAY at the same time.  And the AD said perfect condition, and for $8,500 i hoped it would be.  I thought it was a nice.  $300 for a carb or so isn't a big deal. but it kinda pissed me off what the guy did.

Chris
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 1:55pm
Stev,  That is a different one.  I just sent the owner a message... It looks sharp, and probably half hour or so away.. Thanks for the lead brother..

chris

Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 2:01pm
Hey Buford, Yeah, It's listed on Ebay.  I did a search before I went out to look, and couldn't find it.  Also, the Ebay, and CL ad doesnt say can sell locally on CL.  He is an older guy, but the high bidder should know the condition on the jeep...I really like it, but the situation is kinda messed up.

chris
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 2:01pm
Chris - can you share a link to the one you looked at?
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Cgollihar Cgollihar wrote:

No Fender, I didn't know it was on EBAY at the same time.  And the AD said perfect condition, and for $8,500 i hoped it would be.  I thought it was a nice.  $300 for a carb or so isn't a big deal. but it kinda pissed me off what the guy did.

Chris

For some reason I was under the impression the price tag was far cheaper than that. At 8500 - not being able to drive - yes I can see your point. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2018 at 2:38pm
ndnchief, can't figure out how to copy link.  It ends today at 5pm PST.. it's in Orinda, Ca about an hour from me..

Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>