Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a block
    Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 8:41am
Looking for a rebuild-able L134 block within driving distance of southeast Virginia.  I would consider buying a complete engine if the price was right, but what I'm really looking for is a block.  Thanks

OldJeepBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2021 at 12:14pm
I have two, one rusty, in NE GA, where GA, NC and SC meet.  That is driving R/T one day, depending on where you are. OldJeepBob
REPS
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2021 at 11:50pm
I have several L134 engines and am about an eight hour drive from you. 

I have pulled the heads off of two of them which I think are good cores. No visible cracks, but I haven't torn them all the way down yet. One I believe to be a late 48 CJ2A engine, the other is out of a 49 CJ3A. 

Edited by Oldpappy - 18 Oct. 2021 at 12:06am
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2021 at 11:54am
Be sure to have them magna-fluxed, because the outside waterjackets crack and won't be visible to the naked eye.   The several i have witnessed were cracked on the passenger side up high and around the Distributor boss.

I was just bs'ing with a local engine builder here in Calif. last week, who "use to" rebuild L134's for a resale company.   This was several decades ago, before he ceased L134's.
After taking back two engines sent to the eastern U.S., he quit building L134's because blocks were compromised decades ago before men used glycol Anti-Freeze.
He did rebuild my brother-in-law's L134  3-years ago because the engine was a known-good block with no compromises.  Ran very good.

Another L134 engine builder back when,  decades ago also, did the same, and quit for the same.
He shared this bit of info last year Covid 2020 year. because i paid him to clean and mag two blocks.
This builder bores and sleeves the Distributor hole because he has had them come back because of the block cracking across through the hole when the freeze pushed out the dist. boss.   yep.
He recommends pressure test the block for water leaks before any machining, if not a "known-good" block casting.

Edited by Greaser007 - 27 Oct. 2021 at 1:44pm
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2021 at 1:42pm
 I have seen my share of them with the very common crack near the distributor, but that crack is fairly easy to fix, and doesn't mean the block isn't worth using, depending on the other findings.

It only makes sense to have one pressure tested before investing in the machine work.  

The OP hasn't responded to this thread, so I assume he has already found what he needed.

Edited by Oldpappy - 02 Nov. 2021 at 1:48pm
Kinnett View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kinnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2021 at 8:19am
Hey guys, sorry for not responding. I've been out of the country and not checking the site. Old Jeep Bob and Old Pappy I sent you both PMs.  
Afcm1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afcm1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov. 2021 at 6:27pm
I’m looking for a donor chain drive L134 engine, I have a good block, cam and head, looking for everything else crankshaft, rods and all accessories. Must be a chain drive engine to work with my project. Would like one within driving distance of West Virginia if possible. Will consider paying shipping if the price is right.
adam18830 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam18830 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 2:41pm
I have a few cj2a engines, long bocks,  gear drive,   3 i have seen run. No visible cracks in blocks.

located in NE PA

Adam
Afcm1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afcm1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2021 at 7:17pm
Thanks,
But pickups donor engine from Bruce this past weekend. It looks to have everything in need.
Afcm1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afcm1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2022 at 5:15pm
Do still have any chain drive L134 engines available?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2022 at 5:46pm
I DN know if it is chain or gear.  I did not take ting cover off.  Any other way to tell?  Busy Sat, but could look sun/Mon.
REPS
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2022 at 6:47pm
OldJeepBob.  Link, page 14. Shows diff in front timing covers, chain vs. gear drive

Mike in AZ
Afcm1973 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afcm1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2022 at 10:29am
Block casting number on the passenger side of the block just forward of where the starter goes. If it starts with “63” it’s a chain drive, “64” is a gear drive.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2022 at 11:09am
Good tip about the casting number, I didn't know that would tell.

Certainly can't tell for sure by the timing cover. I had an engine that had been pulled out of a M38 so I expected it to be gear drive, and it had a timing cover for a gear drive but when I started tearing it down to my surprise it was actually a chain drive engine with the wrong timing cover. Without the cam plunger the cam was able to walk and the chain had dug into the cover a little, so even though it is not a good idea someone had used that cover either through ignorance, or out of necessity. 

Anyone reading this thread who needs a block can PM me. I have a couple recently torn down for inspection. No cracks, but they both need some machine shop work to be buildable. 

adam18830 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam18830 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2022 at 10:22am
Dont believe the numbers either,  there are exceptions to that,  pull the fuel pump and look what way the cam turns when turning crank, same direction its chain,  opposite its gear.
you can convert chain engine blocks to gear and vice versa.

I sold all my chain cj2a engines.  I have late MB chain engines,  cores  $1500. each,  plus crating and shipping.

Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2022 at 12:27pm
See PM I sent with email.
REPS
 Post Reply Post Reply