Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for #28024

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManWanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for #28024
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 10:56am
Hello, I realize this may be an impossible task but back in 1972, I sold my 1946 Willys CJ-2A jeep VIN CJ2A28024 to a gentleman who I believe was taking it to his WV farm.

I've tried to locate it through federal agencies but because the VIN is not a 12 digit number, there is
no record of it to help me narrow down where it currently is.

This was my first vehicle I bought when I was 17 years old so it's sentimental and now at 69, I'm on
a mission to locate it and see if I can buy it back.

I sincerely appreciate anyones help and thank you for taking time to read my message.

-Bob
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 11:21am
Not in the data base unfortunately.

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 11:25am
After 5+ decades, you may have to find several Willys and reassemble it.  The proverbial needle in a haystack.  Good luck!
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 11:49am
I think I understand the sentiment.
My very first cj-2A (bought in 1975) is the only one out of a dozen + that I can remember the serial number without thinking about it.
Sold it to thin the herd back in 1989. But otherwise I don’t miss it too much have much better jeeps these days.
Anyone seen 1948 #164458 ?

Edited by oldtime - 16 Jan. 2022 at 11:51am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 11:52am
My brother just found and bought back his first car (a Fire bird) this summer, so it does happen. That being said that's a pretty cold trail.  You might consider finding another one and "make it" back to how you want it, while you keep looking.  They sure are fun to bomb around in.  Good luck!
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by windyhill windyhill wrote:

...You might consider finding another one and "make it" back to how you want it, while you keep looking...

x2

I'm not suggesting that you give up, but it's been a LOOOnggg time.  My bet is that even if you find it that it will not be the same jeep so fondly in your memory, save for a number tag... and you'll end up making it back how you want it anyway.

0.02   Good luck with your search Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
OldManWanders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManWanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 1:28pm
Thanks everyone - I do have my last vehicle registration before I sold it.  I know it's been a looong time but I was not in a position to look for it until after I retired.  Getting old and sentimental!

I paid $600 for it in 1969, was a small fortune for me and then it started breaking down a lot.  I spent a year and $2100 completely rebuilding it in 1970 but it was my pride and joy.  It was a real "chick magnet" believe it or not - the girls always wanted to hit the beach or sand dunes in it. All my friends had muscle cars back then but I had the most fun with the CJ.  If I build another one, it just won't be the same!

Not giving up yet.

-Bob
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2022 at 3:37pm
Got pics?  Was it stock, modified, what distinguishing things to look for?  Column shift with tool indents?
Mike in AZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManWanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 8:21am
Mike, I sent you pics in a private message; not sure how to upload so all can see or if that is even allowed.

28024 was all numbers matching at the time I did my resto.  Seats were not original, color was the factory Harvest Red, column shift, pto on the back, no too indents.

-Bob
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 9:34am
Not sure how to upload pics. Color looks light in pics. Harvest tan?  Be cool if it can be found and you can get it back
Mike in AZ
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 9:59am
If you want to PM me the picture , I'll see if I can post it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 11:06am
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManWanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 11:26am
pic of 20248, B+W taken 1970, jeep is Harvest Red, no filler opening and no top post mounts.  Tank was in the rear bed area, 12 gals and was changed by the previous owner so I left it.  I tried editing the pic before I uploaded it but there were problems saving it.  Hope this is ok.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManWanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 11:28am
28024, sorry I messed up the VIN
1wayout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1wayout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 12:08pm
Hey Bob, as the search narrows down, do you recall where in West Virginia it went? I live in Virginia and am in WV a good bit. I also know a handful of collectors and collections in WV so maybe we could narrow it down. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManWanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2022 at 2:05pm
Unfortunately, I don't know where in WV specifically it was going.  If you run itno one of your friends, give them the VIN number.  I can private message you my vehicle registration from 1972 if you like.

Again, many, many thanks guys - you have given me hope that I might get lucky!

-Bob
Bitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 3:31am
Not sure what you put in for the vin but I found mine just with the numbers (no CJ2 in front) via one of the several data base search tools. I didn’t find it in several of them either. So suggest try just numbers and google the different ones and see if better luck. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldManWanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2022 at 7:20am
On the last registration I have for it, the VIN is CJ2A28024.  I did a Federal database search on that # and the shortened # 28024.  Nothing showed up because the federal VIN system requires a minimum of 12 digits.

Im hoping by getting the word out that Im looking for 28024, someone someday may run across it and let me know.  Would be nice to find it and see if I can buy it and bring it home.

Thx,
-Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>